Jesus Christ and Temptation

Was Christ ever tempted outside of the time when he spent the 40 days and nights in the wilderness? Do the early church Fathers speak of any other time when he was tempted? :confused:

Short answer yes see

[size=3].
[size=3]Heb 4:15[/size] For we have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Notice the word all. The best definition I ever heard for the word all " excluding nothing"

[/size]

I’ve never come across something specific that gives some other event where Jesus was tempted besides that found in the Gospel. Even if you could find something, at best you could call it a pious legend, along the same lines as other extra-scriptural stories of Mary and Joseph.

I see no problem with thinking either way on the matter. If Jesus was tempted once, it wouldn’t be shocking to think that He was tempted again. Of course, the end result is always the same: He did not sin!

But, since it is not in Scripture or any official Church teaching, there’s certainly nothing that would obligate someone to think that Jesus was tempted at any other time.

Of course, whenever we speak of this passage, it is important to say that “temptation” does not mean “desire to sin”, as if Jesus wanted to sin but just barely restrained himself.

I recommend Pope Benedict XVI’s book Jesus of Nazareth. It has a whole chapter dedicated to the temptation of Jesus and it is quite insightful and beautiful.

Note that Saint Luke says [4:13]

And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.

I have seen it suggested that the devil returned to resume the temptation at the Agony in the Garden and /or during the Crucifixion. This seems to have been the inspirtation in Gibson’s Passion.

Interesting. :slight_smile: So more than likely Christ was tempted more? :confused:

I never considered this Bible verse before. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.