Jesus didn't say eat pork.

If pork harms the human body, then shouldn’t people stop eating it, please read this scientific article:

Nov. 24, 2008: “We’ve got a lot more of cases of this in the United States now,” said Raymond Kuhn, professor of biology and an expert on parasites at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C. “Upwards of 20 percent of neurology offices in California have seen it.”

The pork tapeworm has plagued people for thousands of years. The parasite, known as cysticercosis, lives in pork tissue, and is likely the reason why Jewish and Muslim dietary laws ban pork.

Kuhn said whether you get a tapeworm in the intestine, or a worm burrowing into your brain can depend on how you consumed the parasite.

More here:
youtube.com/watch?v=ydz9XCam-ME
youtube.com/watch?v=arjMIhl3Jn4

Did read the whole article? You could eat ANYTHING and get infected…not just pork

There is no reason to single out pork. Parasites are present in all meats. Are you suggesting we should all become vegetarians?

Besides, if properly cooked, there is no danger of parasites.

Can’t remember the passage, but in a dream, God told St. Peter (after he fussed about nothing “unclean” entering his mouth) that NOTHING He created was bad and that it was all good. (major paraphrasing I know).

There was Once a time, before refrigeration, when there was a real danger in eating undercooked pork products, but that simply is not the case anymore, least not in my kitchen.

There are parasites in lots of different meats and seafoods. I majored in biology, and one of my favorite classes was parasitology. I’m not a big meat eater, but I do love pork and it is perfectly safe to eat as long as you cook it properly (no, you don’t have to cook it till it’s dry and stringy). Just be prudent and sensible and you will be fine.

First, pork does not harm the human body. It is the parasite that a person consumes from undercooked meat and/or food contaminated with fecal matter from people who do not properly wash their hands before handling food which harms the body.
Second, your quote comes from a network news story, not a scientific article.

Third, since Jesus did actually give permission to eat ALL foods He would not have to single out pork in particular.

I’ve often come across people who like to abstain from pork or some other food product. They seem to do so because they have some desire to follow Old Testament food laws and such. First of all, there are over 600 different commandments in the Old Testament books, all of which any “dutiful” Jew at the time would have been obliged to follow. They didn’t have the luxury of choosing just one (in this case Pork) that they felt for some reason they were to follow. The other people who have posted here are correct and have excellent points about the biblical justifications for allowing the consumption of pork. Can I ask why you feel the need to exclude just pork? The Jews of the OT and of modern times abstain from much more than just pork… have you had shrimp lately? That was off the menu for devout Jews. How about non-kosher beef? Better start buying the Hebrew National hot dogs buddy. Get your meat from a Kosher butcher too… animals must be butchered in a certain way and under the observation of a Rabbi. Vegetables had to be washed to ensure that no insects were present, because insects were strictly forbidden. Cheeseburgers anyone? Nope! Devout Jews believe that mixing dairy and beef products is sinful and in violation of the food laws. There are also a host of other laws found in the Bible… from clothing, to livestock, to menstrual cycles… you name it, it’s there… and yes, Pork is one of the foods off of the menu for sure. Now, I’m not saying that all Jews today follow all of these restrictions, but some certainly do to varying degrees–especially the Orthodox. Now please don’t get me wrong… I am not here to poke fun at Jews and the food restrictions they follow. I do mean, however, to expose a rediculous notion that Christians can pick and choose some of these food restrictions for silly reasons. Jews don’t observe the foood laws to keep themselves free from parasites (although that certainly is an added benefit)… they do so out of obedience to God–and this is to be admired, not made fun of. I have the utmost respect for them. I feel passionate about this subject because of the experiences of my wife’s friend who was engaged to a man (non-catholic christian) who decided to pick and choose some food laws to follow. What this became was one of many vehicles to restrict and control his fiance’s life. That is all I have ever seen it used as amongst non-Jews and Christians. We simply don’t have the tradition that the Jews have with the laws to fully appreciate what they mean. Perhaps this is why is was de-emphasised in the New Testiment (such as the dream that was mentioned in the post above… as the bible says “what God has made clean, you are not to call Profane”. Re-read Acts Ch. 11.:wink:

usccb.org/nab/bible/acts/acts11.htm

:wink: jmcrcia,

Thank you for pointing out the scripture verse in Acts…My brain shut down when I was typing my post and for the life of me, I could not remember.:stuck_out_tongue:

Pork is one of the most delicious benefits of Christian liberty. When I remember, I thank God for the vision he gave to St. Peter and for the book of Romans every time I eat barbecue. :slight_smile:

Jesus didn’t say eat pork.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ according to St. Mark 7:14-19 (RSV-CE)

And he called the people to him again, and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: there is nothing outside a man which by going into him can defile him; but the things which come out of a man are what defile him.”

And when he had entered the house, and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a man from outside cannot defile him, since it enters, not his heart but his stomach, and so passes on?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

Hmmm…I didn’t read the article because my tastebuds already tell me that there are vastly superior meats out there (sorry, pork lovers). Why have pork when you can have steak? Or chicken? Or beefalo? (I really should have tried that when I had the chance! :()

And if people want to follow that specific law from the Old Testament, more power to them! I think it’s a silly argument to make that they shouldn’t do that just because there are other laws that they probably won’t follow. Maybe that one law has special significance to them, so they follow it even though they don’t technically “have to”? What’s wrong with that?

You think chicken is better than pork? Have you ever been south of the Mason Dixon line? :wink:

Of course! Before I thought better of it, that very post ended with me extolling the virtues of alligator…no need to guess that I spent some of my formative teenage summers with relatives in Louisiana! You don’t develop a taste for alligator and crayfish by staying in California your whole life. :smiley:

(Still not a fan of pork.)

Why?

I’ve seen a growing trend of people following the OT food restrictions. This in and of it’s self is not a problem… what emanates from the people, in the form of a holier-than-thou attitude, is the problem. Because they decide to abstain from Pork, for example, they insist that others do so as well and judge them for not doing so. They justify their food preferences (which is really what we are talking about here) by using scripture and (what they deem to be) religion and guilt people for being “less faithful” than they are. You don’t want to eat pork chops?.. Great! I hate pork chops myself… but I’m not going to mix religious guilt up with it when my Wife and I go grocery shopping. I just worry that someones preference may become an unnecessary restriction imposed on themselves or others.

That is the way we were made.

Go to a feed mill and look for the Drano. You’ll find that they have very large cans. I was wondering why did they make such a large can? So, I took one down off the shelf and read the instructions on the back–how to flush out a pig!

I used to love pork chops! I could eat 4-6 in a meal easy!

Oh, I beg to differ! God did not create humans with these fabulous, flesh-tearing teeth to eat lettuce. We are made to eat a large variety of food.

EDIT - What in the world does Jesus have to do with this anyway? Jesus didn’t say a lot of things!

I did not fight my way to the top of the food cahin to eat “textured protien soy product” or “tofurkey”!

In all seriousness, we need to eat meat to get all the amino acids necessary for protein synthesis. There is also evidence to suggest that the energy provided by meat in the form of fat is needed to fuel our energy sucking brains.

Er…okay. I think you and I have the same view on this issue. I was just saying that if other people want to keep the old law, even though it is not strictly necessary to do so anymore, I don’t see how it is hurting anyone else, especially if the person who is keeping it is doing so for their own personal reasons, rather than the sort of motivation you are talking about in your reply. I don’t think anyone is a better/worse Christian based on what they eat, and I don’t think that is the point of this thread (though I could be wrong).

In the OPs case, it is important to remember that he is coming from the Muslim tradition, which still hold certain foods to be ritually/ceremonially unclean. In my view, it would be wrong to admonish him or anyone else in a similar situation for keeping the law they have always kept when we are not commanded to break that law in order to “prove” our Christianity any more than we are commanded to keep it for the same reason.

First I doubt it was a tapeworm.
Second that is why you cook everything well done
Third
This has a different story and it is funny.

We have molars for grinding. Your teeth are not like a dog or cat for ripping flesh.

Genesis 1:29 29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

I didn’t say anything about Jesus.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.