Jesus Before Born though Mary

Did Jesus exist before Mary gave birth to him?

Before Jesus was born was God only in the form of The Father and the Holy Spirit?

Thanks for any help!

His arrival was certainly anticipated :slight_smile:

I would say that the incarnated second person of the Trinity - Jesus did not exist until he was concieved of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was made man.

Obviously, the second person of the Trinity being infinite was always there. But He was called out of eternity to become man.

JD

From John’s Gospel we know that *"In the Beginning was the Word, and the *Word was with God and the Word was God"

Jesus is the Word made Flesh, Incarnate…

Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega…

Jesus the man, did not exist befoer being born…Jesus the Word who was, and who was with God and who is God existed from before time…

How can this be? Well it is a mystery, that we can see, accept and attempt to understad and to describe. However, as our language is limited and our understanding constrained…at some point we just hve to have faith and accept…

YES!

All Catholics must believe this. Read the Gospel of John - the beginning - Jesus, who is the Word of God, existed since the beginning. He is true man and true God, so before becoming man, Jesus Christ was still true God!

Yes and no. From all eternity, of course, as God, Jesus knew His destiny to become man, specifically to become the son of Mary, and all that entailed.

Being God He is/was outside of time, all events are eternally present to Him.

So in that sense (the sense of being in the awareness of God who only has to speak or think to make things come into being) His humanity is kinda-sorta an eternal thing too.

Before Jesus was born (actually before he was conceived at the annunciation) he existed.

There have always been and always will be three persons in the one God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Check out John 1:1-14 (Dhouay-Rheims bible).
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 This man came for a witness, to give testimony of the light, that all men might believe through him. 8 He was not the light, but was to give testimony of the light. 9 That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.
11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name. 13 Who are born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. 15 John beareth witness of him, and crieth out, saying: This was he of whom I spoke: He that shall come after me, is preferred before me: because he was before me.

In the Nicene Creed we say “We believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father.” That seems pretty clear: God Incarnate has existed eternally.

John 8: 58, " Amen, Amen I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

The answer is yes. Jesus as second person of the Most Holy Trinity always exists. His divine nature certainly existed, though yes, you can question whether His human nature existed.

(Of course, if we view time as something that limits only man, then you could say that too existed! :eek: )

Yes, as the eternally begotton Son of the Father - second Person of the Trinity.

When He was born of Mary (or more precisely, when He was conceived in Her womb by the power of the Holy Spirit), He “took on flesh”, became a flesh and blood human being for us. He is still a Divine person, but now with two natures: a human nature and a divine nature joined together. This is the “hypostatic union” to use theological jargon :slight_smile:

That being said, Our Lord’s human nature is really a human nature - therefore it was created. His human nature didn’t always exist - it was created by Him at a given point in time and will now exist forever. His Divine nature, on the other hand, really is the Divine nature - therefore it wasn’t created. His Divine nature always existed and will always exist forever.

No - Father, Son and Holy Spirit existed eternally. Three Divine persons in One God.

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad

Jesus is the Word made flesh. The Word existed from all time, as the Word is the Second Person of the Trinity.

Jesus is God Incarnate. God is out of time, but God Incarnate was most definitely in time.

The Word existed from all time and before all time, but Jesus did not.

No, Jesus did not know his destiny to become man; the Second Person of the Trinity knew. Jesus is the result of the incarnation. Jesus did not exist until the Incanation; but the Second Person existed before all time and from all time.

No, Jesus did not exist before the Annunciation. The Second Person of the Trinity existed before the Annunciation. Jesus is the Second Person of the Trinity made flesh.

The Son of God was eteranlly begotten of the Father; that is, the Second Person fo the Trinity existed from all time and before all time.

Jesus was the Second Person of the Trinity made flesh, and Jesus did not exist before the Incarnation; only the Second Person of the Trinity did.

However, this is non-responsive to the question. In this passage, Jesus speaks of His Divine Nature, and He identifies Himself with God. As God, He existed from and before all time. As Jesus, He existed from the Incarnation. This was what the Pharisees could not accept; they knew of His birth but could not or would not accept His Divine Nature.

John 1:1-3, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.”

In John 8:58 Jesus says, “before Abraham was, I Am.”

Isaiah 7:14, 9:16

John 1:1,18; 20:28

Rom. 9:5

Titus 2:13

Heb. 1:8

2 Pet. 1:1

Those scriptures proves Jesus is God.

Pax
Laudater Jesus Christus
Instaurare omnia in Christo

and see John 17…

I’m still kind of confused. The Word only refers to one person of the trinity? or does the word come from just God?

In the Beginning was the Word

and the Word was with God …

and the Word* was* God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.