Jesus Christ and His presence

Re: How can Christ come at the Second Coming if He is already present in the Eucharist?

Dear Blank,

No problem. Jesus can be present in more than one way at the same time. At the Last Supper He was present physically in the form of man and He was also present sacramentally under the form or appearance of bread and wine. So at the Second Comming He may well be present sacramentally in tabernacles throughout the world, but He can still come in His glory none the less.
Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Do you not find this just a bit contrary to what the Bible teaches?
Jesus said: John 14:9 Jesus said unto him, Have I been so long a time with you, and yet have you not known me, Philip? he that has seen me has seen the Father; and how say you then, Show us the Father?

John 16:1-15 These things have I spoken unto you, that you should not be offended. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time comes, that whosoever kills you will think that he does God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me. But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, you may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you. But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asks me, Where do you go? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and you see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but you cannot bear them now. But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you. All things that the Father has are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you.
Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not a high priest who cannot be touched with the feeling of our weaknesses; but was in all points tempted like we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

In all His Glory: Revelation 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and revealed it by his angel unto his servant John:
Revelation 1:7-8 Behold, he comes with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also who pierced him: and all tribes of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, says the Lord, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty. Revelation 1:13-15 And in the midst of the seven lampstands one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girded about the breast with a golden belt. His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine bronze, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. Revelation 1:16-18 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shines in its strength. And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hades and of death.

This is the LORD Jesus Christ that I know from the Bible.

Philippians 2:10-11 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I thought Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father. He said He would send a Helper ,the Holy Spirit to be with us. :confused: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]I thought Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father. He said He would send a Helper ,the Holy Spirit to be with us. :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

That is exactly what is posted above. Thank you, and I appreciate the fact that someone here has backed up what I posted.

Ruth,

There is nothing contrary of what Fr. Serpa said with what you quoted. “He has that seen me has seen the Father.” Yes, everytime we see the Eucharist, we also see the Father. As far as quoting Christ saying that He must go away, that speaks of Jesus going away in the sense of being crucified. It can also mean going to His Father, which does not at all contradict what Fr. Serpa said. We also know that Jesus is present with us until the end of the world. He does this through the sacrament of the Eucharist. Again, can you show me how that is at all contrary?

So then you don’t believe Matt 18:20? “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Either Christ can be here on earth or He can’t. Which is it?

[quote=VociMike]So then you don’t believe Matt 18:20? “For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Either Christ can be here on earth or He can’t. Which is it?
[/quote]

I echo this with Matt 28:20 “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

[quote=SPOKENWORD]I thought Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father. He said He would send a Helper ,the Holy Spirit to be with us. :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Spoken,

what were you getting at? Were you agreeing with Ruth101 or were you doubting what she was saying? Just interested to know.

MaggieOH

[/quote]

Jesus promised to be with us, even to the end of time, so if your saying because Jesus is in Heaven right now then He can’t be here, then how does that tally with Christs words ? ( to be with us until the end of time)
Even the Saints have bilocated, and can a God that can create something out of nothing, not do a simple thing like bilocate ? :smiley:

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.