Jesus Christ SuperStar: Women of Faith (get your tickets now!)

This is really crazy and sad. There is this thing called Women of Faith and it takes place in sports arenas all over the nation every year.
WomenofFaith.com
I think its a pure money making scam with lots of hype backing it.
The tickets range from $55-$100. Where I live I hear its sold out every year, and in most arenas the seating is around 20,000 so 55x20,000 is $1.1 million dollars!!! Someone is going to be happy! And if there is 28 conferences all over the nation per year thats over 30 million dollars per year!!

http://www.womenoffaith.com/About/images/whatheader.gif                                                                                               **http://www.womenoffaith.com/About/images/whatsthis-ani.gif**It’s two days, 10½ hours. It’s refreshment, reality without reproach, and relationships. So what does that mean?

**Refreshment** – Imagine getting together with your closest girlfriends for a weekend. Think of the laughter you’d share, the tears you’d shed, the FUN you’d have. Now multiply that by 10,000 or so. You’re starting to get the idea.

**Relationships** – Connecting with God and with each other. At Women of Faith we believe that God loves you – no matter what your situation in life may be. We also believe that He wants a personal relationship with you. Through our conferences, more than 150,000 women have indicated decisions to start or renew that relationship. 

Here is what it says on the Women in Ministry page!**
Why “Women in Ministry”?**

One of the things we’ve learned at Women of Faith is                      that women who are in http://www.womenoffaith.com/association/images/wimjoin.gifministry and leadership positions have really been overlooked when it comes to training and materials. Apparently women do such a good job without any help that nobody realized we needed it. The women in these positions realized it, though. And many of them came to us asking for help.

So we prayed about it and thought about it and decided that we should be doing something to equip and encourage the encouragers. That’s what the Women of Faith Association: Women in Ministry is all about – coming alongside each other to help further the Kingdom.

Most women influence others. Whether you are involved in a formal women’s ministry program at your church, or have influence in your neighborhoods or at your place of work, our desire is to help equip you to be all you’re called to be and do all He’s called you to do.

The answer? The Women of Faith Association.

Today, thousands of women (and a few men!) have joined the Women of Faith Association and benefit throughout the year. Email messages written by Women of Faith speakers especially for our members show up in your inbox each week. Every other month, another inspiration - and information-filled issue of Connection magazine arrives in the mail. When an additional, non-scheduled dose of encouragement is needed, members may indulge in a little retail therapy at the online store and save 20% on purchases of Women of Faith/Thomas Nelson merchandise through our online store - discount also applies to phone orders at 888-49-FAITH…

http://www.womenoffaith.com/Association/images/reception2.jpgAt the conference, “membership has its privileges!” We kick off each conference weekend with a special members-only Meet’N’Greet reception. Attendees enjoy a special time of fellowship with members of the Women of Faith speaking team and staff along with refreshments, prizes and other fun! As an added benefit, Association members may sit in a special area of preferred conference seating with up to three of their friends.

Scared yet?
This is where Protestantism has taken us.

I am having trouble understanding your objections to this program and why you think it spells disaster for Protestantism. All kinds of groups hold big conferences, sponsored by Catholic or other Christian denominations and institutions. Billy Graham is in the middle of another big one right now. Rental of a statium, hiring speakers and paying their expenses, security and logistics are not cheap, not to mention the cost of sound system, music and all that entails. Plus the worship aids, handouts for talks, programs, songbooks etc.

Are you implying that this is a money-making operation?

Are you implying that the women are plotting to take over their own congregations?

What is your beef?

I am having trouble understanding your objections to this program and why you think it spells disaster for Protestantism. All kinds of groups hold big conferences, sponsored by Catholic or other Christian denominations and institutions. Billy Graham is in the middle of another big one right now. Rental of a statium, hiring speakers and paying their expenses, security and logistics are not cheap, not to mention the cost of sound system, music and all that entails. Plus the worship aids, handouts for talks, programs, songbooks etc.

The disaster is that Christ is being lost is all this hype and other forms of watering down the Gospel. Every year something new comes out. Remember those WWJD bracelets and stuff? Did that really cause people to stop and think or was it just a fashion statment? In this case they are asking for money left and right. Right on the home page it says get a free Tshirt when you sign up for the women of faith Visa Card. Sign up for the book club, shop online, etc. Is this the Gospel message? When you look into this organization they dont really have any one view on Christianity, just the feel good view. I agree that money has to go to cover all these expenses, but its also pretty clear that someone is going home with a nice size check at the end of the day.

Are you implying that this is a money-making operation?

The heart of modern day Protestant Christianity, make money using the Gospel message. Everything from benny hinn to the 700 club, asking for money.

Are you implying that the women are plotting to take over their own congregations?

Im sure it fuels thoughts of doing such things. There is definitely a element of feminism, though Im sure that most of the women who attend are not feminists.

What is your beef?

My main beef is that this IS really about the money and not about anything concerning Christianity, worse yet its under the guise of Christianity.

Thanks, but I’ll pass… if I had the extra $1500 it would take to get me to such a conference and pay for my stay, meals, entrance fees, etc…

:bounce: Oh, I would make such cheerful gifts to my parish and priestsforlife.org and Catholic Answers and EWTN - in gratefulness for my conversion! It’s my dream to make enough money to help support the ministries and charities that are carrying out Christ’s missions.

When an additional, non-scheduled dose of encouragement is needed, members may indulge in a little retail therapy at the online store and save 20% on purchases of Women of Faith/Thomas Nelson merchandise through our online store -

I haven’t decided exactly what it is, but there’s something kind of creepy about that part that I bolded.

I never found any consolation or “therapy” in any of the things I have ever purchased. (And believe me, I tried! I really worked at it! I ran up over $100,000 in credit card debts trying find “things” that would fill me. A new house full of new things never did it. ON the contrary, it bought us terrible debt and struggle. But, here’s a Christian organization promoting acquisitiveness as therapy?)

Maybe they’re just kidding around.

Elizabeth

I consider myself a woman of faith…I’m not going to bash this, but, personally, the thought of being with so many women I don’t know makes me ill. I don’t like being in situations with ONLY women for too long. I think men and women need each other to do great things. Just the thought of being “trapped” with so much estrogen makes me feel annoyed… I feel the same way about being with ONLY men, I like a combination of *good, well intentioned, *people no matter the gender. This conference is not my cup of joe, and I am sure it would fail to be conducive to Catholic Doctrine anyway.

I agree, do you think they are serious or is this a joke of bad taste? This whole think just sounds annoying!

hmm… Catholics have had a special women’s ministry for a VERY long time, longer than the formation of the Protestant church. It’s called a convent.

Any Catholic woman drawn in by the catchy merchandise should seek out a Catholic women’s retreat.

The merchandise reminds me of Logenberger baskets or any other little trendy housewifey thing, “She has a women of Faith totebag, I should be friends with her…” I have friends obsessed with owning tupperware, Pampered Chef, Stampin’ up stamps, Logenberger baskets, the list goes on.

wow, everyone (save puzzleannie) seems pretty quick to judge this thing. i have never been (nor do i ever really intend to) one of these things (probably because i am a man, but also it’s just not my thing), but i would hope we could be a little more encouraging of others who claim Christ. i would say we share a common baptism with most of these folks, and if you disagree with them (which you haven’t been there so you don’t know what you disagree with them about other than the catholic/protestant arguments which may be enough to not attend but not enough to bash them), you should let them know what you disagree with (in charity) and maybe help them with some ideas for improvement. if they don’t take your suggestions…so be it, but your conscience will be clear.

Seems like a money-maker to me. Looking at the website, I see a lot of catch phrases and “warm fuzzies” but little substance. It may not be a bad thing, but it’s not for me. The conference sounds like a 10 hour pep talk. Of course, that’s JMHO.

The bottom line is that these types of conferences are nothing more than “health and wealth” seminars. The underlying assumption is that you cannot be Catholic and a Christian. They have very high-pressure alter calls at these seminars and really promote their books and tapes. You will be pressured to “plant a seed” or give a “love offering”. These things are not of God.

BAD NEWS. STAY AWAY!!!

[quote=jaz1976]… These things are not of God.

[/quote]

you don’t know this so i would be careful saying this. we take a collection at every mass…is that not of God? catholic authors push their books, catholic answers wants people on their cruise and to give to their radio program…is that not of God? don’t judge it. if it’s not of God, it will fail. if it is of God, you don’t want to be the one who stands in the way.

[quote=bengal_fan]you don’t know this so i would be careful saying this. we take a collection at every mass…is that not of God? catholic authors push their books, catholic answers wants people on their cruise and to give to their radio program…is that not of God? don’t judge it. if it’s not of God, it will fail. if it is of God, you don’t want to be the one who stands in the way.
[/quote]

Bengal Fan,

Let me say it again: “health and wealth” gospel, high pressure alter calls, using God’s name for a conference just to really push books and CD’s, going on with the assumption that Catholics are not Christian; yes, I am going to go out on a limb and say that these things are NOT of God.

[quote=jaz1976] yes, I am going to go out on a limb and say that these things are NOT of God.
[/quote]

Hope this here limb is purty sturdy. :slight_smile:

I think it’s more about making money than God, too. Not to say that some people who participate aren’t going to have some conversions, but I don’t think that’s the primary goal of the promoter.

If these things were to just break even, my bet is that they’d belly-flop in a heartbeat, no matter how many souls were coming to that altar.

But, Robert Tilton X 10000 people** X** 18 times a year **= **$One Whopping Wad of Ca$h.

“Retail therapy.” Ick.

Elizabeth

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.