Jesus coming back too late?

Well, the saturday I was talking with a woman from my lay movement, and she said that a course about Laudato Si was being held in my country and that many entrepeneurs and politicians were attending it, so it seems that (fortunately) it isn’t completely forgotten.

The call of Christ to be a good steward of the world is part of the religious education program at my parish. There are a lot of great resources on how to fulfill your duty as a Catholic to uphold the sanctity of life by advocating for climate change mitigation. A good place to start is the Catholic Climate Covenant https://catholicclimatecovenant.org/

I tell my students that being Catholic is hard because we are not allowed to pick and choose what parts of the faith we can accept and what we can reject. That being said, the church’s view on life is easy and all encompassing. The Pope made the argument, based on scripture that climate change is a life issue. And the two former popes were strong climate change advocates as well. If you believe abortion is wrong yet not give a hoot about climate change, the application of the Catholic faith to your life is not complete. You may be okay with that. A lot of Catholics are that way. Some Catholics are okay with abortion, some dont give a hoot about climate change, some dont go to church, etc. But they all still consider themselves Catholics. We all have our sins. LOL.

Ahh, I see.

But… reunification within the context of recorded history? That’s not quite what the Church teaches, AFAIK. Instead, we’d see that as being a result of the eschaton!

1 Like

I do my part. I don’t dump used oil down storm drains and I try to not create excess trash or throw litter in the street.

The vast and overwhelming majority of the worlds pollution occurs in Africa and Asia, nothing we do here matters until that is addressed.

Huh?

Instead, we’d see that as being a result of the eschaton!

Don’t you think that would be too late?

The Catholic Church is trying to bring about reunification, right now. That is why she is having official discussions with the Lutherans, the Anglicans, the Muslims, the Orthodox and possibly others. The Catholic Church will welcome reunification, the sooner the better, within recorded history and would be quite disappointed if it does not occur until the eschaton.

The biggest carbon polluters per capita are the US, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Canada, & Australia. China’s output per capta is a little less than that of England. Africa is made up of a bunch of countries, none of which come close to the output of European countries.

China has a lot more people so their carbon footprint as a nation is bigger than the rest. But when you look at pollution generated per citizen, they are not even in the top 5. Im not saying China should be left alone on this. They could be doing sooooo much better. Same for the rest of us.

(Ranking from the International Energy Agency)

Not sure what’s confusing you. The Church doesn’t teach that the timing of the eschaton depends on the unification of the Church with all who have left, or even that this must be completed prior to the end of days.

Of course we will. However, that doesn’t mean that this is what Scripture tells us will occur. Might it? Possibly. Must it? Not according to what God has revealed.

That’s not what you said. You questioned the idea that the Church taught that reunification was possible “within” the context of recorded history. See your question above.

Correct. But that’s not what you said originally.

Of course we will.

As soon as possible and within the context of recorded history.

However, that doesn’t mean that this is what Scripture tells us will occur. Might it? Possibly. Must it? Not according to what God has revealed.

I don’t remember mentioning the Scriptures. I am addressing you questioning the idea that the Church teaches that reunification can come about within the context of recorded history.

I believe the Church teaches that reunification is possible and also that she is actively seeking to bring it about as soon as possible and that the idea of “within the context of recorded history” is nowhere in her realm of thought.

“thank god” Laudato Si,… lives on in other parts of the world

sadly in my neck of the woods,… people seem blind to the fact(s) of climate change

do me a favor, kinda curious do people in your area have a basic “scientific” understanding of what causes climate change

there was a study done in my home town and sadly no one was able to correctly answer the question,… what causes climate change

I’ve placed a PDF on GoogleDocs

and started a thread on the topic that discusses details

1 Like

I dont see Canada or Russia leaving that list anytime soon, unless one is advocating they shut off their heaters and die in the winter.

Well, from what I know, the majority of the people here doesn’t understand the mechanism of the greenhouse effect (just like in the rest of the world) but they see the change of temperature and associate it with climate change. Then there are always some that adknowledge it but don’t care, and the ones that accept it just because it’s science (kinda like the only good/neutral side of scientism lol).

We have free will. That also means the Lord will probably not intervene when we (as a species/people) have chosen a poor path to follow…

You can always do what I read way back in a SciFi short story…hang a big sign that reads, “We were here, where were You?” for when he does show.

:roll_eyes:
Is this the point where I simply shrug and say “yeah, De, you’re always right – thanks for helping me understand what I said!”…?

Follow the thread: I was replying to Governator, who was quoting a claim that Christian unification is a necessary part of the end times. (Personally, I’m thinking it’s a mis-citation – we would definitely claim that this happens in the eschaton, not the end times.) So, I was pressing on the claim of the necessity, within recorded history.

If you want to tilt windmills on the “is it possible in our times?” question, you might want to find someone who’s make the opposite claim. I’m not. :wink:

No, I didn’t. But hey… it’s your windmill – tilt to your heart’s content!

I am not an environmentalist, I have no problem with you or millennials. I do think that this statement, which by the way I congratulate you for being honest about, demonstrates the prevalent human short term thinking that has led to things like ocean garbage patches and the well deserved self poisoning that such behavior creates. The human race deserves everything it gets, in terms of climate change consequences.

Cage training for pets is so effective, because we know they won’t use the bathroom in the same space we live in, yet humans, even when they know better, are too lazy or too greedy to do the same thing. We poison the very water we drink, not even caring while we do it.

We also poison, [and I am not attributing this to you or to or to millenials] our minds our kids and so on, with all the filth of our culture. Not enough people give a hoot about that either. I know that you do care by your other posts, but I think what you said about one aspect of what should be part of our daily due diligence is important and germane to this discussion. You will change your mind about what you said, you are young, and I am sure you are a far better Christian than I was at your age, but we should all care, about all of these things.

Earth and our minds are a gift from God to use, not to spoil, not to corrupt. Once I, a terrible sinner and even polluter finally turned back to God, I knew that I would have to dedicate the rest of my life to atonement and penance, at least I hope I can pull that off. We are to strive to become saints, and frankly I don’t give a hoot if anyone thinks that I am being melodramatic.

I apologize repentant2, to load all of that on top of your post :wink: my comments are not directed at you, but at all of us, especially me, a rotten sinner who is trying to help other sinners find their way, and understand what is going on.
pax

1 Like

The best you can expect is a semi acceptable rationalization. O.P

Everyone has been anticipating the second coming since after the Ascension .

Why God/ Jesus, does, or doesn’t do anything is at best speculation which is then rationalized with scripture and then rubber stamped with the generic answer of " Gods love ". The only honest answer to this is , I don’t know.

The Catholic Church does make it extremely hard for people to want to stay. For many reasons, all of which to theologians and church militants fall into a category of " heresy , blasphemy and then blame it on the devil ". Because common sense just doesn’t fit any where in the Church. I know why I choose to stay in the Church, and it isn’t because I " love the Church ". I can’t stand it. It isn’t " refreshing " or a " fountain " or any of that punch happy glossy eyed ooey gooey feeling. It has become a routine for me, like one does basic hygiene. I appreciate the sacraments, I don’t appreciate the homilies, the priests that love to complain about people showing up late yet cant seem to get the peanut gallery to be quiet before during an after mass. Which oddly , in Godless Washington DC, there is more reverence shown at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider and The Vietnam Wall memorial than any Catholic Church I have ever been too. An as horrible as my time was in the military, we actually treated each other better than any clergy or religious i have ever come across. The church is just in a sad state of affairs and has been since at least JPII if not before. An the church isn’t going to change for anyone let alone to make itself better. Yet despite all of Gods efforts to send signals to make changes, those in power still refuse to do anything significant. I don’t give anymore to the church, not financially. Hmph, here is a debate which is worse, a catholic who doesn;t want to be catholic any more and is locked into the church to attend through obligation and punishment of sin if one leaves, or those catholics who are lapsed and choose to leave and just dont care and are better off from leaving.

Keep in mind the only proper answer to that is that Catholic Church is always right, and everyone else is just too stupid to know what is good for them, and then interject " Gods love " some where in there. An then lets just convieniently throw out the obvious problems of Clergy / papacy leadership cannon law, doctrine etc. An then just stick our collective heads in the sand and keep huming how great tho art about how perfect the church is. An what ever one seems to forget about Pope Francis, is that never ending scandal, did not start with him, this was an on going problem he inherited that existed way way before he ever came into any kind of power. An it isn’t the only scandal the church is dealing with.

Alrighty, good times, well for my flagging fans out there yall have fun hyperventilating while ya smash that report / flag button.

Is the Church perfect, no, can it do better , yes, is it the best we got and have to deal with, yes, is God going to swoop in an make things better, no. Why ? no one knows.

I did.

I was replying to Governator, who was quoting a claim that Christian unification is a necessary part of the end times.

I believe he’s quoting a book of fiction. And you didn’t reply that it was not necessary, you questioned that this was what the Catholic Church taught “within the context of recorded history.”

(Personally, I’m thinking it’s a mis-citation – we would definitely claim that this happens in the eschaton, not the end times.) So, I was pressing on the claim of the necessity, within recorded history.

That’s not what it sounded like. But I accept your explanation.

If you want to tilt windmills on the “is it possible in our times?” question, you might want to find someone who’s make the opposite claim. I’m not. :wink:

That’s good. Nor am I.

No, I didn’t. But hey… it’s your windmill – tilt to your heart’s content!

I’ll take your word for it. Sounds as though we’re on the same page on this one.

FWIW I believe a good catholic education imprints a moral compass that can’t be taken away, unlike a material object

what is needed IMHO to solve the biggest challenge that humanity faces, is for students (and basically everyone else) to have a good understanding of basic environmental science

these two traits “faith and science” are necessary to over come “doubt and fear” which are emotions often associated w/ “climate change”

unfortunately these two strong negative emotions are too often reinforced by exploitative actions by those that want to keep the unsustainable status quo

1 Like

Can he stop spamming the thread with climate change the world will be destroyed before we humans have a chance by polluting it…

I read over some of the comments regarding the time of the rapture second coming of Jesus.

The most helpful one is what was write by St Patrick’s vision never herd that before it’s sad all this information is not spread in ireland or very hard to come by…

My country Ireland has been destroyed by deception and unfortunately I can’t seem to understand why God sees the evil that deceives people and lets it happen.

Yes climate change aside, I believe Jesus Christ will come back when we want him to.

We might be at the end of our tether.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.