Jesus did you know that they wrote a song praising your Glory by profaning the fully committed and courageous actions of your mother?

For a couple years the maudlin crooners have been pushing this song into the liturgical circles of my Archdiocese especially sung during Marian feast days like Jan. 1

A sappy guitar melody, well produced but the lyrics just make my skin crawl especially when I know they are written by a Liberty University graduate that probably cut his teeth on the anti-Marian rhetoric so common in the evangelical communities. We don’t have to praise the glory of Jesus by suggesting that Mary was not a knowledgeable and fully aware of her mission. This ridiculous modern attempt to pretend that Mary and others were just as clueless about their faith as people of the 21st century is facile.

Line by line I am looking to make a summary of the scriptural and doctrinal problems with this song.

First off we know the premise of the song is false in that of course she knew. Duh the Angel of the Lord her that he was going to be the mother of the Almighty. Every Biblical verse about the messiah that every Jew would prayer aloud was known to her and as such the whole song seems to be an attempt to profane the dignity of her fiat to the level of those who simply can’t imagine living a life consecrated to the Lord.

So to beg the question is of course she knew why are you asking. However do we have prophetic passages about the Miracles that are sung or is there evidence to suggest that of course these would be reasonable conclusions that the mother of Christ would have expected based on OT scripture.

I throw it out to the community to see if you can help me to find all the messianic predications or doctrines that would contradict the intent or implication of each verse of this song.

My hope is to have a PDF ready to send to the next person who sends me an email saying that this song captures the true meaning of Christmas again. Normally the reply I give to these type of emails is “Gloria in Excelsis Deo” or simply the real song sung by true Angels on Christmas.

Pax

andiesisle.com/didsheknow.html

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day walk on water?

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?

Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?

This child that you’ve delivered
Will soon deliver you

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will calm a storm with His hand?

Did you know
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?

And when you kiss your little baby
You’ve kissed the face of God

The blind will see
The deaf will hear
The dead will live again
The lame will leap
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy is Lord of all creation?

Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?

Did you know
That your baby boy is heaven’s perfect Lamb?

This sleeping child you’re holding is the Great I Am

Do a search here. This has been discussed and argued ad nauseum on these forums over the years.

Next.

I agree.

But I’d miss the annual trashing of “Mary did you know?”. :smiley:

Actually, we can do without yet another argument about it.

Next.

I have seen the near yearly - reviews about whether the song is good or bad.

But that is not the point of this thread. It is simply assumed that thesong is flawed and I am not asking for music reviews but a line by line scriptural exegesis by those who wish to undertake the task with me. If thats not you then okay but if you want to help then more the better.

I don’t want arguments about Mary or a a trashing of the song I just want people to explore the OT prophecy and Catholic doctrine.

So if you want to give a snappy quip about how it is only a song or some such thing start a different thread.

Pax

There have been annual theological picking apart of this song already. Keep searching, they’re there. :slight_smile:

The only lyrics I found questionable were

"Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?

This child that you’ve delivered
Will soon deliver you."

As this implies that Mary had not yet been redeemed, when we all know that she was redeemed at the very moment of her creation. :smiley: (immaculate conception)

Other than this, as I Catholic I just hear a bunch of rhetorical questions - easily answered with a YES!, although these lyrics have a tiny issue :stuck_out_tongue:

“Did you know
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?”

How could Baby Jesus have walked with the angels? Until His birth as Mary’s son, He didn’t have feet! :wink: (and as early as 6 months before his birth too!)

For Old Testament passages, look at my signature - learning about Bathsheba’s role in foreshadowing Mary blew my mind!

Relax, this is not a credo, it’s a popular, religious song and should be viewed as such.

I can’t see the problem with it. It presents the Blessed Virgin at a time just after the birth of the baby Jesus (which is commemorated at this season in the Litugical Calendar). She is not presented as dumb or clueless. She really would not have known all those details as she sat there nursing her new-born baby.

Our Lady was often surprised at what people predicted or said about her son, for example: the shepherds at Bethlehem, the Magi, St Simon at the Presentation, Jesus when he was found at the Temple when he was 12 years old (when his parents didn’t understand his reference to his Father’s house).

I think the words are inspiring because they summarise the things Jesus did on earth and the things which are yet to happen, useful especially for the young. It’s not theologically incorrect.

:hmmm:

Relax its not the creed—Really!

See that is not the point of this thread

Look It is clear that you feel the song is okay, fine, don’t contribute. If there is anyone out there who like to engage in what I think is a valuable exercise of apologetics, scripture study and doctrinal understanding then please contribute.

For example in the first verse It asks if Mary would have known that God would walk on water. I think there are examples of God walking on water from the OT such as Job 9 as well as from the doctrinal understandings of the heavens of the her time that a solid yes could be answered to that question. Mary who knew that her son was the Lord, had, could and would walk on water. She would not have been surprised. As a matter of fact a really unexpected theological moment was that Peter could walk on water. To my knowledge no other mere mortal no matter how much faith they had in God could ever do such a thing. ( do I have to say in the summer and not on ice)

I am hoping others might be a able to help me find more passages that describe God and the seas or walking on water and so on through all the verses. If you don’t like the exercise go to another thread.

But please don’t clutter it with random filkchizzeal.

Pax

I have always seen the song as OUR surprise at all the wondrous deeds that Christ did, and a way to sing His praises for the great things He did. The writer isn’t REALLY asking if Mary knew these things. He’s telling the story of Christ through our eyes, the eyes of the amazed. IMO we often overlook how wondrous and miraculous His deeds were. And when you stop and think that Mary, a mere human like any of us, was privileged to see those things in first person at His side, it is an awesome thing to contemplate.

It doesn’t matter if it’s scripturally or apologetically or catholic dogmatically correct. It’s an expression of wonder and love for Christ. Why would you bother arguing against it and wasting your time?

I like the song. It’s beautiful.

Got it you like the song ---- not the point of thread and not wanting to make it personal about your feelings or your sense of beauty. But the author did say it is about Mary and what she didn’t know about salvation and not did she know that she loved her baby

To speak of love of Christ without mentioning the Eucharist or the Cross is a secondary problem with this song. Even the evangelists knew that Christ was wrapped in swaddling clothes and given myrrh.

Pax

andiesisle.com/didsheknow.html

if the song is the one referenced by the link, imho it has no theological or moral problems in itself. We praise God usually through His creatures, and praise Him through Mary is appropriate. I see no profanation in this song at all.

There is a generic problem about the songs which should have been approved by the Apostolic See, and usually they are not

So when the composer begs the question over and over again that Mary did you know your role or the role of the Christ what would you say her answer was?

The passive and uninformed voice given to Mary is offensive as it simply is untrue and as such it is immoral. Scripture never portrays her as not knowing her role as the mother of God . The whole song is a theological denial of just about everything we know about Marian Theology.

Mary is not like us, she was born without sin, and to refashion her to be flawed like us is to profane Her and God. But Liberty university graduates don’t really believe anything about Mary beyond she was a innocent young girl. Oh yeah and that is the line he is selling and not the truth about Mary or Christ.

Pax

I personally like the song, but I always recognized it as being from a Protestant point of view and not a Catholic point of view. So the fact that the OP mentioned that people within his archdiocese is pushing for the song to be included in the liturgy, no matter how I personally feel about the song, would greatly trouble me.

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, there are too many uncatechized Catholics who DO look at this kind of medium as instruction. Especially if it is sung at mass.

Yeah, if we’re talking about whether or not this is a proper song for the liturgy, I’d think not as well.

So any song that does not mention the Eucharist or the Cross is problematic?

That’s a huge point…this song is not a theological treatise and should not be treated as one.

No, it’s not. A rhetorical question emphasizes the answer by asking the question.

Mary is not like us, she was born without sin, and to refashion her to be flawed like us is to profane Her and God.

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Lack of perfect knowledge is NOT a flaw, much less a sin. It is the natural condition of human beings - even before the Fall.

Mary IS like us. (For that matter, JESUS is like us in all things but sin - Hebrews 4:15). But unlike Jesus, Mary is fully human and not at all divine. She is without sin, but she was not omniscient. She did not, could not know what Jesus would be or would do. She accepted, in perfect faith, the impossible message of the angel, and assented to her role in that message. There is NOTHING in the Scripture to suggest that she understood it, and several things to suggest that she did not. In this as in all things, she is our model - accepting in faith and obedient to that which she cannot understand.

Lack of omniscience is not a flaw or a sin! This is the error of those Protestants who cite Mark 3:21 as evidence that Mary could not have been immaculately conceived. It’s not sinful that she didn’t know what He would do, or if He might be malnourished or confused, or even that He was True God and True Man. She was human, not divine. She knew what was revealed to her, which was that her Son would be “Emmanuel” “God with Us” and “Son of the Most High God.” She did not know what that would mean. Eve was created without sin, she was’t omniscient. Mary is the new Eve - redeemed by the Blood of Jesus in view of her fiat, her faith, preserved from sin - but entirely human and so limited in time, space, and yes, comprehension.

Ironically, it is heresy to divinize Mary - more serious than to deny her Immaculate Conception, given the hierarchy of Truths. I am not suggesting that the OP has fallen into that, but hope to point out the importance of recognizing the very real humanity of our Blessed Mother.

I can surmise that Our Mother Mary was well guided by the Holy Spirit, and taught many things by Jesus,however, I cannot know all that she knew.

Not sure why this song bugs you so much, but here are some passages from Scripture that you may want to meditate on (there are many others not mentioned here that pertain to the same subject)

Ps 89:25 I will place his hand over the sea, his right hand over the rivers.

Ex 14:27 So Moses extended his hand toward the sea, and the sea returned to its normal state… (Moses was a ‘type’ of Jesus, Jesus is the new, or true Moses)

Luke 1:15 The angel replied, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be holy; he will be called the Son of God.(he was speaking to her)

Luke 1:47-48 "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed(she replied).

Dan 4:34 …I extolled the Most High,and I praised and glorified the one who lives forever.For his authority is an everlasting authority, and his kingdom extends from one generation to the next.

Ps 17:7 Accomplish awesome, faithful deeds, you who powerfully deliver those who look to you for protection from their enemies.

Hab 3:18 I will rejoice because of the Lord; I will be happy because of the God who delivers me!

Ps 65:5 You answer our prayers by performing awesome acts of deliverance, O God, our savior.

Isaiah 35:5-6 Then blind eyes will open, deaf ears will hear. Then the lame will leap like a deer,the mute tongue will shout for joy;for water will flow in the desert, streams in the wilderness.

Ps 68:20 Our God is a God who delivers; the Lord, the sovereign Lord, can rescue from death.

Jn1:1-3 He was in the beginning with God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to bethrough him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; (what prayers must she have prayed with St.John!)

Jn 1:29The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. (JMHO, but I think Our Blessed Mother was there and heard John-she certainly heard about this for years after when listening to the other preach the good news)

Isa 43:11 I, I am the Lord, and there is no deliverer besides me.

Isa 45:15 Yes, you are a God who keeps hidden, O God of Israel, deliverer!

Hos 13:4 But I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt. Therefore, you must not acknowledge any God but me; except me there is no Savior.

We should keep in mind the name of the song is “Mary, did you know?”, not “Mary didn’t know”.

The questions in the song are rhetorical, methinks, asked from the POV of someone who doesn’t fully comprehend how Mary could have dealt with being the mother of God. Pretty reasonable questions if looked at from that angle.

Seriously, can any of really understand how a human mother could become the mother of God? If so, you must be “Gnostic-al”. The rest of us take it as a matter of faith that it happened, but nobody can adequately explain it. The author of the song is reflecting our inability to comprehend one of our faith’s greatest mysteries.

:wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.