Jesus Christ and His Mother both pierced with a Sword

(Luke 2: 34-35) Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother: "This child is destined to be the down fall and rise of many in Isreal, a sign that will be opposed and you yourself shall be pirced with asword- so that the thoughts of many hearts may be laid bare."

Simeon had the Holy Spirit upon him when he said the above.

Yes, Virgin Mary suffered for us so that the thoughts of many hearts be laid bare.

Jesus is the sign that has been opposed by those who don’t believe in Our Lord these are the non Christians.

There is also another who has been opposed and that is Virgin Mary, sad to say by so called Christains of the Protestant faith how sad this is the reason why Virgin Mary was also pierced with a sword, for those who oppose Mary, he or she will Jesus Christ oppose in judgment.

Protestants, your thoughts in your hearts for Mary are being LAID BARE! Your hostility towards Virgin Mary shows no respect of he Virginity, her Immaculate Conception, her as being truly our Mother that we can go to and ask for help, your non recognition of her of: all generations shall call me blessed. it shows no respect for the Gospel.

Ufamtobie

Puleese!! You are blatantly just trying to incite a fight here. None of what you said here is truthful or can be substantiated against any one Protestant. Very uncharitable and unChristianlike

SIA,

I know the TRUTH Hurts.

and no way am I balantly trying to incite a fight here.

it is true what I have said protestants blatantly hurt the Virgin Mary are even affraid to say the HAIL MARY PRAYER: for fear that they think they will be worshiping her , this prayer is in the Bible for crying out loud. say this prayer once and I assure you will become a Catholic. If it be the Lord Will. amen

**Hail Mary Full of Grace the Lord is with thee blessed art thou amongst woman and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.

Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death amen**

Ufamtobie

Whatever you think on this subject, look at the change in translation between the NKJV (not a Catholic bible) and the NIV (also not a Catholic bible):

Luke 2:35 (New King James Version) (yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

Luke 2:35 (New International Version) “so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

The NIV places the revelation of the thoughts of many hearts before, and separate from the piercing of Mary’s soul. This might be an accident(?), but makes it appear that scripture is assigning the revelation of thoughts only to Jesus, and not to His mother. It is just this type of insidious change to scripture that fails to serve the truth. Henceforth, I shall begin a much more careful scrutiny of the NIV and other modern bibles.

Christ’s peace.

You are very self centered and also not very knowledgable of other faiths. We say the Hail Mary when we say the Rosary. You should spend some time on learning about other faiths instead of trying to get everybody to bow down to yours.

This is what the greek text says

“And of her the soul will pierce a sword so as may be revealed out of many hearts (the) thoughts”

Don’t waste your time

Don’t waste your time with conspiracy theories. The NIV is a great version of Scripture especially the study version. Look at something like the New World Translations which is the version that Jehovah’s Witnesses use. Now there’s a molested version of what would otherwise be the truth.

Does Satan exist? Does he seek the destruction of souls? Is he patient? Does he have until the end of the age to lure souls away from the truth? Does he work subtly? A lot of questions, but I strongly advise you to ask them. Satan’s greatest deception was to convince man that he doesn’t exist.

First, the NWT is not a bible, it’s a cult publication. It’s similar to a bible, but that is all that can be said of it. Does it aim to lead you away from established truth? Yes.

I am speaking specifically of the NIV and nothing else here. It is altered in sentence order from even the KJV! Seeing this, I cannot rely upon it for an accurate translation, without comparing it with older, known translations. While this may not concern you, it should cause you to wonder about the rest of its content. It concerns me only because scripture has been subtly “massaged”. Subtle is the exact manner in which the serpent, the most cunning of God’s creatures, acts.

The NIV has subtly altered what Simeon the prophet said directly to Mary. Not to Joseph, not to both of them, not to the infant Jesus, but to Mary. Holding scripture as high as Catholics do, I see a caution flag when such anomalies occur. Of course, it’s a non-Catholic bible and its translators had a non-Catholic agenda. No, you say? Why does it have only 66 books then?

Take this for what it’s worth, but I see you accepting this “new” translation as eagerly as JWs accept their “new” translation. Argue the point all that you will, both remain “new” translations. Christ is not “new” His Gospel is not “new”. He makes all things new, but I cannot see His hand in this mis-translation.

Christ’s peace be with you.

This verse is so important to me because as a mother, I can feel how painful this must have been for Our Blessed Mother to hear. (painful doesn’t even come close - maybe devastating). Here she is with her newborn son Our Savior and she’s hearing these words. Only the Crucifiction pierced her Immaculate Heart more.

Thank you ufamtobie for reminding us how Our Ladys life was truly sorrowful as the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ, knowing possibly what His destiny for us would be.

I just have to disagree with you on most counts here, sorry. It’s translators did not have an agenda against Catholics. They were clearly seeking the truth by how they painstakingly translated the NIV. As for having 66 books, Scripture IS 66 books. The apocrypha are other books with historical value. On this I know we disagree and thats ok. Your Catholic faith teaches you that the apocrypha is Scritpure.

Fact is, again this is what it is in Greek

“And of her the soul will pierce a sword so as may be revealed out of many hearts (the) thoughts”

clearly the NIV is not correct in it’s translation of that verse.

I would think that “sola scripturists” would want all the scripture they could get! (unless it’s Catholic, of course!). The debate continues, but the same church that canonized everything in your bible also canonized the deuterocanon. Obviously, opinions vary.

Christ’s peace.

SIA,

Your qoute above states you pray the Rosary? I am so pleased to read that you pray the Rosary.

Now tell me what do you feel about Our Blessed Mother?

You have mentioned that I am self centered and I should spend some time on learning about other faiths…Ok if you believe that. What is your faith are you a Christain cause you don’t state any religeon on your profile here. I am asking cause I am not self centered and I want to know about your religeon/faith. Also, why don’t you state any on your profile?

Dah, I know there are Protestants who pray the Rosary I have seen many and shortly there after they become Catholics… I pray that you be next.

Ufamtobie

Thank you! :thumbsup: I’m getting slightly tired of having to re-point out the totally obvious. Such a blatant modification, an obvious re-ordering of scritpure sentences was clearly done with an agenda - one which just happens to support the diminution of the Mother of God. When I am in the Judgment Seat, I will not have to explain why I derided or minimized the importance of the Virgin Mary.

I am closer to the bad thief than the good one, but nevertheless must ask the Mary bashers: “Have you no fear of God?”

Christ’s peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.