Jesus a prophet?

Is Jesus also a prophet? A lot of verses in the bible says that Jesus is a prophet, what is the difference of a prophet Jesus, and other prophets like Moses, Zechariah, Isaiah…

The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him.- Deuteronomy 18:15

Here, Moses Prophesied Jesus as a prophet, so the question is, Jesus is a prophet? If he is, what is the difference of Jesus the prophet to other prophets like Moses, Isaiah etc…

No, Jesus is God, not a prophet of God.

“A lot of verses in the bible says…” references please so we can address them individually. The second sentence here is why we do not call Jesus a prophet, you equate Him, who is God, with humans.

Deuteronomy 18,15 is NOT speaking of Jesus.

[quote=www.drbo.org] Deuteronomy 18,18 I will raise them up a prophet out of the midst of their brethren like to thee: and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I shall command him. 19 And he that will not hear his words, which he shall speak in my name, I will be the revenger. 20 But the prophet, who being corrupted with pride, shall speak in my name things that I did not command him to say, or in the name of strange gods, shall be slain. 21 And if in silent thought thou answer: How shall I know the word that the Lord hath not spoken? 22 Thou shalt have this sign: Whatsoever that same prophet foretelleth in the name of the Lord, and it cometh not to pass: that thing the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath forged it by the pride of his mind: and therefore thou shalt not fear him.
[/quote]

One sign of a true prophet is that his prophesies are not wrong. Jesus was not corrupted with pride.

Well, Islam considers Jesus a prophet

But we’re not Muslims

Catechism of the Catholic Church:

CCC 783 Jesus Christ is the one whom the Father anointed with the Holy Spirit and established as priest, prophet, and king. The whole People of God participates in these three offices of Christ and bears the responsibilities for mission and service that flow from them.

Well then, even the Catholic Catechism confirms that Jesus is a prophet… But what is the difference of a Jesus prophet, to other prophets? Aside from, the other prophets of course is only human beings…

I am a catholic, of course i know he is God, a prophet, a King, Lord, Lord of Lords, King of Kings, Messiah…

Being a prophet entails more than predicting the future. It also means drawing people closer to God, no matter how much they don’t want to hear it. Jesus was a prophet in both senses of the word.

One person can be many things–teacher, brother, father, son and friend. Holding one title, does not take away from the others.

The fact that Jesus was a prophet and a teacher–does not take away from His role as the Son of God.

a prophet is a teacher, and Jesus was the best teacher of all.

Being a prophet does not automatically infer anything more than the reality that all Israel’s prophets called the people back to Yahweh, to his precepts, to his covenant. This does not eliminate the possibility of the prophets forecasting future events, but it is not intrinsically implied.

Jesus’ own ability to forecast events is rather ambivalent. On one hand there’s his ability to forecast the destruction of Jerusalem in Luke’s Gospel, but then there’s also Mark 13:32.

So what is the difference of Jesus the prophet, to other prophets?

They, in their individual ways, were pointing towards Him, towards God’s reign of justice and divine peace. Jesus, however, points to Himself as the only one able to establish God’s Kingdom: “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” His words and actions gave rise to the crowds spontaneously acclaiming Him a prophet (Mt. 16:14; Lk. 7:16; Jn. 4:19, 9:17), . . .

. . .which in individual situations means the prophet par excellence foretold in Scriptures (Jn. 1:21, 6:14, 7:40). Dictionary of Biblical Theology by Xavier Leon-Dufour

You’re misunderstanding Deut 18:15-22. It it not speaking of the same prophet over and over again.
"The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brethren – him you shall heed – just as you desired of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly, when you said, `Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, or see this great fire any more, lest I die.’

"And the LORD said to me, `They have rightly said all that they have spoken. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brethren; and I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not give heed to my words which he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him. But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.

“And if you say in your heart, `How may we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ – when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously, you need not be afraid of him.”

Jesus, unlike other teachers, spoke with authority, not for authority. In the same way, Jesus, as the Word of God, was not only the mouth but also the source of the prophecy he spoke.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.