Jesus as the last prophet?

I’m a convert, so maybe I picked this idea up from a non-Catholic source, but it seems to me that Christians (I’m assuming including Catholics?) refer to Jesus as the last prophet and say that no prophets came after him.

Yet, in Matthew 23:34, Jesus himself says

" … Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city … "

How can Jesus send prophets to them if he is the last prophet? Or is that not a Catholic belief to begin with?

Public revelation ended with Christ and His Apostles. Most of the Apostles were martyred themselves after Christ.

The Catholic Church does not use the term “last prophet.” Muslims say that Mohammed was the last prophet. Mormons say that Joseph Smith was.

.You are correct QuasiCatholic…

When we are baptized into Christs life we share in His glory and become Priests, Prophets and Kings…

Romans 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

1 Peter 2:19 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Fr. Barron discusses this in his new video…

priestprophetking.wordonfire.org/

Acts 11:28 explicitly calls Agabus a prophet, and yes, in THAT sense.

So clearly, Jesus isn’t the last.

We more often hear the word “seer” now, but I believe that any of the saints who received messages from heaven count as prophets, such as St. Faustina and the children of Fatima.

As Paul said in I Thessalonians 5:19, “Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophetic utterances. Test everything; retain what is good.”

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.