Jesus blood type--Revisited

Thank you Fr Serpa for the clarification. I hope you don’t mind but I have another question at the end, and a quote from one of Bishop Fulton Sheen’s talks I think you’ll like…

Dear Steve,

This is certainly not my field and I should have been more precise. But from what I have learned from those who know, a baby receives all of its genetic inheritance from the gene pool of both of its parents which includes their ancestors. With Jesus, of course, His genetic inheritance came solely through His mother. It came through her, but included the whole gene pool she had inherited so that He could inherit characteristics from her ancestors that passed her generation by… [snip]

Now, it’s possible that Jesus did have the same blood type that His mother had. We don’t know. But it is also possible that He didn’t. The mother’s blood supply does not flow into the child’s body. The child’s blood system is completely separate from its mother’s.

This isn’t my area of expertese either. But as I understand it, and I could be wrong,

Question:

if we were to use today’s forensic DNA technology, and we only had samples of Mary’s blood and Jesus blood, we should be able to tell that Jesus is the biological son of Mary using their blood samples alone, correct? Jesus blood and Mary’s blood, wouldn’t be different to the point as to confuse or deny Mary’s sole maternity of Jesus, correct?

Fulton Sheen remarked in a talk, that Mary could say while standing at the foot of the cross looking up at her son. “This is my body, this is my blood” Because she was the only human involved in the incarnation of Jesus.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. I appreciate your efforts.

Blessings

Dear Steve,

As with members of any biological family unit, the blood strain of Jesus and Mary would be of the same family. There would be no doubt that they are related to each other in this truly unique way.

Mother Teresa also said that Mary alone could look at Jesus and say, “This is my body.”
Certainly, Jesus’ Body is His own and Mary’s body is her own. What Bishop Sheen and Mother Teresa really meant by such a statement is that Jesus is OF Mary’s body alone. More accurately, only Mary can say: “This is OF my body.” No one can say this except Mary who is truly the mother of God.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.