Jesus Did Not Have Sex!

My family and I were discussing new movies coming out and I expressed my disappointment in the fact that the divnci code is soon to be released (or has already been released?). The subject of Jesus having children came up and one family member, who has really studied the bible, but has no religous affiliation, commented that it’s no big deal to think Christ had sex!! This person also commented that they had discussed this with others who feel the same way. They believe that Jesus was human, so what would be wrong with Him having sex. I disagreed saying He was divine, but the come back was, “He was also human, so it would not affect the way we feel about Christ if we knew He had had sex”.
No one seemed offened by this at all, but I was deeply offended. All I could say was, "No! He did not have sex."
We grew up Catholic, but most are now Baptists. I was out numbered and really had no answer. When I got home and talked to my husband about this it came to me that Christ never sought pleasure for Himself.
Help! What else can I say to defend my Lord??
God Bless!

The bible is pretty firm on the matter that Jesus was not married, and never had children…

I cant believe you had a conversation about this!!

In Him.

Andre.

Since Jesus (as Magicsilence has pointed out) was not married, sex would have been a sin—fornication. Since Jesus was sinless, how could He have committed a sin?

Sexual union between married persons is a kind of hint as to the kind of union—utterly self-giving; ecstatic; complete; and fruitful—we are to have with God. Since Jesus is God, I don’t see the point of what your relatives are saying. They seem to say that there’s nothing wrong with the idea of Him being selfish and pleasing Himself—I would suggest giving your realtives some information on the Theology of the Body: they seem utterly clueless as to the meaning of human sexuality.

[quote=Magicsilence]The bible is pretty firm on the matter that Jesus was not married, and never had children…
[/quote]

Help me out here… Where does the Bible say that?

I mean, I understand that Catholic teaching is set on the matter, and that’s fine, but I don’t remember ever reading in the Bible that Jesus was never married. It’s possible (at least if you just read the biblical text) that He was married and His wife died, yes?

[quote=Penny Plain]Help me out here… Where does the Bible say that?

I mean, I understand that Catholic teaching is set on the matter, and that’s fine, but I don’t remember ever reading in the Bible that Jesus was never married. **It’s possible (*at least if you just read *** the biblical text) that He was married and His wife died, yes?/QUOTE]

Tell us what text implies that Jesus was married and his wife died!!
[/quote]

The Devinci Code is nothing more than the works of Satan.Satans time is coming to an end very soon and he will continue fiercly with his lies and deception.Do not open the door to the devil.Pray that you wont be decieved. :eek: God Bless,

[quote=thistle]Tell us what text implies that Jesus was married and his wife died!!
[/quote]

None. As I recall, the Bible is entirely silent on the subject of what Jesus did between the flight to Egypt and the beginning of His ministry, except for the incident in the Temple.

All I want to know is where the Bible is firm on the matter that Jesus never married and never had children. I know the Bible never mentions marriage and/or children; I also don’t remember it saying definitively that He never married and/or had children. Magicsilence said it was clear on the subject. I wanted to know what I had missed.

[quote=Penny Plain]None. As I recall, the Bible is entirely silent on the subject of what Jesus did between the flight to Egypt and the beginning of His ministry, except for the incident in the Temple.

All I want to know is where the Bible is firm on the matter that Jesus never married and never had children. I know the Bible never mentions marriage and/or children; I also don’t remember it saying definitively that He never married and/or had children. Magicsilence said it was clear on the subject. I wanted to know what I had missed.
[/quote]

Sorry but you referred to biblical text which said its possible he was married which is why I asked for that text. Below is what you said:

It’s possible (at least if you just read the biblical text) that He was married and His wife died, yes

I see from your profile you are a Catholic so this is something you don’t need to ask. Jesus was not married or are you a fan of the Da Vinci Code which basically says because there is nothing in the bible which states Jesus was not married it must mean he was married? These are lies by anti-Catholics!

[quote=Penny Plain]None. As I recall, the Bible is entirely silent on the subject of what Jesus did between the flight to Egypt and the beginning of His ministry, except for the incident in the Temple.

[/quote]

You’re missing the significance of marriage, and what a marriage by Jesus would imply. Marriage is meant to be a total, complete, self-giving, fruitful relationship with one another, a kind of shadow of what the Trinity is and of our eventual union with God. We are to help our spouses reach this union with God, as instruments in His hand, within the sacrament of marriage. So: Jesus’s spouse is going to help Him achieve His salvation and union with Himself----how? Since He doesn’t need help in that direction, what is mutual about the exchange? Wouldn’t Jesus, since He has nothing to gain from such a union, only be married for selfish reasons? Is Jesus selfish? Also, since the Scriptures refer to the Church as the “Bride of Christ”, wouldn’t that be a kind of adultery? One of the many reasons Catholics maintain the Perpetual Virginity of Mary is that she is the spouse of the Holy Spirit. The nuptual language used in Scripture is not to be tossed off so easily.

The Bible doesn’t say that Jesus had a pet parrot named Zarathustra, either. Are we to conclude from this fact that He did?

[quote=thistle]I see from your profile you are a Catholic so this is something you don’t need to ask. Jesus was not married or are you a fan of the Da Vinci Code which basically says because there is nothing in the bible which states Jesus was not married it must mean he was married? These are lies by anti-Catholics!
[/quote]

Thistle, who are you to tell me what I do or don’t need to ask?

Who are you to throw out accusations about a person that you have never met?

Here is my question. If you can help answer it, Thistle, I would appreciate it. I understand that Catholic teaching is that Jesus was never married and never had sex.

However, my recollection is that the Bible is silent on the subject because it basically says nothing about what happened in Jesus’s life between the flight to Egypt and the beginning of His ministry.

All I want to know is the source for Magicsilence’s statement that the Bible is firm on the subject that Jesus never married or had kids. That’s it.

Nothing to do with “DaVinci Code,” Jack Chick, or the Secret Jesuit Conspiracy to Turn the Internet to Satan. Honest. Just a simple question.

So please lighten up.

[quote=Sherlock]The Bible doesn’t say that Jesus had a pet parrot named Zarathustra, either. Are we to conclude from this fact that He did?
[/quote]

Never gave it a lot of thought. I suppose I would conclude that maybe He did, and maybe He didn’t.

I will read your answer as an admission that the Bible never directly states that Jesus did not marry. I certainly don’t believe that He did; I just couldn’t remember anywhere that directly addressed the subject. I was wondering if I was missing something.

Apparently, I wasn’t. Thanks for helping out.

[quote=Penny Plain]Thistle, who are you to tell me what I do or don’t need to ask?

Who are you to throw out accusations about a person that you have never met?

Here is my question. If you can help answer it, Thistle, I would appreciate it. I understand that Catholic teaching is that Jesus was never married and never had sex.

However, my recollection is that the Bible is silent on the subject because it basically says nothing about what happened in Jesus’s life between the flight to Egypt and the beginning of His ministry.

All I want to know is the source for Magicsilence’s statement that the Bible is firm on the subject that Jesus never married or had kids. That’s it.

Nothing to do with “DaVinci Code,” Jack Chick, or the Secret Jesuit Conspiracy to Turn the Internet to Satan. Honest. Just a simple question.

So please lighten up.
[/quote]

What I meant was that NO Catholic (not just you) needs to ask if Jesus was married. It is an accepted Catholic belief that he was not.
The reason I pressed you on the biblical text is because you said that it was possible he was married if you read the biblical text. There is NO text which even implies or hints that was married.

Many try to fill in the Gospel’s gaps of silence regarding aspects of Jesus’ life with inventions. Some are pious reflections; some are self-serving inventions - like the married status of Jesus.

The first thing to do when assessing these ‘additions’ is not to be put in the defensive position of trying to prove it is wrong. First, ask for or pursue the reasoning or proof supporting this invention in the first place.

Most of the time, the ‘proof’ is extremely weak, misunderstood or doesn’t exist.

So regarding Jesus’ being married, I would first ask for the scriptural references that assert this belief. Notice I said ‘assert’, and did not say ‘allude to’ or ‘can also be interpreted as meaning.’

If one is going to make a bold claim, then, first, back it up with some bold support.

Peter Kleine

[quote=thistle]What I meant was that NO Catholic (not just you) needs to ask if Jesus was married. It is an accepted Catholic belief that he was not.
[/quote]

And what I meant was that you have no authority to tell other Catholics what they do or do not need to ask.

I am glad we understand each other so well.

[quote=Penny Plain]Never gave it a lot of thought. I suppose I would conclude that maybe He did, and maybe He didn’t.

I will read your answer as an admission that the Bible never directly states that Jesus did not marry. I certainly don’t believe that He did; I just couldn’t remember anywhere that directly addressed the subject. I was wondering if I was missing something.

Apparently, I wasn’t. Thanks for helping out.
[/quote]

I said that the Bible refers to the Church as the “Bride of Christ”. Nor did you address the theological implications that I raised: since the Bible shows Jesus to be God; and that God is not selfish, why can’t you see that the Bible teaches that Jesus cannot be married, because it would be a purely selfish act? The Bible DOES address this subject, but implicitly by what it tells us about the nature of Jesus, not explicitly. The Bible does not say explicitly that the Trinity exists, nor does it even use the word “Trinity”—do you doubt the Trinity because it isn’t explicitly addressed?

You wrote, regarding Jesus’s owning a pet parrot named Zarathustra: “Never gave it a lot of thought. I suppose I would conclude that maybe He did, and maybe He didn’t.” I guess I’m at a total loss to grasp your mindset. We are given the faculty of reason in order to better grasp reality, and thus the reality of God. My reason tells me that it is not likely that Jesus had a pet parrot named Zarathustra. Apparently your reason cannot come to that conclusion, as it is reliant upon whether or not something is explicitly written down in a book.

[quote=Penny Plain]And what I meant was that you have no authority to tell other Catholics what they do or do not need to ask.

I am glad we understand each other so well.
[/quote]

Okay we know that we can both ask anything we want. Point taken. This is a forum after all. Maybe the way I asked the question could have been put more diplomatically.
Nevertheless I am still curious as to why any Catholic would ask if Jesus was married or not when it is an accepted Catholic belief.

[quote=thistle]Okay we know that we can both ask anything we want. Point taken. This is a forum after all. Maybe the way I asked the question could have been put more diplomatically.
Nevertheless I am still curious as to why any Catholic would ask if Jesus was married or not when it is an accepted Catholic belief.
[/quote]

I knew I liked you. :slight_smile:

Maybe the Catholic didn’t know and was hoping to find out by asking a community of fellow believers?

[quote=Penny Plain]I knew I liked you. :slight_smile:

Maybe the Catholic didn’t know and was hoping to find out by asking a community of fellow believers?
[/quote]

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote=Sherlock]I said that the Bible refers to the Church as the “Bride of Christ”. Nor did you address the theological implications that I raised: since the Bible shows Jesus to be God; and that God is not selfish, why can’t you see that the Bible teaches that Jesus cannot be married, because it would be a purely selfish (indeed exploitive) act? The Bible DOES address this subject, but implicitly by what it tells us about the nature of Jesus, not explicitly. The Bible does not say explicitly that the Trinity exists, nor does it even use the word “Trinity”—do you doubt the Trinity because it isn’t explicitly addressed?

You wrote, regarding Jesus’s owning a pet parrot named Zarathustra: “Never gave it a lot of thought. I suppose I would conclude that maybe He did, and maybe He didn’t.” I guess I’m at a total loss to grasp your mindset. We are given the faculty of reason in order to better grasp reality, and thus the reality of God. My reason tells me that it is not likely that Jesus had a pet parrot named Zarathustra. Apparently your reason cannot come to that conclusion, as it is reliant upon whether or not something is explicitly written down in a book.
[/quote]

Are you saying I should give a lot of thought to the question of Jesus’s owning a pet parrot named Zarathustra? I never viewed it as a particularly important question, to be honest, but I’ll put it on my list.

Sherlock, you’re missing the point. Really. Here is my mindset: One poster wrote that the Bible definitively states that Jesus wasn’t married. I didn’t remember seeing that, so I asked where it was stated.

You gave me an answer that showed “implicitly” (I’m quoting you, here) that He wasn’t. That’s fine. I have no doubt that it admirably mirrors Church teaching on the subject, and I do not dispute a word of it. But it wasn’t what I was talking about. I was looking for the “definitive statement.”

[This may be the point where you argue that an implicit answer can still be definitive. I concede; you win because you understand my question better than I do and care about it more than I do.]

I do thank you for your critique of my facility of reason. I will certainly give it the attention it merits. Try a little charity, though. Perhaps I am simply not as informed as you are on the ornithology of the middle east 2000 years ago, or on the pet-keeping habits of working-class Jewish families, or, for that matter, whether they tended to name pets after Zoroastrian prophets.

Please enlighten the class.

Yes, Mr. Cleese, you have a question?

[quote=Penny Plain] I understand that Catholic teaching is set on the matter, and that’s fine, but I don’t remember ever reading in the Bible that Jesus was never married.

[/quote]

How about where Jesus speaks about marriage? Matthew chapter 19

[quote=DRBO.org] Mt 19: Christ declares matrimony to be indissoluble: he recommends the making one’s self an eunuch for the kingdom of heaven; and parting with all things for him.
[/quote]

Are we to think He is asking us to forgo marriage for Him but He would be married?

[quote=DRBO.org] Mt 19,1 And it came to pass when Jesus had ended these words, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judea, beyond Jordan. 2 And great multitudes followed him: and he healed them there. 3 And there came to him the Pharisees tempting him, and saying: Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?
[/quote]

[quote=DRBO.org] 4 Who answering, said to them: Have ye not read, that he who made man from the beginning, Made them male and female? And he said: 5 For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife, and they two shall be in one flesh.
[/quote]

Was the Son of God created? How could He leave His Father and cleave to His wife?

[quote=DRBO.org] 6 Therefore now they are not two, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder.
[/quote]

He would have to reject His Father to accept His wife, didn’t happen.

[quote=DRBO.org] 10 His disciples say unto him: If the case of a man with his wife be so, it is not expedient to marry. 11 Who said to them: All men take not this word, but they to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs, who were born so from their mother’s womb: and there are eunuchs, who were made so by men: and there are eunuchs, who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He that can take, let him take it.
[/quote]

Could Jesus not “take this”. It’s a silly idea that He was married.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.