Jesus Christ died ONCE AND FOR ALL! Why then should people act as if it was never enough.

“Easter . . .celebrated for many centuries, and again, because Jesus Christ died ONCE AND FOR ALL! Why then should people act as if it was never enough. Isn’t that an insult in HIS part?”…what is your take on this?

I see you are catholic. You should know why. We’re not saying its ‘not good enough’, but there are other things you need to do in addition to accepting his salvation.

Thank you, Pumpkinseed…actually, this was posted in my FB by a non-catholic relative… a Baptist!..i just don’t know how to react or answer it…

He died so that we could live in Him.

[SIGN]LETS LIVE IN HIM[/SIGN]

[quote="queenofpeace, post:3, topic:279594"]
Thank you, Pumpkinseed....actually, this was posted in my FB by a non-catholic relative...... a Baptist!....i just don't know how to react or answer it...

[/quote]

True, Jesus died for our sins. He merely canceled our condemnation in Hell for our sins. Now that we have escaped Hell we should do our part for getting into Heaven. Among other things, this requires being cleansed of our sinful nature.

Sin is the just the effect; the cause is sinful nature. To shed it, we need to accept the crosses which are God-sent.

[quote="queenofpeace, post:1, topic:279594"]
"Easter . . .celebrated for many centuries, and again, because Jesus Christ died ONCE AND FOR ALL! Why then should people act as if it was never enough. Isn't that an insult in HIS part?"

[/quote]

nope.

......what is your take on this?

[/quote]

Your birthday... celebrated for many years, and again, because you were physically born ONCE! Why then should people act as if it wasn't enough. Isn't it an insult in YOUR part? Be a Christian and stop celebrating (and allowing others to celebrate) your birthday. :rolleyes:

Oh... just in case the issue of a crucifix vs an empty cross comes up... Was it Christ's sacrifice ON THE CROSS that saves us, or his rising from the dead? So, if a Catholic wishes to focus on the love that Christ displayed for us on the cross... the Protestant needs to back off and get a clue.

Sorry... its been a bad day and perhaps the question pushed a button. :mad:

Thank you, Pumpkinseed....actually, this was posted in my FB by a non-catholic relative...... a Baptist!....i just don't know how to react or answer it...

[/quote]

It is so incredibly easy to be a Baptist, apparently. I wonder what they think about Jesus saying: you are my friends if you do what I command you, or that His Blood was shed for "many" but not all, or that we need to remain in Him and He in us; or that we have no life in us if we do not eat His Body and drink His Blood; or that those who persevere to the end will be saved; or that He is the vine and we are the branches, and that we must remain a part of the vine, or the vine dresser will cut off those branches and throw them into the fire, or that not all who call out "Lord, Lord" will be saved, or what Saint Paul said in Romans 11:22, that we must abide in God's goodness or we will be cut off. Or Paul saying that he forgave sins in the Person of Christ. It goes on and on.

Yet, reading and pondering the entire bible, instead of just selected parts, gives us much more to think about.

Mt 26:28, Mk 1424

[/quote]

It is so incredibly easy to be a Baptist, apparently. I wonder what they think about Jesus saying: you are my friends if you do what I command you, or that His Blood was shed for "many" but not all, or that we need to remain in Him and He in us; or that we have no life in us if we do not eat His Body and drink His Blood; or that those who persevere to the end will be saved; or that He is the vine and we are the branches, and that we must remain a part of the vine, or the vine dresser will cut off those branches and throw them into the fire, or that not all who call out "Lord, Lord" will be saved, or what Saint Paul said in Romans 11:22, that we must abide in God's goodness or we will be cut off. Or Paul saying that he forgave sins in the Person of Christ. It goes on and on.

Yet, reading and pondering the entire bible, instead of just selected parts, gives us much more to think about.

"Easter . . .celebrated for many centuries, and again, because Jesus Christ died ONCE AND FOR ALL! Why then should people act as if it was never enough. Isn't that an insult in HIS part?"......what is your take on this?

[/quote]

In what way exactly do we act like it was 'never enough'? Of course it was enough.

At the same time what He did was a gift from Him to us. If you give someone a present something is required on their part - they need to undo the wrapping, take the gift out of its box, use and enjoy the gift.

That is what our repeated celebrations - Mass, Easter, Christmas and whatnot - are for.

"Easter . . .celebrated for many centuries, and again, because Jesus Christ died ONCE AND FOR ALL! Why then should people act as if it was never enough. Isn't that an insult in HIS part?"......what is your take on this?

[/quote]

It's a non sequiter. We don't celebrate Easter in order to somehow "make up for' some imagined deficiency in Christ's sacrificial act.
We celebrate because we* rejoice*, as married couples celebrate the anniversary of their wedding, and people celebrate each other's birthdays.

Hi queenofpeace,

The Word was made flesh, and 'dwells' among us. The crucifixion of Jesus was pre-destined by Almighty God to show the ultimate selflessness of His true love. Jesus shows us how far He is prepared to go to redeem us from the sins of our human condition as a living memorial on an ongoing basis. As we commit sins in our human lives, so we continue to crucify Him in our spiritual lives. Hence we must renounce our sins and be reconciled with Our Father if we truly seek eternal life. (It is not going to happen by iself for some one-off event 2000 years ago).

The Easter celebration provides a reminder, a spiritual compass bearing, and a way back to the Father through the spiritual desert of our sinful blindness.

Hope this helps,

God bless

[quote="Reepicheep, post:10, topic:279594"]
It's a non sequiter. We don't celebrate Easter in order to somehow "make up for' some imagined deficiency in Christ's sacrificial act.
We celebrate because we* rejoice*, as married couples celebrate the anniversary of their wedding, and people celebrate each other's birthdays.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Hi Po18guy,

Most of the above is perfectly consistent with the reformed position on Sola Fide.
Those whom God Justifies will do as the Lord commanded, have had their sins forgiven by his blood, will remain in him, will have a living and active faith, will abide in Gods goodness. After all Romans 8:30 states: "And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."
Those predestined to salvation are called, justified and glorified.

Peace

Lincs :)

The reformed position? Is called heresy. Being polite I know of no other way to put it.

Justification as Luther and Calvin proposed is a heresy and a very old one at that. Nothing new they bought to the table.

New-Advent Justification ...will inform anyone of the topic who choose's to proceed with an open-mind. Men are sinners always will be. And its not for men to determine who is predestined its Gods will as I AM. And He wills his Sanctifying Grace as He so wills, not as man desires or thinks. Far from men to decide who will walk through the gates of heaven.

Faith is a infused supernatural virtue each receive at the moment of Baptism. This infused virtue does not always remain in every soul Baptised. In many cases's it is lost, some are not aware of their obligation to preserve this virtue of the Lord. The "basic" basis of our salvation is Faith, for its impossible to please God without faith. However Faith alone is "not enough", yet it is absolutely necessary. If faith is taken we cannot be saved unless we regain our faith.

A heretic believes many things a Catholic believes. A heretic unlike an apostate denies one or a few of the articles of faith. An apostate rejects them all.

A heretic really doesn't have faith otherwise he would accept what God teachs. Because he chooses to only accept this or that dogma, he only has a kind of "opinion" which in many ways agrees with the articles of faith or outright denies them. As we see here in this topic.

However because the heretic rejects some dogmas his belief is not based on faith. Where a man who believes "everything" God teachs is TRUE because the Faithful Soul knows that GOD who is ALL KNOWING who is ALL HOLY cannot tell a lie, and cannot be mistaken.

So who shall we believe Gods chosen Apostles or the heretics?

Incidentally, we may here call attention to another significant fact, namely that it was Luther who laid the foundation for the separation of religion and morality. For, by stating that fiduciary faith alone suffices for obtaining both justification and eternal happiness, he minimized our moral faculties to such an extent that charity and good works no longer affect our relations with God. By this doctrine Luther opened a fundamental breach between religion and morality, between faith and law, and assigned to each its own distinct sphere of action in which each can attain its end independent of the other.

Precisely why we hear "Why Pay any Attention to Christ Crucified on Holy Week" why would that matter its over finished, we are predestined to be Holy with him. :rolleyes:

We have an "Authentic Doctrine" on justification and a authentic explanation of the Catholic doctrine in the famous "Decretum de justificatione" of the Sixth Session (13 Jan., 1547) of the Council of Trent, which in sixteen chapters (cf. Denzinger-Bannwart, "Enchir.", nn.793-810) and thirty-three canons (l.c., 811-43) gives in the clearest manner all necessary information about the process, causes, effects, and qualities of justification. :thumbsup:

Peace

[quote="Lincoln7, post:13, topic:279594"]
Hi Po18guy,

Most of the above is perfectly consistent with the reformed position on Sola Fide.
Those whom God Justifies will do as the Lord commanded, have had their sins forgiven by his blood, will remain in him, will have a living and active faith, will abide in Gods goodness. After all Romans 8:30 states: "And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified."
Those predestined to salvation are called, justified and glorified.

Peace

Lincs :)

[/quote]

Yet, you likely mean something substantially different from the same scriptures. However, there is also a specific and equally valid Jamesian teaching on not being justified by sola fide. The Catholic bible neither begins with, nor ends with Romans. As well, we may use the same words in many cases, but there is a radically new and different twist that has been put on the meaning of the words of scripture in the last 495 years. And, if you don't like that particular meaning, you are free to come up with a different one.

Jesus told us that He would not leave us orphans.

Its the new history from 1500 foward :thumbsup: The one which totally ignores factual history in Christianity.

St Paul not only spoke about Christ Crucified, he never stopped talking about it. :shrug: Nor did any of the Apostles. Pretty much the climax of the NT.

It's just like a birthday present... Because even with a gift you have to put some effort in to unwrap it. Possibly send the giver a thank you note.

If all you do is look at the gift sitting in the corner and be happy that you got one without doing anything to actually OPEN it, then you'll never be able to appreciate the gift in it's full capacity.

Christ gave us a beautiful gift, it's our responsibility to put some effort into unwrapping it though.

Just a comparison that I was always taught. A lot of "grace alone" people that I encounter aren't up to hearing any sort of deep theological reasoning; it's better to put it in simple terms that everyone understands.

[quote="SpeSalvi, post:17, topic:279594"]
It's just like a birthday present... Because even with a gift you have to put some effort in to unwrap it. Possibly send the giver a thank you note.

If all you do is look at the gift sitting in the corner and be happy that you got one without doing anything to actually OPEN it, then you'll never be able to appreciate the gift in it's full capacity.

Christ gave us a beautiful gift, it's our responsibility to put some effort into unwrapping it though.

Just a comparison that I was always taught. A lot of "grace alone" people that I encounter aren't up to hearing any sort of deep theological reasoning; it's better to put it in simple terms that everyone understands.

[/quote]

Sanctifying Grace seems to be an issue doesn't it. A work in progress is what it is on the Way of the Cross. For that Cross is everyones Cross.

Peace

It is enough. I notice the question was from a baptist, who in all likelihood, does not believe Jesus is God. Absent that basic Christian belief there may be no response.

Well again being polite, souls may want to celebrate the Easter Bunny, Easter Eggs and Santa Claus or whatever. And we say Amen.

Here in the world of Catholicism we "observe" the Mass of the Lords Supper on Holy Thursday. That is the Tradition, and the answer to "why".

That could be found for our sola scriptura readers in the following verse's

Exodus 12:1-8 and 11-14

Psalm 115:12-13 and 116:15-18

1 Corinthians 11:23-26

Gospel of John chapter 13.

Peace

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.