Jesus Christ prayed to the Father that we would all be one so why aren't we one?

Hey everyone. In the Gospel of Saint John, it is recorded that Jesus prayed to our Heavenly Father and His Father that we would all be one. So my question is, why aren’t we all one? Did God choose not to answer this prayer or will there be a future time in which we are all one as one Body of Christ and not several thousand denominations?

When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven and said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify thy Son that the Son may glorify thee, since thou hast given him power over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom thou hast given him. And this is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent. I glorified thee on earth, having accomplished the work which thou gavest me to do; and now, Father, glorify thou me in thy own presence with the glory which I had with thee before the world was made. "I have manifested thy name to the men whom thou gavest me out of the world; thine they were, and thou gavest them to me, and they have kept thy word. Now they know that everything that thou hast given me is from thee; for I have given them the words which thou gavest me, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from thee; and they have believed that thou didst send me. I am praying for them; I am not praying for the world but for those whom thou hast given me, for they are thine; all mine are thine, and thine are mine, and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name, which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in thy name, which thou hast given me; I have guarded them, and none of them is lost but the son of perdition, that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them thy word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not pray that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth. As thou didst send me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth. “I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and thou in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that thou hast sent me and hast loved them even as thou hast loved me. Father, I desire that they also, whom thou hast given me, may be with me where I am, to behold my glory which thou hast given me in thy love for me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world has not known thee, but I have known thee; and these know that thou hast sent me. I made known to them thy name, and I will make it known, that the love with which thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
(John 17:1-26 RSV-CE)

"I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. The glory which thou hast given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, I in them and thou in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that thou hast sent me and hast loved them even as thou hast loved me.
(John 17:20-23 RSV-CE)

Obvious answer is the devil setting us apart. But, humanity has also played a major role.

I don’t want to sound offensive, but I have heard people who are bible only Christians that say, there’s nothing in the bible about being 1, I point to them to this chapter in John, the 2 letters to the Corinthians, and Ephesians, which states we are 1 body.

My gut tells me it’s a lot of bad intentioned pastors who don’t want to follow the bible for its word, and the laity just wanting to be part of a church that pleases them.

Free Will…God allows us to choose our own way and unfortunately sometimes we choose wrong.

Individual churches have always had differences. The Letters of the Apostles were meant to unify the churches on certain key doctrines. In God’s eyes it is as simple as goats and sheep.

Christian churches are more less local. They have one Gospel. They teach that Jesus is the resurrected Lord and Savior. They follow at least two ordinances, Baptism and Communion. They teach of the second coming and the judgment of the world. Mostly they teach salvation by grace not works though most don’t teach that principle well enough.

I think the real problem is that not enough people study their Bibles. They don’t read them literally and account them as orthodoxy.

The Book of Revelation admonishes certain churches for wrong doing and praises them for what the do well. It has always been this way. We should all strive to be better and to work together. I believe the first Council of Nicene had it right in their creed.

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of all things visible and invisible.
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, begotten of the Father [the only-begotten; that is, of the essence of the Father, God of God], Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father;
By whom all things were made [both in heaven and on earth];
Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down and was incarnate and was made man;
He suffered, and the third day he rose again, ascended into heaven;
From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
And the Holy Ghost

People are sinners and corrupt every organization eventually. The corruption should be fought and if it doesn’t change we move on and establish new churches with the Gospel
and the process begins anew.

We must always strive to make our local church Holy.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Sin…

Including yours and mine. :frowning:

Well speaking the Truth is only offensive to those that do not want to hear it. Jesus founded the One True Church, the Catholic Church. That Church is the pillar and foundation of the Truth. Scott Hahn and other protestant converts to the Catholic Church allude to what you say. They admittedly avoided from talking about Scripture like John 6 and also following a doctrine (Bible alone) that is not even in the Bible.

Especially John 6, I remember when my gf and I were reading John, and we got to John 6, she cried. She had never been taught from that Gospel in her SDA church. I told her, hun, its sad that you guys call yourself a Bible only Church yet don’t read the whole Bible.

You cannot be divided and say that we are doing God’s will.
2 Timothy 3:16,what Paul is saying that all Scripture is inspired he was talking about the Old Testament, including the 7 Deuterocanonical books,

I believe we should start with the greatest commandments, they must be above all else when it comes to unity.

If the greatest is not in place, all the lesser laws will not work.

The Church teaches that all validly baptized Christians are one body in Christ, right? Basically that all baptized Christians consist of the Body of Christ. Could this be the unity that Jesus was praying for or was He calling for a different kind of unity?

But how should we be one with the Jewish people? They are God’s chosen people from the beginning.

Or should we even strive to be as one, with people who are different to us?

Your wrong because Paul said be united, not only by baptism but don’t be with those who cause division. If your Catholic, and become Protestant, more than likely your going to be re-baptized bc they don’t believe in infant baptism claim that the RCC is wrong. That’s not unity.

Mike SoCal #4
People are sinners and corrupt every organization eventually. The corruption should be fought and if it doesn’t change we move on and establish new churches with the Gospel and the process begins anew.
We must always strive to make our local church Holy.

The sole Church so clearly established by Christ, the Son of God, cannot be corrupted in Her teaching on faith and morals.
To “establish new churches with the Gospel” is doomed to the failure of omitting essentials as mere humans, without Christ’s authority, cannot agree on what is the fullness of truth.

All four promises to Peter alone:
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
“I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven." ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later also to the Twelve].

Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

Jesus warned dissenters: “if he refuses to hear even the Church let him be like the heathen and a publican.” (Mt 18:17).

St. Paul says also, “through the Church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places (Eph 3:10).” The Church teaches even the angels! This is with the authority of Christ!

When Christ’s Church that teaches the angels is denigrated – by a type described by Christ as a “heathen and a publican” for not listening to Christ’s Church – then error is promoted.

Thus the aim should be to make one’s self holy, by following Christ’s Supreme Vicar and His Church.

Jesus gave us the answer.

“A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed some see fell on the path…some on rocky ground…some among thorns…and some on rich soil.”

I believe this refers not only to evangelization but to those in the church as well. Because those in the church may let their soil become hard.

I think the real problem is that not enough people study their Bibles. They don’t read them literally and account them as orthodoxy.

There is a big difference in taking the Bible literally and reading it as a literalist. If a writer writes down that it is raining cats and dogs outside he is literally saying its pouring down rain in great quantities. A literalist will say there are actually cats and dogs falling from the sky.

People are sinners and corrupt every organization eventually. The corruption should be fought and if it doesn’t change we move on and establish new churches with the Gospel and the process begins anew.

This is precisely why there is division. People study their bibles on their own and immediately think they are right and the church leader, pastor or whoever is wrong so they go out and establish a new church. Then someone else thinks that person is wrong and they go out and as you say “…the process begins anew.” No central authority, every man for himself. That’s the reason Jesus established A Church and gave her authority to loose and bind. He didn’t give every Joe Blow authority to set up their own church. He promised to be with that Church till the end of time. You can’t study the bible on your own and make up your mind as to what are correct doctrines and which are false. In the early days of the church there were no Christian Bookstores around the corner with a variety of bibles from which to choose from.

We have to study not only the Bible, but what was being taught by the Early Church when there was no compiled bible around. For example I don’t find explicitly stated “Thou shall baptize infants”, but we do read where the apostles baptized “whole” households, and during those times several families constituted a household and surely there were infants in many of them. So we study and read what the Early Church was doing, before the Bible was complied and we find that the early Church Fathers, some of who were taught by the apostles themselves, were baptizing infants and stating that this was a direct teaching from the Apostles, and we know that it was Jesus who taught the apostles.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.