Jesuits

Would anyone happen to know of any good books on the history of the Jesuits? Why where they repressed? Why were they brought back? How much of St. Ignatious military experiance affect the making of the Order? Does it have a Third something (I can’t remeber what it is right now but, it is supposed to mean a part for layity I think)?

For starters try this website: newadvent.org/cathen/14081a.htm

From there you will see related links at the bottom of the page addressing before, during, interim and after surpression.

Good Luck

Vatican II

[quote=Montie Claunch]Does it have a Third something (I can’t remeber what it is right now but, it is supposed to mean a part for layity I think)?
[/quote]

You refer to the “Third Order.” Within a Religious Order, you have First Order (Ordained), Second Order (professed brothers/sisters), and Third Order (ordinary laity who live within the Rule of the Order as much as lay life permits). Not all Orders have a Third Order. I don’t believe the Jesuits do.

there is an active thread on this topic
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=79448&highlight=Jesuits

why not do a search if you are interested in a commonly asked question. also, it is most helpful if you first visit the CA homepage, consult the tracts, library, This Rock etc. for answers to commonly asked questions, then come here for more info and discussion.

[quote=DavidFilmer]You refer to the “Third Order.” Within a Religious Order, you have First Order (Ordained), Second Order (professed brothers/sisters), and Third Order (ordinary laity who live within the Rule of the Order as much as lay life permits). Not all Orders have a Third Order. I don’t believe the Jesuits do.
[/quote]

Dave you are correct in that no formal third order exists within the Society of Jesus. However, the closest organization to a third order would be the Jesuit Volunteer Corp which you can explore at their website jesuitvolunteers.org/

:tiphat:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.