Jesus and divorcing the church

I have been researching lately the Catholic Church and I stumbled upon something and wanted to see what you thought. In Ephesians 6:31-32 it states ““For this reason a man will leaves his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” This is a profound mystery-but I am talking about Christ and the church.”" So, this is found in scripture which Protestants say is all we need to follow God obiediently. So it seems clear that Jesus and the church were united together in a relationship so strong it was referred to as a marriage.

In Mark, Jesus is talking about divorce and says something almost similar to the last scripute I posted, “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” (Mark 10:7-9) Jesus, plainly states that he does not approve of divorce. So it doesn’t make much sense for me to think that Jesus would leave the church and join another church or to join thousands of denominations. To imagine that would be calling Jesus an adulterer.

I guess a lot of Protestants would say that the church messed up a while back but if it is a marriage wouldn’t Jesus stick it out and work through any troubles that are going on. I don’t think he would leave his church and move on to a Protestant denomination. I dunno, I know I am rambling and this may not make sense. But I am curious. I am a Protestant and have been looking into the Catholic faith lately and am starting to get a little scared/excited about a lot of stuff that I think the Church is correct one. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about all this because I have been thinking about it a lot lately.

You are, of course, correct - Jesus is a faithful bridegroom. And his bride (the Church - Eph 5:22-33) is also faithful.

You might not know it yet, but you are now a Catholic. You have started down a path from which you cannot (in good conscience) return. Welcome. I walked that same path 20 years ago (and I assure you it was well-worn).

To be honest I’ve never once heard that line of reasoning OP. It is a very good line of thought in fact i wish I would’ve thought of it to help me witness for the Church. It is very simple yet, in a sense, profound. The Holy Spirit revealed this to you for a reason. Run with it a continue on your path, it will lead you home.

I have noticed this personally and collectively of converts. They often find some string of truth that works to ravel things together for them. That it begins with one string, such as the OP’s, is always wonderful to see, and reminds me of my own walk to the Church.

Pax,
Tim

Hi Patrick :slight_smile:

I would love for you to become Catholic and share Our Holy Faith, welcome!

…although in my good conscience, i should share something with you, in the Parable of the Ten Virgins, 5 are considered worthy, 5 are not. Like King David was allowed 5 wives, so too Lord Jesus. But no-one except God knows who He will marry. as the Head of the Christian Household, I feel assured Our Mother Church will be one of those Virgins.

I feel, Calvin was bitter, and so he forgot that The Holy Spirit judges Tradition in the Church, it is the way He expresses Himself in The Church. There is not two but Three persons of God, and The Holy Spirit is present in all Catholics from Confirmation, meaning we are living in the Church as He wishes. He is the Spirit of Faith expressed by the Faithful.

peace and God Bless you on your Journey

Dava

Absolutley false. As of the NT Only one spouse and no divorce are the rule. It is abundantly clear from Scripture that Jesus and His Church, not churches, are bridegroom and bride. Do not add to Scripture what is not there especially to a person who is just starting on their journey home.

Peace

Agreed. They aren’t all the wives of the bride groom anyway. They are maidens that bring oil to light the way when their way when the bridegroom comes for his bride as part of the Jewish custom. Bride singular. Be careful in allegorical analogies that you temper your allegory with the magisterium.

Excellent insight, by the way, Patrick. As a former protestant myself, I can truly appreciate what it’s like to have the rug pulled out from under you, as it seems you are stumbling on long-hidden secrets, only to have a Catholic stare at you and go “well yeah.”

Like another has said, I never really saw such a connection but it is an interesting link.

Most Protestants I know would simply say that the “Church” is not something visible but rather is made up of the “True Body of Believers” (read truly saved) scattered among many differing denominations. Thus they could say, in response to your assertion, that Christ has not abandoned His Church nor is He unfaithful to her, for He is faithful to all who are truly His…

It is obvious that the Spirit is guiding you to see the fallicy in this “invisible church” idea. Those who truly belong to Christ also desire visible unity with Him and with each other. This is what was desired and worked for from the beginning. This is what the Holy Spirit, and men of great faith have strove to preserve for two millenia now.

Yes, Christ is faithful to His bride the Church, even in times of trouble.

May God continue to guide you home.

Peace
James

P.S. Can you get EWTN on your TV? There is a great program on Monday nights where converts tell their conversion stories. It’s called “The Journey Home”. If you don’t get it on TV, you can stream it from the EWTN website or listen to archived programs HERE

James

Thanks be to God, you have been given some understanding of His Church. The Catholic Church has been saying this always but some people just refuse to accept and they play the Sacred Scriptures against the Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.