Jesus Christ Superstar

I absolutely love this movie. I know that it has a lot of problems and is certainly not “Catholic”. However, it does make me contemplate my faith and our Lord Jesus Christ. I always walk away feeling so much stronger as a Catholic after watching.

Anyone else share this love?

Hard to believe but even though “a child of the 60’s” I have never seen the film. I listened to the album many times and found it uplifting. That was back in the seventies when I was a devout evangelical protestant. Would be interesting to listen to it again as a Catholic. I doubt if I would care for the movie. I find that I much prefer my mind’s cinematography to anything I have seen on film. Just a mater of personal taste* and perhaps poor eyesight. *

Which movie are you talking about?

The one that came out in the 70’s in mostly modern dress?

Or the one based on the stage revival of the 90’s?

The latter is better, in my opinion.

I did not know that there was two movies :confused:

I do love most of the music - and for an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it has a certain amount of depth to it.

Just as long as you see it, as it was written, as an attempt to portray Christ as Judas might have seen him, rather than as He really was.

Then you can accept, for example, that while He would never have dreamed of actually asking ‘if I die what would be my reward?’ in Gethsemane, for example, but that Judas might imagine His attitude to have been thus.

I went to see the stage show when I was in middle school and it awakened a whole new interest in religion for me. I saw Jesus as more of a real person than the 2 dimensional image I had of him from religion class. I later learned where it was off theologically, but it did help me a lot with my faith at 12.

The funniest thing was one of the local pastors wrote letters forever about how sinful it was…until his son (who had an EXCELLENT bass voice) got cast as Caiphas in a local production!!! :smiley:

Funny :smiley:

My parents’ former parish priest actually got cast as Tevye in a local production of ‘Fiddler on the Roof’ years back. I’d have loved to see that one - he had a good voice too.

I have to say, King Herod’s song is probably my favourite. :smiley: Mr. Webber got his personality down to a T.

Both versions were good, in my opinion. The music is great. :slight_smile:

It is one of my all time favorite movies! I love love LOVE the music. But I do have some issues with it. My main problem with the way Christ is portrayed, is the scene in the cave where Mary Magdalene is rubbing His feet with ointment, and Judas points out that they could have sold that ointment to gather money for the poor. Jesus then says:“Surely you’re not saying we have the resources to save the poor from their lot. There will be poor always, pathetically struggling.” That always seems so unbelievably out of character for the Lord, even in a movie that is obviously seeing things from Judas’ perspective rather than an objective observer.

How is it out of character?

Jesus did say ‘you will always have the poor with you’, which is certainly saying the same thing as the first line of that verse.

And what else do poor people do but pathetically struggle? Sit around going ‘yipee, I’m poor and that’s a great thing to be’? :shrug:

Hmmmm - the emphasis sounds dodgy to me - but then, I must admit I had a “didn’t know he said that!” moment last time the original came up as a Gospel reading… Judas is a doubter - he picks up on stuff like this. It’s years since I’ve seen it, but his suicide in despair over his rejection of Jesus is quite an important part of the film, isn’t it?

Hosanna, Hasanna, sanna sanna ho…

Thats a GENIUS tune! What’s not to like?!?

I think we can be a bit too critical of representations in popular culture, even positive ones like this one. Sometimes I wonder why there’s so little Christianity in popular culture, but seeing how much hassle even something fairly pro-Christian like this gets, I’m wondering if we don’t sometimes shoot ourselves in the foot. Mind you, I like Dogma…

Count me in (I’ve never seen it in theater though; just the two movies and the original concept album)! Yep, I do prefer the 1973 version over the 2000 one in most situations*, despite its ‘datedness’ and oft-campiness; Glenn Carter’s Jesus does not really hold a candle to Ted Neeley’s IMO. Neeley’s voice is just so powerful, especially in the Gethsemane scene. :wink:

Just some minor trivia for you all: did you know there was actually a ‘clean’ version of Heaven On Their Minds (‘clean’ in the sense of the lyrics being changed to remove any possible censorship and offence)? Also note the addition of backup singers…this is the 70’s, after all!
And finally: an interesting analysis of the possible similarities between Mark’s Gospel and the 1973 film, with their emphasis on the “way”.

I have never made it through the movie. I have tried several times but could not stand the “acting.” HOWEVER, I do enjoy the ablums. As a child I had the double record soundtrack and now as an adult, I own the CD version. :thumbsup:

Have you seen the movie? The intention is entirely different. First of all, the use of the word “pathetic” . I know a lot of “poor” people, for lack of a better word, and there is absolutely nothing pathetic about them or their struggle to make ends meet. Second, the way it is delivered in the movie implicates that it is pointless to try and help them. There will always be poor people. Why bother trying to do something about it? This is not at all what Jesus stood for. Why else would He tell us to feed the hungry, clothe the naked and tend to the sick? There will always be hungry and sick people as well, right? :rolleyes:

I think I saw part of the old 70’s movie version a long time ago, but I’m primarily familiar with JCS from having performed in it twice. I know there are certain points of contention theologically which I only realized in retrospect as I became more familiar with my faith following my days as an amateur thespian. But I know it was still powerful for many who came to see it.

I think the show can be done well and it can be done poorly, it just depends on the director. One acquaintance of mine told me she saw the show done in Germany (I think) and at the end of the show, the “Resurrection” scene consisted of Jesus, Judas and Mary Magdalene all getting on a motorcycle and taking off into the sunset together. :eek:

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter <- Now that is a good one! Jk…I only got through like 10 minutes of it

I think it better if we quote the thing:

Judas’ accusation

Woman, your fine ointment, brand new and expensive,
Should have been saved for the poor!
Why has it been wasted? We could have raised maybe
Three hundred silver pieces or more.
People who are hungry, people who are starving -
They matter more than your feet and hair!

Jesus’ reply:

Surely you’re not saying we have the resources
To save the poor from their lot?
There will be poor always, pathetically struggling,
Look at the good things you’ve got!
Think, while you still have me;
Move, while you still see me!
You’ll be lost, and you’ll be [so] sorry when I’m gone!

It just doesn’t sound like Christ to me… Maybe I have a distorted view of Him, or maybe it’s the language barrier that gets in the way (English is my second language, I am a native Dutch speaker).

I guess this is my dirty little secret, but I really like it. I love the humanity of Jesus that is displayed. Yes, it is way out of balance to the fact the Jesus was also the creator of all that is. Still, I like the part of Jesus that they do get right.

Now Judas and the way he is portrayed may make a good story, but that role is totally off from reality.

Simon the Zealot was dead on. Pilate was pretty good too.

No worries. There are plenty of native English speakers who also have a problem with JCS. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.