Jesus Christ Superstar

What is your opinion of the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar? If you aren’t familiar with that Andrew Lloyd Weber work you can view some segments here. tinyurl.com/2slrna

The rock opera is nothing more than a study in taking the Lord’s name in vain set to music.

Have you watched it?

I have.

I never liked the music from JCS, exept for “I don’t know how to love him.”

I loved Godspell…I’ve seen it numerous times…great play.

I saw it live 4 months ago and it was fantastic.

That would be fantastic!

Personally I just love it! I watched most of the You Tube selections last night and I find it so inspiring. Great music, great dancing, just a wonderful presentation of the story. I can’t imagine why anyone would not like it. I gotta get the DVD.

How is it taking the Lord’s name in vain?

Funny. That’s the one song I really dislike from it.

I don’t find anything very wrong with the musical. Obviously, it isn’t overly respectful of its subject matter, but what do you expect?

I think it does make some interesting observations. Characterizing someone like Jesus is… pretty much impossible. How exactly do you express someone who is equally human and divine? Webber’s version of Jesus is very human and raises interesting questions about how his humanity affected how he felt about what was going on. I also very much like his version of Judas. Often, Judas is characterized as the ultimate sinner, the ultimate betrayer. But it’s unlikely that Judas did what he did out of pure evil or maliciousness. As they say, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

And of course, anything Webber does has great music. King Herod’s Song is one of my favorites.

My DH loves this, and I hadn’t seen it until a couple of years ago. I didn’t like it much – seemed sacrilegious somehow, but that could just be me. It focuses more (or only?) on Jesus’ humanity than on his divinity.

I don’t know exactly why I didn’t like it. Could be that my parents frowned on it while I was growing up and their disapproval has affected me.

Jesus himself was a pretty sacrilegious dude though, you know?

Being that it’s told largely from the point of view of Judas Iscariot, why would anyone expect JCS to be an orthodox reflection on the hypostatic union?

– Mark L. Chance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.