Jesus' brothers in John 7:3-8

Someone has used this as a proof text that Christ had blood brothers, they were non-believers, and this is why Christ gave Mary to John at the time of his death.

I realize that “brothers” could mean cousins or other next of kin. Would that be the best reply?

Thanks. Rhonda in GA

[quote=Rhonda in GA]Someone has used this as a proof text that Christ had blood brothers, they were non-believers, and this is why Christ gave Mary to John at the time of his death.

I realize that “brothers” could mean cousins or other next of kin. Would that be the best reply?

Thanks. Rhonda in GA
[/quote]

Ask them if whenever they hear black people address themselves as “brother” nowadays it must mean the people are literally siblings. They’re making observations on a culture they know nothing about.

[quote=exoflare]Ask them if whenever they hear black people address themselves as “brother” nowadays it must mean the people are literally siblings. They’re making observations on a culture they know nothing about.
[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken, St. Paul calls fellow Christians brethren too.

Someone has used this as a proof text that Christ had blood brothers, they were non-believers.

I guess this could be possible if He had siblings, but it is very improbable.

This question comes up almost everyday. St. Jerome answered it pretty soundly in 303 A.D. St. Jerome is the guy who translated the Vulgate from the original manuscripts.

Here is the link:

cin.org/users/james/files/helvidiu.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.