Jesus and Mary

I get that Mary is the Mother of God and that Jesus has a unique relationship with her. What I don’t get is that some Catholics are misunderstood for just going to Jesus, period.

I am not sure I understand your post. In my experience Catholics are mostly criticized and misunderstood regarding our practice of praying to saints, or Mary to pray for us and not going to God or Jesus alone.

Do you mean you know some Catholics who are criticized for praying to just Jesus alone? It’s not a requirement to pray the rosary or pray to saints if you are Catholic.

If I’m wrong in what you mean, let me know.

God Bless,

Mary.

Pray for them. Pray the Rosary. And pray and seek to grow in your Catholic faith.

Keep going to God and your loving Mother in Heaven . :slight_smile:

The thing of it is, we Catholics are not “lone rangers” for God. Let me explain. :slight_smile:

Jesus didn’t come just to establish one-on-one relationships with each of us. We certainly have that, and it’s wonderful, of course. But, it’s not enough.

It isn’t that we must go to Mary, but rather that we must recognize that we aren’t in this all on our own. Jesus established his Church–that’s the people of God–fellow human beings.

Sure, it’s great to have our own relationship with Jesus, but he didn’t establish anything like that. He established a community–a family of believers–brothers and sisters and a hierarchy of authority, so it’s not just about God and me.

Jesus once asked, “Who are my brothers, my sister, my mother?” He answered his own question by declaring, “All those who do the will of my Father.” We Catholics believe in and hold to the Communion of Saints–those who are in heaven, those who are still fighting the good fight on earth, and those in purgatory. The ones in heaven are our special family members because they see the face of God and intercede for us. They are our family who are willing and eager to help us. It seems to me it is short-sighted to deprive ourselves of their aid while we are still on earth struggling with sin and the vagaries of the world.

Mary holds a special place in God’s heart, not only because she gave birth to Jesus, but because in her obedience she erased Eve’s “no” with her “yes” and became the “Mother of All the Faithful,” the Second Eve–our mother in the order of God’s grace, the titular head of the human race in Eve’s place. I think she deserves an Ave or two for that, don’t you? :wink:

It is very good for me to remember the Lord’s Blessed Mother, as she is His Masterpiece, and He gave us to her at the foot of the Cross.

I do not understand why Catholics would want to ignore the Mother of the Lord.

Della. Great explanation!

The thing of it is, we Catholics are not “lone rangers” for God. Let me explain.

Jesus didn’t come just to establish one-on-one relationships with each of us. We certainly have that, and it’s wonderful, of course. But, it’s not enough.

It isn’t that we must go to Mary, but rather that we must recognize that we aren’t in this all on our own. Jesus established his Church–that’s the people of God–fellow human beings.

Sure, it’s great to have our own relationship with Jesus, but he didn’t establish anything like that. He established a community–a family of believers–brothers and sisters and a hierarchy of authority, so it’s not just about God and me.

Jesus once asked, “Who are my brothers, my sister, my mother?” He answered his own question by declaring, “All those who do the will of my Father.” We Catholics believe in and hold to the Communion of Saints–those who are in heaven, those who are still fighting the good fight on earth, and those in purgatory. The ones in heaven are our special family members because they see the face of God and intercede for us. They are our family who are willing and eager to help us. It seems to me it is short-sighted to deprive ourselves of their aid while we are still on earth struggling with sin and the vagaries of the world.

Mary holds a special place in God’s heart, not only because she gave birth to Jesus, but because in her obedience she erased Eve’s “no” with her “yes” and became the “Mother of All the Faithful,” the Second Eve–our mother in the order of God’s grace, the titular head of the human race in Eve’s place. I think she deserves an Ave or two for that, don’t you?

I hope you don’t mind but I am going to tuck this away in my files for future use.

Keep up the great work.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Thank you. :tiphat: Of course, you may, if you think it might be helpful. Although I wouldn’t use the word “titular.” It doesn’t mean what I thought it meant. :blush: She has power in heaven and on earth under her Son’s reign.

:shrug:

I don’t understand why Catholics would not want to go to her Son, period.

You didn’t understand my post.

I was talking about Catholics who criticize other Catholics who pray to Jesus and aren’t that big on Marian devotion.

In the majority, it tends to be the other way around.

Still, I know what you mean - the reasons are a few:

• because of faith and fidelity to belief in the Catholic Church and the deposit of faith.

• because of hope: if we want people to come to know God for their and His sake, then we also want of them to come to know His Holy Mother, for His and their sake.

• because of love: those who have a strong love for, and devotion to Mary, are incensed on varying levels, that others do not. And I think God put that feeling there. Because if we truly care what God wants, then we want Mary to be loved, as Jesus does.

That’s what I thought you meant. My friend is a convert from a confessional Lutheran Synod and she never prayed to Mary or the saints. She had in her case been taught for years it was idolatry and she had come to embrace Catholic doctrine but doing so made her uncomfortable.

It bothered her so much she spoke to a priest who assured her it was not “a requirement” nor necessary and did not make her any “less Catholic.” If it enhances your Faith fine if not praying straight to Jesus is just fine as well.

She told a few people about this and had actually gotten mini lectures on how she is shortchanging herself and I too have met Catholics who seem to think if you do NOT pray the rosary often or to the saints it’s a big deal.

They are simply misguided.

Mary.

For me, I better fulfill devotion to Mary when I do as her Son says.

:slight_smile: I had updated my post after you posted - it incorporates what you just said.

I have not been posting here specifically to avoid James and I arguing again, however, since I am now misguided I am compelled to act to defend my Mother. Here is the reason behind this thread.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=1053035

I am not sure I understand your post completely but I certainly did not intend to be offensive. I pray the rosary daily and invoke saints as well.

I was just trying to state that for those that don’t pray the rosary or invoke saints such as my convert friend that’s ok too. You can still be a Catholic in good standing as many told her she was not as such.

I was not saying you were misguided.

Sorry for the confusion in my post.

Mary, Mother of God pray for us,
all ye angels and saint, pray for us,
God be merciful to your people…
(Litany of Saints/David Haas)

Mary

You’d be better doing what her Son says.

Does not Jesus say “Woman behold your son” and “Son behold your mother”? Is that not Jesus giving us His mother, telling her to be our mother, and telling us to go to her, to look at her as our mother? Then I am doing what Jesus said.

Meanwhile, read 1 Timothy 2:1-8, no it is not from the lips of Jesus but it is in the Bible. St Paul commands Christians to intercede for one another. This doesn’t go around Christ’s mediation, but rather through it. As I am suggesting you go through Mary to Jesus. Because Jesus is the one mediator between earth and heaven, we as members of Christ’s body are able to cooperate with Him as mediators. We single out Mary’s intercession and show her such devotion because she is God’s most righteous Saint, “the prayer of a righteous man has great power in its effects” (James 5:16).

Isn’t the whole point of Christianity that we have a Friend at the right hand of God? Did He not say these words in today’s Gospel:
John 16
Truly, truly, I tell you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. Until now you have not asked for anything in My name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.

I do as Jesus said.

Well brother, I think we are going to have to agree that we both have the same destination, simply different ways of getting there. I totally respect your faith and devotion and love of our Lord, and whether you go straight to Christ or I go through Mary, I’m sure we will get to debate these points into eternity together, and that’s really what matters, that we attain the final goal, God.

Frankly, it is a warped and distorted subset of Catholics who do such a thing.

You should ignore them – as they are deserving only of being ignored.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.