Jesus Christ Talk Show 640am in CA

Has anyone heard this guy, Neil Saavedra, who has a talk show on a.m. radio where people call in to talk to Jesus Himself (or rather, Neil pretending to be Jesus)? He's been decsribed by the Religion News Blog as a "a self-trained, unordained minister of the Gospel" and professes to be "The voice of KFI Jesus – a strong, smooth bass – belongs to Neil Saavedra, who does not believe he is the Messiah, yet he assumes the godly persona during a three-hour call-in show that airs Sunday mornings." Saavedra is admittedly non-denominational and often too tired to from his show to even attend services. He claims his servies are his "informed opinion". Informed by what?

Personally, I find it arrogant and a mockery. Self-trained? I find that pretty concerning. :(

Oddly enough I also wonder if there might be a way to do something similar for our Youth Groups, not with Jesus, but perhaps blessed Mother Theresa.

What are your thoughts about this? I'm very curious to hear what others think. Do you think it's helpful or harmful?

I think this is very harmful. We need to be vigilant in discerning about what we see, hear, and do. Immaculate Heart Radio is all over CA (I’m in the Bay Area and its 1260AM); on Sunday morning I listen to Bishop Fulton Sheen while getting ready for Mass.

I used to listen to that show pretty regularly a few years ago. Self-trained or not, I think he has a gift. He delivers a good mix of apologetics and counseling. Of course it would be awesome to hear a Catholic version of this guy, but the content is usually generic enough that it applies to all Christians and he’s just as respectful to Catholic callers as the non-Catholic.

It is disconcerting that he doesn’t make it to church services as much as he’d like, so we should pray for him.

[quote="nina13_p, post:2, topic:183808"]
I think this is very harmful. We need to be vigilant in discerning about what we see, hear, and do. Immaculate Heart Radio is all over CA (I'm in the Bay Area and its 1260AM); on Sunday morning I listen to Bishop Fulton Sheen while getting ready for Mass.

[/quote]

I agree. I think it's harmful. To me it demeans the divinity and makes a mockery of faith, but no doubt others are less opinionated than I am and I am trying to practice keeping an open mind to others' thoughts.

I adore Catholic Radio and Bishop Fulton Sheen. I just happened to be driving my husband's car and this is what the radio was tuned to. I was a bit shocked at what felt like arrogance at the time. After reading about his lack of training, not practicing his faith (whatever it is) and comparing himself to John the Baptist and other holy men? In the same article: “Elijah was suicidal; Isaiah preached naked. These are not perfect people. Job went bankrupt; John the Baptist ate bugs. It wasn’t about perfection. It wasn’t about them not having any flaws. It was about God using them, seeing in them the passion and intensity for the word of God,” KFI Jesus told his audience."

It's just commercialized Christianity to me. :shrug: He is, after all, producer of the show.

There are other opinions out there, though, that I'd love to hear. I can, sometimes, be a bit of a stick-in-the-mud :p

Thanks for the comment, it helps to hear from someone who has listened to him. I still don’t know, though. Perhaps I would feel better if he was an marriage and family therapist or trained in some way to be a counselor and minister, but then my real issue is probably the arrogance of saying “I’m Jesus”. Inconceivable to me. I’m still undecided overall, but leaning toward this being problematic. Can he really be Christ-centered if he’s not really practicing whatever his faith is. What does he draw from? OTOH it would be nice if his show might draw people closer to their faith. (sigh) Good thing I don’t have to figure it all out, eh?

It’s creative, I’ll give him that. and on the bold side, too. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and, yes, we should definitely pray for him.

The *IDEA *of the show --speaking in the 1st person voice of Jesus-- seems rather offensive to me. That said, when I’ve actually listened to Neil Saavedra, (my car radio is frequently tuned to that station) he has always seemed to play his role very respectfully. When he gives advice from a *general *Chrisian perspective it is often very good. I imagine he reaches a certain percentage of the population that might not otherwise be reached with a Christian message.

My biggest concern would not be that he is trying to “be God” but rather would be the same as I have with any non-Catholic Christian radio program: He does not hold with the Catholic understanding of salvation and the sacraments.

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." (Mt 7:15)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.