Jesuits........"Question Mark"

What do you think of Jesuits?

Pope Francis I is a Jesuit. Father Mitch Pacwa is a Jesuit, I have heard of many other faithful Jesuits both conservative and some that you would call liberal.

What about their schools?

I have heard more negative than positive about this order, why?

And just for giggles what is your favorite order?

Answering the last question: Jesuits

[quote="SonSearcher, post:1, topic:320057"]

Pope Francis I is a Jesuit. Father Mitch Pacwa is a Jesuit, I have heard of many other faithful Jesuits both conservative and some that you would call liberal.

[/quote]

I had two years of Jesuit high school and graduated from a Jesuit university. They are excellent teachers. They get a bad rap because they are often at the edge of theological exploration and study. By and large they are as Catholic as the Pope. (pun intended)

My favorite order from experience is the Jesuits, but from my reading it is the Franciscans. No one can read about Francis and not fall in love with the man. He is nearly Christ reincarnated a thousand years later. He was not even a priest-- he did not feel himself worthy of such an honor. His humility is legendary. And his bravery, crossing enemy lines back and forth during the Crusades giving aid to the wounded on both sides. You know a man is Christian when he always has the right course of action or words for every situation. Francis was that man.

As for hearing mostly negative about the Jesuits, that makes them fit perfectly in the mold of the Church, which is probably the most criticized organization on earth.

[quote="JamesCaruso, post:3, topic:320057"]
I had two years of Jesuit high school and graduated from a Jesuit university. They are excellent teachers. They get a bad rap because they are often at the edge of theological exploration and study. By and large they are as Catholic as the Pope. (pun intended)

My favorite order from experience is the Jesuits, but from my reading it is the Franciscans. No one can read about Francis and not fall in love with the man. He is nearly Christ reincarnated a thousand years later. He was not even a priest-- he did not feel himself worthy of such an honor. His humility is legendary. And his bravery, crossing enemy lines back and forth during the Crusades giving aid to the wounded on both sides. You know a man is Christian when he always has the right course of action or words for every situation. Francis was that man.

As for hearing mostly negative about the Jesuits, that makes them fit perfectly in the mold of the Church, which is probably the most criticized organization on earth.

[/quote]

Hear, hear.

[/quote]

I also hear good things about the Jesuits so I think my favourite order is: The Society of Jesus aka Jesuits. :thumbsup:

I know a few, and I love 'em. Some were friends before discerning at all! All holy, Orthodox men!

Of course, in jest, one friend said should be become pope, he'd make me a cardinal... of course, that was 15 yrs ago.. hahaha... and a Jesuit is pope... we are STILL laughing!

Jesuits are not afraid to criticize the church and ask critical questions. For most Jesuits, their questions are out of love for the church and their desire to make her better and stronger.
That has been my experience with Jesuits over the past 30 years. Many Catholics seem to have issues with this type of behavior and prefer to simply accede without comment.

oh, and by the way, I like the Franciscans, so this pope is a great spiritual blend of two of the greatest saints in the church, a Jesuit with a Franciscan heart.

I think it was Francis himself who said that Jesuits work on the edges and, because of that, run the risk of sometimes crossing the boundaries.

In answer to the last part: Benedictines (OSB) - ora et labore (work & prayer)

[/quote]

I love all the ones I know!

They're so awesome, I've even got an Evangelical friend who loves Jesuits. :)

[/quote]

I like different orders for different reasons. :)

[quote="InThePew, post:9, topic:320057"]
I think it was Francis himself who said that Jesuits work on the edges and, because of that, run the risk of sometimes crossing the boundaries.

[/quote]

I'm guessing you mean Pope Francis rather than St. Francis? :)

ummm, I am still trying to understand what sets one order apart from another; what it means to have an order at all. Help please??!!!

I am a newbie…

But the most helpful priests I have known I’ve met recently (and before Pope Francis was elected!!) and are Jesuits. Down to earth, great homilies, and funny. Personable. This is what I like in a priest to start, anyway, as again, I am a newbie.
But the local Benedictines make fantastic jams/jellies and are expected to open their brewery this summer!!! :slight_smile:

[quote="cheezey, post:11, topic:320057"]
ummm, I am still trying to understand what sets one order apart from another; what it means to have an order at all. Help please??!!!

I am a newbie..

But the most helpful priests I have known I've met recently (and before Pope Francis was elected!!) and are Jesuits. Down to earth, great homilies, and funny. Personable. This is what I like in a priest to start, anyway, as again, I am a newbie.
But the local Benedictines make fantastic jams/jellies and are expected to open their brewery this summer!!! :)

[/quote]

Brother Jay (JReducation) has written much about this, and I think he had a "handy-dandy cheat sheet"! :p I will try to find it or PM him and see if he has somethign that can give you some general information.

You must be near St. Joseph's Abbey! My boss goes there on retreat every year and brings home the most yummy jams! :D I did not know they were going to start making beer- YEA!!! :D

The Jesuits are a wonderful religious order which, because of their mission, can act most effectively towards the conversion of the young and intellectual communities. I am actually about to begin the pre-novitiate process in the Society of Jesus, please pray for me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.