Jesus and Cannabis

cannabisculture.com/backissues/cc11/christ.html

Thoughts or opinions? Do we have any people here who use weed themselves?

I don't, and I never will but thats due to personal choice and what I perceive it to be.

And if anybody doesn't want to read the article, ill just say that it talks and notes scriptures in which god used marijuana. Although it does not say he actually 'smoked' it, but he could have gotten high off of it in other ways? I dont know. Thinking of jesus as a person who got high off of weed doesn't exactly seem... right.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:1, topic:212371"]
hbe.

And if anybody doesn't want to read the article, ill just say that it talks and notes scriptures in which god used marijuana.

[/quote]

then the article lies, no need to waste time on it
anyone in America who uses illegal drugs recreationally contributes directly, materially, substantially and sinfully to the drug culture and violence in Mexico that is spilling over our borders. those 72 dead bodies discovered last week? your work, congratulations.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:212371"]
then the article lies, no need to waste time on it
anyone in America who uses illegal drugs recreationally contributes directly, materially, substantially and sinfully to the drug culture and violence in Mexico that is spilling over our borders. those 72 dead bodies discovered last week? your work, congratulations.

[/quote]

"My work"? I hope you weren't talking to me, because:

I said that I DONT USE WEED and that I DONT PROMOTE IT.

I am against it, but i wanted to see what people in this forum thought of it.

Jesus could not have used weed as it is a New World plant.

And HE would not have used it, as HE lived HIS life in full unclouded mind. Even when dying, he refused the sour wine.

We are to use our minds, not fuddle them.

ICXC NIKA

its garbage just some stoners way of trying to say weed should be legal cause hey God made it and God used it .. btw previous to mass hybriding hemp has just about no thc and is really a great resource , but do to sin we are not able to use it . sigh . Its a good thing God has so much patience with us .

It seems far worse than ‘not exactly right.’

Oh, and God made hemlock, too. Where are all the people who run around saying, 'Hemlock’s natural, let’s DRINK it?"

And rattlesnakes.

And poison ivy.

But if it’s ‘natural’ it can’t harm you! Right?

[quote="GEddie, post:4, topic:212371"]
Jesus could not have used weed as it is a New World plant.

And HE would not have used it, as HE lived HIS life in full unclouded mind. Even when dying, he refused the sour wine.

We are to use our minds, not fuddle them.

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

I think by "God used weed", he means that Biblical quote where God tells Moses to gather cannabis (didn't read the article, don't feel like looking for it).

According to Elton John, Jesus was an intelligent gay man.

[quote="MarianD, post:7, topic:212371"]
I think by "God used weed", he means that Biblical quote where God tells Moses to gather cannabis (didn't read the article, don't feel like looking for it).

[/quote]

1. im not a guy
  2. i dont smoke weed, because im against it. i think it makes you look and act like a flippin idiot. plus, it lowers fertility, slows your reaction time, kills your brain cells and messes up your memory. oh, and it smells bad. and its illegal!
  3. all i did was post a link that apparently says god used it and then quotes scripture

i just wanted to see what you guys thought of this. im glad im not the only one here who is against weed. its hard these days because so many people in my generation smoke weed and i feel like im the only one that sees it as trashy.

[quote="bkayw, post:8, topic:212371"]
According to Elton John, Jesus was an intelligent gay man.

[/quote]

I've heard tons of atheists say stuff like that. And they couldn't be further from the truth.

They're refering to Exodus 30:22-23 in the beginning, otherwise tl;dr. There, they're making an oil for annointing without reference to cannabis, in my translation. As geddie said, the wrong kind of hemp were unknown in these areas and times.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:3, topic:212371"]
"My work"? I hope you weren't talking to me, because:

I said that I DONT USE WEED and that I DONT PROMOTE IT.

I am against it, but i wanted to see what people in this forum thought of it.

[/quote]

I specifically excluded you in my statement

[quote="puzzleannie, post:12, topic:212371"]
I specifically excluded you in my statement

[/quote]

Alright. It sounded like you were talking to me, so thank you for clarifying that.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:9, topic:212371"]
1. im not a guy
2. i dont smoke weed, because im against it. i think it makes you look and act like a flippin idiot. plus, it lowers fertility, slows your reaction time, kills your brain cells and messes up your memory. oh, and it smells bad. and its illegal!
3. all i did was post a link that apparently says god used it and then quotes scripture

i just wanted to see what you guys thought of this. im glad im not the only one here who is against weed. its hard these days because so many people in my generation smoke weed and i feel like im the only one that sees it as trashy.

[/quote]

...I never suggested either #2 or #3.

Original poster and others:

What about for medical purposes? If we looked at the double standard there in the world, then technically by your definition we shouldn't have perscription medicine right? I think that medical purposes are just not recreational uses for the drug. However, what about another way of looking at it though. What if millions to billions of dollars returning in revenue to the state and rehabilitating drug offenders by the tax funds like the Proposition 19 in california propose? I wonder how come it is that another person is copable for anothers acts? I mean look at alcohol and the damage it rots our society with as well. So, prohibition didn't work then nor is the Drug War making much strides either just more violence in poor Mexico. Sort of damned if you do or damned if you don't like in Northern Texas where I used to live and in New Mexico and Nevada as well. No family values cause in part the sexual revolution, mainstream media, liberals, radical conservatives and prowar/anti-poor volunttering and work intiatives to alievate these addictions. Anyways, I'm not advocating any of this really on the forum just there are ways at looking at things in another paradime.

I’ve been sober for about a year and seven months. Pot wasn’t my drug of choice, though I admit to smoking it in the past.

Pot is, in my opinion, without question the gateway drug. Alot of people I know who became hardcore druggies started in Jr high/high school with pot. The issue that few people want to talk about is that it starts with “oh, I’m cool with pot.” then it goes, “Well, pot doesn’t give me a kick-try X”. When X gets bored, they try cocaine.

It’s very serious, I’m sorry to say. No, I don’t claim that everyone who tries pot will go to ecstasy or coke, but the majority of addicts didn’t start by snorting cocaine in the bathroom in 7h grade.

[quote="Peter5, post:15, topic:212371"]
Original poster and others:

What about for medical purposes? If we looked at the double standard there in the world, then technically by your definition we shouldn't have perscription medicine right? I think that medical purposes are just not recreational uses for the drug. However, what about another way of looking at it though. What if millions to billions of dollars returning in revenue to the state and rehabilitating drug offenders by the tax funds like the Proposition 19 in california propose? I wonder how come it is that another person is copable for anothers acts? I mean look at alcohol and the damage it rots our society with as well. So, prohibition didn't work then nor is the Drug War making much strides either just more violence in poor Mexico. Sort of damned if you do or damned if you don't like in Northern Texas where I used to live and in New Mexico and Nevada as well. No family values cause in part the sexual revolution, mainstream media, liberals, radical conservatives and prowar/anti-poor volunttering and work intiatives to alievate these addictions. Anyways, I'm not advocating any of this really on the forum just there are ways at looking at things in another paradime.

[/quote]

I personally do believe all drugs should be legalized. Now you'll probably ask why because i said im against drugs. Well the answer is that there is SO much crime trying to get it, and if alcohol and ciggs are legal, then so should pot. I would never do it, due to the reasons i listed above, but i DO think it should be legalized. It makes no sense for it to be illegal. Also too, people will do it no matter if its legal or not. Then again, i feel the same about abortion. The thing with abortion is that people will do it NO MATTER WHAT.
So the real question is: do we do it in a controlled environment (clinic), or do we do it back street. Same with drugs. Drugs are dangerous too. They can kill you, and others for that matter. When you're high on crack, chances are you're much more likely to do something stupid which would harm others or even kill them. I think if drugs were legalized, more people would do them. If more people do them, more people will be able to see the reactions of drugs more, due to that, people would be more likely to quit due to what they've seen.

[quote="Rascalking, post:16, topic:212371"]
I've been sober for about a year and seven months. Pot wasn't my drug of choice, though I admit to smoking it in the past.

Pot is, in my opinion, without question the gateway drug. Alot of people I know who became hardcore druggies started in Jr high/high school with pot. The issue that few people want to talk about is that it starts with "oh, I'm cool with pot." then it goes, "Well, pot doesn't give me a kick-try X". When X gets bored, they try cocaine.

It's very serious, I'm sorry to say. No, I don't claim that everyone who tries pot will go to ecstasy or coke, but the majority of addicts didn't start by snorting cocaine in the bathroom in 7h grade.

[/quote]

I completely agree! 95% of the people that i know who 'started off with pot', ended up going to shrooms, acid, coke, heroin, meth...

Its really sad. A person close to me actually got very tangled up in drugs. They have seen and witnessed some of the worst things because they had to go to the 'ghetto' to get their drugs. It's a horrible situation and due to the fact that i was close to somebody who got involved in it, i can say that its HORRIBLE. and I will NEVER ever stay friends with somebody who gets involved in it and i would never date ANYBODY who does pot. Because thats always the start. I just feel im protecting myself by staying away from people who do it.

My sense is that the gateway is not this substance or that, but the practice of controlling problems with self-medication, instead of finding healthy ways of dealing with them. The more problems you have to cope with, the worse this method of avoiding them is. You can self-medicate with sports or academic success all through high school, though, but when that’s gone, you’re primed to go downhill into drugs or some other illusion of self-determination. And yes, the same thing is predictable when “X” doesn’t give the old kick. You’re primed for “Y”, and then for “Z”. (The difference, of course, is that academic and sports success might see you into adulthood with a resume to show for your futile attempts at self-care, instead of a juvenile record. It is unquestionably better to be screwed up with skills than screwed up with a record, but the suffering will catch up with you eventually. Success won’t heal the kind of pain that I’m talking about.)

Alcohol can be used in a mature manner–alcoholism is virtually unknown among Orthodox Jews–and probably some drugs can be, too, but the minute you start saying, “Oh, what an awful day, I need some beer” or “I can’t think of anything to do, I think I’ll get stoned”, then that’s the red flag. If you have no idea what to do or who to turn to when life gets hard or boring, you’re in some real danger. I suspect, though, that if experience has taught you that life is just horribly hard and there is no one to turn to, then you’re way past the gateway, in terms of risk. I think most people would be like a grenade with the pin pulled, under those conditions.

Literally self-medicating in youth, before your brain is fully formed…that is very very dangerous, in terms of developing a brain primed for habitual abuse. I agree with you on that. I think by now, this is getting to the point of being a tenet of basic psychobiology.

What do you think, though? Do you think it is as important for parents to help their kids cope with life’s hard times appropriately (by turning to human connections and other behaviors that actually help, instead of alcohol) as it is for them to put their efforts primarily into barring them from ever trying drugs or alcohol? In the drug and alcohol addicts that you know, what would have made the bigger difference, do you think?

This reminds me of a PETA pamphlet I saw once saying that Jesus was a vegetarian. He most certainly was not, and to say that He was destroys whatever other credibility the argument may or may not have had. I wouldn't know, because the statement prevented me from picking the silly thing up at all.

I think there are plenty of good arguments on either side of legalizing cannabis, but to throw the name of Our Lord around where He wasn't involved is asinine and offensive. Here's where we can make an argument in reference to our faith:
[LIST]
*]We are bound to obey just laws. Using cannabis is illegal where I live, so I am bound by our Faith not to use it.
*]We are called to avoid the near occasions of sin. For me, even legal substance use (i.e., alcohol) is the best example of a near occasion. That's why I choose not to drink, and I wouldn't use pot if it were legal.
*]Even though drinking wine in moderation isn't sinful, drunkenness is called undesirable in the epistles. We can extrapolate from that admonition that intoxication with other substances is undesirable too.
[/LIST]

This certainly isn't the last word on the subject, but that's where I'm coming from.

Cheers,
-MM-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.