"Jesus Camp". Have you seen it?

I just saw it, and I have to say it was one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen. Words (or at least words appropriate for polite discussion) completely fail me. I understand that the church documented in the film represents a (presumably) rare extreme, but I can’t believe that this is how some children are introduced to God. It’s honestly a tragedy. :frowning:

I’m praying hard for the children in the film.

I haven't seen the whole film but I have seen snippets on youtube. It really is a shame how some pentacostal churches deal with their faith and how they teach their children.

I’ve seen it. I went to a Protestant camp when I was a child but it was nothing like that!!! While the adults running the camp were distressing to me, I detected a strong anti-religious flavor from the films makers. I think they set out to make Christians look crazy and dangerous and hit the jackpot with these folks. I think somewhere the narrator laments that one day these children will be voters. They will probably vote pro-life, so I can’t seem to generate the fear that the producers were trying to instill. Nonetheless, this type of experience isn’t something I’d want for my children.

[quote="Sharen, post:3, topic:260530"]
I've seen it. I went to a Protestant camp when I was a child but it was nothing like that!!!! While the adults running the camp were distressing to me, I detected a strong anti-religious flavor from the films makers. I think they set out to make Christians look crazy and dangerous and hit the jackpot with these folks. I think somewhere the narrator laments that one day these children will be voters. They will probably vote pro-life, so I can't seem to generate the fear that the producers were trying to instill. Nonetheless, this type of experience isn't something I'd want for my children.

[/quote]

Yes, the makers of the film most likely set out to portray evangelicals as a bunch of loonies, so they found this crazy camp and made a documentary about it.

[quote="anp1215, post:4, topic:260530"]
Yes, the makers of the film most likely set out to portray evangelicals as a bunch of loonies, so they found this crazy camp and made a documentary about it.

[/quote]

I agree. :thumbsup:

[quote="Sharen, post:3, topic:260530"]
I've seen it. I went to a Protestant camp when I was a child but it was nothing like that!!!! While the adults running the camp were distressing to me, I detected a strong anti-religious flavor from the films makers. I think they set out to make Christians look crazy and dangerous and hit the jackpot with these folks. I think somewhere the narrator laments that one day these children will be voters. They will probably vote pro-life, so I can't seem to generate the fear that the producers were trying to instill. Nonetheless, this type of experience isn't something I'd want for my children.

[/quote]

I agree. The makers of the film were most likely targetting Christianity and religion in general. I found what went on in the camp quite disheartening of course. But my guess is it's far from typical.

[quote="Raskolnikov, post:6, topic:260530"]
I agree. The makers of the film were most likely targetting Christianity and religion in general. I found what went on in the camp quite disheartening of course. But my guess is it's far from typical.

[/quote]

It is. I went to a Pentecostal church camp for many years, and we definitely did not pray over cardboard cutouts of President Bush. What this camp did is truly unfortunate, because it allowed the filmmakers to paint all Christian camps as crazy indoctrination schools for the religious right. They are to Pentecostals as the Westboro Baptist "Church" is to Baptists.

Guys, being raised in the South I was exposed to friends' churches as a child that had similar styles to that in this documentary.

I also remember the filmmakers interjecting some other Christians' comments into the film, like a DJ's. It seemed to me they were trying to present a "not all Christians are like this" nod. I appreciated that.

It's a documentary and docs tend to go for the fringe element of society. I find them immensely enjoyable, heartbreaking, and informative. I'm also glad to see that on this Catholic board there are folks who are appalled at how this camp is run. It's a simple thing, but I'm heartened as a very, very new Christian to know that one doesn't have to be as, uh, interesting as the people this film represents to be a follower of Christ. The mentality in the film is indicative of the mentality I was exposed to growing up. I really hated Christianity for a long time! Even being away from that mentality for so long, it feels good to hear Christians say, "We don't feel this is right for children."

I have seen it and here's my opinion:

1. I think the film's purpose was to show the extreme sects of Christianity that became more vocal during Bush's presidency.
  2. I don't think the film makers meant for any of it to be Anti-Christian
  3. Not all Pentecostal/Charismatic/Protestant churches are like the "camp." Many of the kids shown seem to have a sincere love for God and part of the belief of many charismatics is that you must speak in tongues, and I think that many of the kids who were or many of them who are interviewed are very sincere in their beliefs (moreso than any of the Catholic students I teach, if I might add) because they are raised to believe in a God who loves them but who also wants you to by holy and good (something that I think is lacking in Catholic churches today). I would never say that it isn't a good thing for a child/pre-teen/teen to be sincere in their faith.
  4. I think the leaders of the camp are a bit nutty on many parts, as are some of the parents.

[quote="AngelRose81, post:9, topic:260530"]
I have seen it and here's my opinion:

1. I think the film's purpose was to show the extreme sects of Christianity that became more vocal during Bush's presidency.
  2. I don't think the film makers meant for any of it to be Anti-Christian
  3. Not all Pentecostal/Charismatic/Protestant churches are like the "camp." Many of the kids shown seem to have a sincere love for God and part of the belief of many charismatics is that you must speak in tongues, and I think that many of the kids who were or many of them who are interviewed are very sincere in their beliefs (moreso than any of the Catholic students I teach, if I might add) because they are raised to believe in a God who loves them but who also wants you to by holy and good (something that I think is lacking in Catholic churches today). I would never say that it isn't a good thing for a child/pre-teen/teen to be sincere in their faith.
  4. I think the leaders of the camp are a bit nutty on many parts, as are some of the parents.

[/quote]

I too felt like the kids were incredibly sincere in their faith and truly loved God with all their hearts. They seemed like great kids who just wanted to live holy lives for the Lord. The nuttiness came from the adults.

I agree. It was hard for me to watch as I grew up around that mentality. It didn’t help my (or my mother’s) anti-Christian feelings. I didn’t see a lot of love coming from the adults in the film.

Anybody noticed the part where this young girl (I think her name was Rachel) made a jab at the quieter churches?

"There are certain churches, they're called 'dead churches,' and the people there, they sit there, like this; [blank stare monotone]'We worship you God, we worship you God'[/blank stare monotone] The churches that God likes to go to, are churches where they're jumping up and down, shouting His name, and just praising Him, they're not acting - they're not quiet 'We worship you,' they're 'Hallelujah God!' And depending on how they invite Him, He'll be there, or not."

Given how the Catholic Church has traditionally been one of the "quieter" churches, I found it particularly troublesome how this group was indoctrinating these kids by saying the Lord's not there (when we know for a fact there we get the closest we are to Him on earth as we receive Him-Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity)...some may see this documentary as an attack on Christianity, but I don't. I just see this as a warning against extremism.

[quote="DeaconsSon87, post:12, topic:260530"]
Anybody noticed the part where this young girl (I think her name was Rachel) made a jab at the quieter churches?

"There are certain churches, they're called 'dead churches,' and the people there, they sit there, like this; [blank stare monotone]'We worship you God, we worship you God'[/blank stare monotone] The churches that God likes to go to, are churches where they're jumping up and down, shouting His name, and just praising Him, they're not acting - they're not quiet 'We worship you,' they're 'Hallelujah God!' And depending on how they invite Him, He'll be there, or not."

Given how the Catholic Church has traditionally been one of the "quieter" churches, I found it particularly troublesome how this group was indoctrinating these kids by saying the Lord's not there (when we know for a fact there we get the closest we are to Him on earth as we receive Him-Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity)...some may see this documentary as an attack on Christianity, but I don't. I just see this as a warning against extremism.

[/quote]

Yes, I definitely noticed that part too.

A classic case of building a "Straw Man", a grotesquely distorted image of the group the author really wants to trash (evangelical christians). Sure weirdos exist that profess faith in Jesus.

But it seems to me I've seen some rather peculiar specimens in the Occupy Wall Street movement. Shall I pick the worst of those and hold them up as representative of the entire secular leftist community in America? Some actually do this, and commit the same crime as the producers of 'Jesus Camp.'

[quote="manualman, post:14, topic:260530"]
A classic case of building a "Straw Man", a grotesquely distorted image of the group the author really wants to trash (evangelical christians). Sure weirdos exist that profess faith in Jesus.

But it seems to me I've seen some rather peculiar specimens in the Occupy Wall Street movement. Shall I pick the worst of those and hold them up as representative of the entire secular leftist community in America? Some actually do this, and commit the same crime as the producers of 'Jesus Camp.'

[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote="manualman, post:14, topic:260530"]

[/quote]

Isn't that the truth. Reminds me of a "classic" Atheist argument I heard the other day: "You Christians believe the Bible, so you believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, obviously you're stupid/crazy."

Nevermind the fact that the majority of Christians don't believe that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.