Jesus calls people not very nice things..

In certain parts of the Bible Jesus says things that most “nice” people today, with their adherence to political correctness… toward anyone/everyone (except Catholics and other Christians) :rolleyes: wouldn’t dare say to anyone…

He calls people such things as vipers, hypocrites, and in today’s readings… which i cannot post due to having a disk the computer doesn’t recognize :rolleyes:… Jesus seems to be referring to certain people as “dogs” and “swine”.

He may have been referring to people who do awful things… murderers of adults, abortionists…

so… can people lose their consciences and turn into swine?

dogs??

In Matthew 7:6 Jesus calls unbelievers dogs and swine, and in Matthew 15:26 Jesus likens both the Canaanite woman and Gentiles to dogs.

Jesus was using common Jewish metaphors to illustrate an unbeliever’s or pagan’s total depravity.
Read Proverbs 26:1; 2 Peter 2:22; & Rev. 22:14

The crowds would have understood that Jesus was obviously using metaphorical language, and was not literally calling someone a dog or swine.

In regards to Jesus’ statement in Matthew 15:26, Christ was trying to illustrate a key point to his disciples.

According to first century Jewish thought both Gentiles and women were held in low esteem.

Jews regarded themselves as the children of God, whereas Gentiles were nothing more than house pets.

The Greek word used in this verse for dogs is kynarion, which properly translated means house pet or puppy [verification: Strong’s #2952].

Jesus’ use of this term implies that just as a house pet has a place in the home of his master, so too do the Gentiles have a place prepared for them in God’s kingdom.

Christ was trying to move his Jewish disciples, who had tried earlier to get rid of the Canaanite woman, to envy by the woman’s persistence and display of great faith; a faith exemplified by someone who to them was nothing more than a house pet.

In similar fashion, Jesus had used a Roman Centurion’s faith in contrast to the Israelites’ lack of faith:

"Now when Jesus heard this, he marveled, and said to those who were following, `Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel. And I say to you, that many shall come from East and West, and recline at the table with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven; but the sons of the Kingdom shall be cast out into the outer darkness; in that place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ " Matthew 8:5-12

The Jews considered Romans as enemies which God would destroy when Messiah would appear.

And yet here was Israel’s Messiah commending the faith of such a one.

Hence, Jesus was using Gentiles as examples for Israel to emulate, not look down upon.

yea I think so

Philippians 3:2 Beware of dogs…"
Revelation 22:15 For without are **dogs **(outside of heavenly Jerusalem)
Psalms 22:16 For **dogs **have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.
Isaiah 56:10 His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs
Isaiah 56:11 Yea, they are greedy **dogs **which can never have enough

lots of dogs spoken of in Bible

I seem to recall him referring to a certain group of pharisees as a “brood of vipers,” i.e. “a bunch of snakes.”

And yet call a protestant heretic ONE time and the moderator sends you a message to edit your post :blush::shrug:

(note: I am just joking, I apologized to the moderator as I did get more frustrated than I should have)

i agreed w/ you until this… well, i do realize that no one actually turns into an actual animal just because he sells his soul to the devil through sin… he’s still human and can repent… which animals can’t do… but i do believe that Jesus was putting people on the level of animals (who do not inherit Heaven)… Even if one cannot believe this to be the case, you have to admit that it gets people’s attention to be called such lowly names… and Jesus was good at getting people’s attention… and you also have to admit that it would be a good idea for them to PAY attention. So… uh… whatever works… (i say)…

According to first century Jewish thought both Gentiles and women were held in low esteem.

Jesus did not… and that’s what i’m speaking of…

Jews regarded themselves as the children of God, whereas Gentiles were nothing more than house pets.

Jesus couldn’t have cared less what the corrupt Jews (or even non-corrupt Jews) thought… He cared what the Father thought… He didn’t use those terms because corrupt sinful humans did…

Jesus’ use of this term implies that just as a house pet has a place in the home of his master, so too do the Gentiles have a place prepared for them in God’s kingdom.

I’m not buying this. For one thing, pets don’t go to Heaven… (I know they don’t because God knows i despise house pets… :D)

when you come to Christ you become a child of God… not some “pet”…

Christ was trying to move his Jewish disciples, who had tried earlier to get rid of the Canaanite woman, to envy by the woman’s persistence and display of great faith; a faith exemplified by someone who to them was nothing more than a house pet.

i agree w/ this…

wow… i really like you… 'cause you agree w/ me… :smiley:

I’ve even noticed in myself - a person who loves Jesus and tries hard to not sin… that when i do sin… i lose grace… as all humans do… and without grace… well, you can sometimes feel like a nobody at best… or maybe even an animal… (if you persist in sin and don’t confess, etc…) so anyway, i feel that if a person persists in mortal sin, he becomse not much more than an animal…in a very real sense. This is why Jesus had to die for us… This is how serious sin is… what it does to our souls… One look at a crucifix shows the horror of sin… One who has said no to his consicence over & over until he becomes a virtual “animal” can repent but it is very unlikely… and Jesus tells us this (st Mt 12:32…) Jesus warned against the unforgivable sin… which is final unrepentance… refusing to give ours sins to God through Christ… & forsake them forever… It is very hard to repent when you no longer have the grace (which comes from not sinning, etc…) that is requisite… to even realize that … remember that… you are far, far from God (who is perfectly holy)

He’s also called people liars and dogs and swine…

(which makes me laugh…

despite the fact that its not funny when people sin so much they become likened to animals… :()

its just funny how Jesus calls a spade a spade…

and why wouldn’t he?? He is Truth Incarnate… :highprayer:

well, i personally believe it is ALWAYS charitable to tell the truth… (nice to have it wrapped in a sugar cone… but sometimes such wrapping detracts…don’t you think???)

In any case, it’s not like the person hearing himself being called Heretic… is going to automatically accept your assessment anyway… human pride being as it is… :hypno:

so where’s the damage???

if people can’t handle the truth… well, they shouldnt be at a Catholic site…

Today, the speech police would be all over him.

and he would be “crucified” all over again… by being called:

Judgmental

hateful

narrow-minded

nut case

fanatic

holier-than-thou (which of course, He is… :D)

ah, Truth… it comes in not very pretty packages sometimes… :shrug:

Christ did not die for dogs. He died for human persons, who were sinners but still created in the Image of the Eternal God.
Jesus used these words as metaphors, pictures if you will. Like when He spoke His parrables. Like… God in the OT calls Ismael a donkey. It does not mean he becomes an actual donkey but the word symbolises the stubborness and harshness that will manifest in his descendants…
Jesus likens a heathen woman to a dog that eats the crumbs at the table of the children (Israel) but this is an image only… also the woman is not angered… His words were never hateful nor did He use violence. He was testing her faith to bring her even more glory in heaven as she followed Him persistenly… and He then healed her child.
Swine… to cast pearls infront of swine… is a saying to describe casting something valuable infront of someone who is not willing to listen and who does not realise the value at all. I have sometimes preached to drunk people. Then these words from Scripture came to me…
Jesus never questions the ultimate worth of people…
Snakes and vipers, He calls those only, who can bear it, and He speaks about their obstinate pride… they are not broken under the weight but they have knowlege and pride… their soul is full of venom and traps. Its this ill intent in them that Jesus justly addresses.
Its written He could read the hearts of all people. thats very important.
We as gentile believers are called “wild branches”. We are not offended… on the contrary. Jesus speaks figuratively. His action speaks volumes: His death on the cross for all these people He admonised with firm love.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Compared to Christ’s divine Perfection, those people were “dogs” and “swine.” - lol. Personally, I wouldn’t call anyone those kinds of things, because I’m far from perfect myself.

Have people never heard of **metaphor **?

FWIWW, not everything Jesus did can be imitated - so we can’t assume without further question that we can use the sort of language for others that he did.

thanks for enlightening me… I’ve been Catholic all my life and never knew that… :rolleyes:

Jesus used these words as metaphors, pictures if you will.

maybe… maybe not… Who says?? Are you interpreting the words your way or the right way? and it seems you assume that i definitely am NOT interpreting them correctly…

Like when He spoke His parrables. Like… God in the OT calls Ismael a donkey. It does not mean he becomes an actual donkey but the word symbolises the stubborness and harshness that will manifest in his descendants…

i’d rather be called a donkey than swine…

maybe i am taking your post a little too defensively… it SEEMs you are being argumentative… but God knows…

in any case, i never believed that when Jesus called people swine (or whatever) that he no longer viewed them as having worth in the eyes of the Father…

but i DO believe that people, through sin (not born that way) can become virtual animals 9(swine) in the sense that they have more/less lost their innocence, their connectedness w/ God. It is our connectedness to God that makes us higher than the animals. Say, for example, that you gave up your faith and just did whatever your body told you to do: gluttony, sexual sins, abortion… and at first you felt guilty but then you just said to heck with it, i don’t care or whatever… and you just decided not to listen to your conscience anymore… After awhile, you would not be the same person you once were when you attempted to follow Christ… your soul would be ugly because of sin and its awful effects.

This is what Jesus means by calling people swine… (my opinion).

When a person is so sold out to sin that he can’t even hear the beautiful words of God (“pearls”)… well, that person is NOT what God wants him to be…

he still has hope if he repents… but there comes a point where he is so mired in sin and obstanancy that the chance of him even having the thoght of repentance is remote… not impossible but very remote. Jesus warned about this in St Mt 12;32… blashphemy of the Holy Spirit…

very good points… :slight_smile:

again, i feel that people who, day in and day out, choose sin… and say NO to God (thier conscience)… become “animals”…

Heck, i feel i am an “animal” myself sometimes and i try hardto stay close to Jesus…

sin has caused us to fall a lot farther than most probably realize… whehter original or actual… but especially actual…

seems people do not see (nowadays) how damaging sin is…

Well, I guess the problem with all this is that we aren’t He. Christ can say anything He wants to; His justice is always right on target.

The rest of us?

Not so much. We should be far more careful. WE, after all, could be wrong.

“Go and tell that fox…”. That’s my favorite. Was it already mentioned and I missed it?

Why, thank you. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.