"Jesus Christ is the first made/created among all things". "The human nature or the flesh of Jesus Christ is made/created". Are the two propositions reasonable?

Dear friends on Catholic Answers Forums:

I am a prospective Taiwanese Catholic living in Taiwan. I have joined RCIA-like programs here. But the study materials provided by the teachers of the programs are not exciting enough for me. So I am trying to self-study CCC and Compendium.

I checked the largest forum in Taiwan, and found the two most debated Christianity propositions there, and putted them in the title. Could someone please respond to the two propositions, and therefore broaden my horizons? I will appreciate very much. :slight_smile:

(Should I better post on another forum?)

The Son (the Word which would be made flesh) has existed eternally as God. He was not created or made in any sense. Therefore it’s inappropriate to call Jesus Christ the first creation. That is what the Arians claimed and which was condemned as heresy. The human nature of Jesus, though, is created, as much as we are. I don’t believe that is unreasonable.

I thought Jesus Christ was eternally begotten of God the Father, not the first made/created being. That phrase (made/created) for some reason doesn’t sit well with me, it almost seems to remove Christ from being a person of the Holy Trinity…

Jesus Chris is not a created being, He has exist eternally, along with the Father and the Holy Spirit, as a Trinity. His received a human body within Time, and so in a sense that body was created, but due to the nature of eternity, it is also true that Christ has always had His body.

Timeless is really hard for us to understand. We’re used to cause and effect, and a constant progression from event to event. To God, all of “time” as we understand it is an ever-present “NOW” in which all moments of Time are equally present to God.

It is possible that they are confusing “first made/created” with “Firstborn”.

“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation” (Col 1:15).
“He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent” (Col 1:18).

Firstborn is a title of preeminence and not necessarily first in chronological order as in the story of Jacob and Esau.

From the Nicene Creed:I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages… Begotten, not made

That’s it! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.