Jesus Christ Superstar?

Is this movie/musical blasphemous? what do you think?

Yes, at least the original play was that I saw way back in the 70s-80s during the "Flower Power" sexual revolution.

The play verbally and physically insinuates that Jesus had a sexual relationship with Mary of Magdala.

In addition, the perspective of the movie originates out of a culture that included daily binges into a drug induced haze (specifically LSD).

youtube.com/watch?v=jkje4FiH9Qc

I don't know what the production is like in 2011, but I'd imagine it insinuates that Jesus is an "intelligent gay man".

The movie explicitly shows Jesus rejecting Mary’s romantic advances. I don’t think there’s anything in the script that implies this, so in a play version it might be up to the director to imply it through the characters actions or not?

I think that movie is awesome! I don’t see anything bad about it.

Never seen the play. Grew up with it playing on the one station we had as a kids during Easter. I haven’t seen anything wrong with it. I don’t remember any relationship or any mentions of one between Jesus and Mary.

There are though a few threads on this already. or well not specifically this but on Jesus Christ Superstar. I went through a few of them the other day to see what others had thought about it. Answers were all over the place in dis/agreement.

For me, it’s a movie. Catchy songs. But not what I’m basing my beliefs or anything on.

(hehe not sure any of that made sense:blush:)

Yes it is. As well as the latest Narnia movie. I stay away from these kind of things. They are wrong and bad for the soul.

Keep in mind… The play is based on Passion Week as seen thru the eyes of Judas.** He really didn’t get it…** If he wouldn’t have hung himself he might have understood?? :confused:

Yes, there are some very troublesome parts… Especially when Jesus says*** “For all you care, this bread could be my body”…*** Not really what was said, but for all we know this is how Judas may have heard it? :shrug:

I suppose it really depends on the director; for instance I’ve heard the production of Jesus Christ Superstar that had Jack Black as King Herod was incredibly blasphemous. However I went to the play here in Tucson Arizona around 2008 and found the blasphemy to be less than what I expected (also it had Ted Needly from the movie!).

The big issues would probably be.

1. The play mostly keeps a POV with Judas who makes it clear that his view is that Jesus is just a man and that he’s let himself believe he’s God from what people around him have said. Of course this IS Judas and quite honestly in no way is his view or actions any more heroic than what the real Judas was.

2. In the song “The Temple” the song ends with Jesus becoming frustrated with the crowds of sick and poor surrounding him asking for healing and it ends with Jesus shouting at them to “Heal yourself!” before leaving the stage.

3. One of the songs that happens when Jesus is on the cross has Judas come to Jesus from the dead (ususally in a Red tuxedo insinuating he’s in Hell) and the song basically has Judas singing to Jesus if it was all worth it in the end. Some productions makes Judas as a doubtful faithless soul (Such as the one I went to), though I’ve seen that other directors like to use this song to make Judas proud and mocking of Jesus pretty much singing that it was a pointless death.

what is wrong with the latest Narnia movie? :confused:I liked it.

wow I really don’t like that quote…

btw the version I mean is the movie… the original one (?)

do you think that if a child saw it, would they get confused about whether Jesus is God, etc?

btw I have never felt comfortable with this movie/play, even though I don’t know much about it, but what I do know, I don’t really like. So I wanted to check with those who’ve actually seen it and know what it is like :slight_smile:

God bless

I saw this production in Austin, TX. Probably half the songs were in Spanish and the balance in English.

Looking upon it as purely art, I didn't see any problem with it. Sure, there were places where they strayed from the "original script" (the Bible), but that was part of the production. I recognized it as such and wasn't bothered by it.

The cool thing was the wardrobe was all contemporary. Once the character of Jesus came out dressed in blue jeans, an undershirt, and an unbuttoned blue work shirt. He looked very much like a migrant worker from Mexico.

Herod was dressed like a professional wrestler, mask and all.

Pontius Pilate was dressed in a suit and tie, like a corporate CEO. :D

The funniest was the Temple Guards. They were dressed like Texas border guards. Uniforms, mirrored sunglasses, cowboy hats and boots, etc. It was too funny! :rotfl:

I think the production I saw was just fine, if taken in proper context and not as a 100% representation of scripture. Some of the other points, like a gay Jesus or a relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdalene might indeed be blasphemous and worth avoiding.

Emphasis is mine:

[quote=http://www.usccb.org/movies/j/jesuschristsuperstar1973.shtml] Jesus Christ Superstar – Screen version of the Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice musical adds a completely new dimension and drive to the music by virture of a cinematography that enhances the original songs but also threatens to overwhelm them. Director Norman Jewison presents a visual recording, with optical embellishment, of a performance of the rock opera based on the last days of Christ’s life on earth, ending in his crucifixion. Entertaining as musical theater, it can also be seen as a sincere if naive effort to tell the story of Jesus in contemporary musical and ethical terms. Some scenes require a mature perspective. A-III (G) ( 1973 )
[/quote]

If the USCCB didn’t have a problem with it, I don’t know why anyone else would. :shrug:

[quote="OrangeOwl, post:10, topic:236253"]
Emphasis is mine:

If the USCCB didn't have a problem with it, I don't know why anyone else would. :shrug:

[/quote]

yeah, I was shown this movie in Catholic grade school back in 1997 by the pastor himself. It was not confusing to us kids...it was actually interesting, and made Jesus more real.

At the worst, it is merely inaccurate. To call it blasphemous would be too strong a word I think. It's a good movie..worth a watch.

I saw the film in the '70’s and still try to catch it on telly when it’s on. I also went to see a revival of the play in the '90’s over here. I reckon, Jesus Christ Superstar is one of Lord Andrew Lloyd-Webber’s magnificent works. There is a rumour that he found Steve Balsamo’s (the chap who played Jesus) rendition of Gethsemane most moving of all who played the part.

youtube.com/watch?v=CJ6WSjtmxNM

It mocks The Lord and it was easy for me then to decide to forget all about it. May the Lord have mercy on Liam Neeson and provide him with some common sense.

there is absolutely no similarity whatever between these two, have you seen either one? do you know what you are talking about? How does the Narnia move mock the Lord? it is about some kids, some assorted other characters and a lion, not about the Lord.

Perhaps the Lord does not see things as you do, or visa versa. We should no be implying that we know how God judges.

The USCCB says.

Edmund and Lucy battle temptations ranging from vanity and envy to ambition, greed and cowardice. Meanwhile, helped along by the wisdom of one of Caspian’s sidekicks, plucky warrior mouse Reepicheep (voice of Simon Pegg), Eustace endures an unwelcome physical transformation which ultimately leads him down the path toward a far more positive spiritual conversion.
Richly cargoed with Gospel-based moral lessons and Christian overtones, this swashbuckling sequel, despite its occasionally rocky progress through the waves, bears viewers on an enjoyable, and mostly kid-friendly, voyage.

usccb.org/movies/c/chroniclesofnarniavoyage.shtml

I really enjoy the music of Jesus Christ Superstar. I know it has serious inaccuracies, but being inaccurate is not the same thing as blasphemy.

[quote="Flavius_Aetius, post:7, topic:236253"]

1. In the song "The Temple" the song ends with Jesus becoming frustrated with the crowds of sick and poor surrounding him asking for healing and it ends with Jesus shouting at them to "Heal yourself!" before leaving the stage.

[/quote]

Well, there is an incident in Luke 4:23, where Jesus quotes the saying 'physician, heal thyself!' to crowds who are asking for miracles. And there are times where He flat-out refuses - possibly because, like the crowds in the Temple scene, they are after what they can get out of Him rather than listening to His teaching.

1. One of the songs that happens when Jesus is on the cross has Judas come to Jesus from the dead (ususally in a Red tuxedo insinuating he's in Hell) and the song basically has Judas singing to Jesus if it was all worth it in the end. Some productions makes Judas as a doubtful faithless soul (Such as the one I went to), though I've seen that other directors like to use this song to make Judas proud and mocking of Jesus pretty much singing that it was a pointless death.

Judas probably WOULD think that there was no point in Jesus sacrificing His life, assuming he was aware beforehand that this was the plan.

The overwhelming message I get from the scene and final song is simply one of Judas being utterly confused by Christ, being a person the like of whom he has never encountered before.

This comes across clearly to me in the lyrics 'every time I look at you I don't understand' and the repeated cry of 'I only want to know' - even the phrase in the chorus of 'Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ, who are You?'

I have seen the first two ones and the whole Aslam (lion character) gave me a bad feeling.
But hey, that is me. I just recent this kind of portrays.

Why do you even imply that i have an idea about what the Lord would think? That is not possible. You should know it, i do accept that for a fact.

The Aslam character gives me a really bad taste, so does Jesus Christ Superstar.
But of course, this is one private person`s opinion of it.

So no, i do not think much about any of them. I avoid them. Simple as that.

[quote="Monica4316, post:1, topic:236253"]
Is this movie/musical blasphemous? what do you think?

[/quote]

I mean the songs are good and it is just a movie, but I personally don't want to see all of that hippie revolution and flower power dancing in the mix of the Paschal Mystery. Glad I saw it, but i'm never watching it again. I do like the Last Supper scene though. The song is really good, and I thought it was really cool how they put all the actors out like the DaVinci painting and they froze. And they didn't leave out the "This is my body, this is my blood part."

-Jeanne

Well, there is something to be said for erring on the side of caution. If they bother you, then I applaud your wisdom to avoid such things. I know some that were also bothered by the graphic nature of The Passion. There is no rule saying we all have to be alike.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.