Jesus and original sin

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
Is he not saying they are sinless and where does he speak about original sin.

He is saying neither of those things.

He is not saying they are sinless, and he is not talking about original sin.

You will not find any arguments for or against original sin in this passage.

He’s saying that they’re still innocent, as we must be in relation to the Father. Only as we grow in maturity and the ability to reason do we become truly accountable for sin. And as we grow that way, we, ironically, perhaps, inevitably sin in some manner or another.

Jesus does not speak of original sin and he even said no one is born with their ancestors sins - such as the blind man.

That has nothing to do with original sin either, for or against. Jesus is specifically denying the man’s blindness as punishment. It is not a statement on original sin one way or another.

Psalm 50

7 For behold I was conceived in iniquities; and in sins did my mother conceive me.

John 1

29 The next day, John saw Jesus coming to him; and he saith: Behold the Lamb of God. Behold him who taketh away the sin of the world.

John 3

5 Jesus answered: Amen, amen, I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

I did not withdraw my post, I had difficulty posting it and frankly I don’t know why this was the result.

1 Like

Rom 5:13-14 “for up to the time of the law, sin was in the world, though sin is not accounted when there is no law. But death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who did not sin after the pattern of the trespass of Adam, who is the type of the one who was to come.”

1 Cor 15:21 “For since death came through a human being, the resurrection of the dead came also through a human being.”

Something to consider: why did death reign from Adam to Moses? Why did people die who had not yet reached the age of reason and were therefore incapable of sin and why do they still die today? This was my post

The Scripture verse can be seen to support Our Lord’s desire for infant Baptism.
CCC 1261

1 Like

Origianal sin came from Adam and Eve. So with that we have a choice to make and must be taught.

Little children must be taught about this.

Jesus is our savior along with Mary the new eve.
Simple as that

See also Matthew 18:3:

“Amen I say to you, unless you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven”

When we become like children we are humble, and have a childlike faith, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.