Jesus' DNA

so mary was his mother. God is the father. 1/2 DNA comes from mom, 1/2 from dad. So what is God’s DNA then? is god’s half of the DNA and genome PERFECT?

if god created the other half of jesus’ DNA, how would you account for the fact that the 2nd law of thermodynamics explicitly prohibits random assembly of molecules into ordered structures on their own.

would God violate his own laws of physics?

if jesus’ DNA was perfect, would he have developed parkinsons, cancer, gotten some disease had he not been crucified until say his late 80’s?

if he had perfect DNA, did his body have amazing abilities to heal and accept trauma? i.e. if we “somehow” got a hold of his DNA could we use it to develop genetic therapies to heal the deathly ill?

was it his wounds that killed him, or just his willingness to let his spirit (of the trinity) go from his body? i.e., could they have wounded him over and over and over and he could have remained alive until HE decided to die?

finally, where did the matter and mass of his body go? remember, matter cannot be created nor destroyed.

and yes i ask the TOUGH questions. haha.

Well, have you ever read about the Eucharistic miracles (where the host not only changes substantially, but it’s appearance becomes flesh and blood too, some the Host just bleeds)? They have doen tests on them and the DNA helixes are supposedly extra tight–like no other human DNA (the DNA code is still human). Don’t know what that means, but it’s interesting. By the way, all the Blood from all these miracles (as well as that on the Shroud of Turin) is AB.

If you do a search, there were actually a couple threads about cloning Jesus.

Sorry if I wasn’t any more help.

as far as DNA goes…just ask yourself this question…who created DNA? God did. We are talking about a being that created the universe, if he wishes to break the laws of physics, why can’t he? He is GOd for goodness sake.

i read a saying once and i find it quite funny…

…And jesus returned from death on earth and said to God, “SILICON based life forms and CARBON based computer chips is how i wanted it, but you just had to have it the other way around”

i guess being a scientist i find the humor and irony in our bodies and physiology.

[quote=BioCatholic]i i guess being a scientist i find the humor and irony in our bodies and physiology.
[/quote]

Are two different people on your forum name? I thought that you were a police officer.

There would be only DNA from Mary. The Holy Spirit has no DNA.

This is not covered either by scripture or tradition. It’s probably one of those things like Jesus’ childhood, that is NOOB. (None of our business.)

i am a graduate student, but i make “ends meet” by side work as a paramedic and volunteer as a police officer. getting 16,500 a year graduate stipend does NOT pay the rent, so i work in public safety. (i got my AA in EMS\law enforcement before i got my bachelors in biology)

Ok, I’ll make a quick stab at it.

[quote=BioCatholic]so mary was his mother. God is the father. 1/2 DNA comes from mom, 1/2 from dad. So what is God’s DNA then? is god’s half of the DNA and genome PERFECT? For the purpose of your game, lets say yes since it don’t matter eitherway.

if god created the other half of jesus’ DNA, how would you account for the fact that the 2nd law of thermodynamics explicitly prohibits random assembly of molecules into ordered structures on their own.

Certainly, if he can make such a law, he can break it yes.

if jesus’ DNA was perfect, would he have developed parkinsons, cancer, gotten some disease had he not been crucified until say his late 80’s? From your premise above, only the male half is perfect. So he could have gotten diseases

if he had perfect DNA, did his body have amazing abilities to heal and accept trauma? i.e. if we “somehow” got a hold of his DNA could we use it to develop genetic therapies to heal the deathly ill? Same has above

was it his wounds that killed him, or just his willingness to let his spirit (of the trinity) go from his body? i.e., could they have wounded him over and over and over and he could have remained alive until HE decided to die? He died has a human and is suffering was real. Therein lies the sacrifice. The fanciful notion that he may have suffered has long he wanted is grotesque.

finally, where did the matter and mass of his body go? remember, matter cannot be created nor destroyed.
Again, the legislator can break is own law.

[/quote]

[quote=BioCatholic]so mary was his mother. God is the father. 1/2 DNA comes from mom, 1/2 from dad. So what is God’s DNA then? is god’s half of the DNA and genome PERFECT? If it were appropriate or fitting for it to be so (like the virgin birth) it would be so, God would spare no effort on his son.

if god created the other half of jesus’ DNA, how would you account for the fact that the 2nd law of thermodynamics explicitly prohibits random assembly of molecules into ordered structures on their own. This was within Mary’s body, He could have rearranged the DNA of one of her cells and inserted it into an egg, like they do for cloning. Or more likly, the DNA did come from nothing. God created the universe and everything in in out of nothing, and as catholics we belive creation is an ongoing act of God. so Screw thermodynamics, Omnipotence wins.

In this case, quite possibly. He chooses to obey his own law, and he could choose to disobey it if he wished.

if jesus’ DNA was perfect, would he have developed parkinsons, cancer, gotten some disease had he not been crucified until say his late 80’s? It was a mortal body and unless it was propped up by grace, it would eventually run down. Jesus’ body was made in a fallen world it did not posess the preternatural gifts of Adam.

if he had perfect DNA, did his body have amazing abilities to heal and accept trauma? i.e. if we “somehow” got a hold of his DNA could we use it to develop genetic therapies to heal the deathly ill? I dont belive so. Im not even sure if Jesus never got sick, he was in a fallen world and (as evidenced by the ability of dying) likly did not posess the preternatural gifts of adam.

was it his wounds that killed him, or just his willingness to let his spirit (of the trinity) go from his body? i.e., could they have wounded him over and over and over and he could have remained alive until HE decided to die? Physically he was killed because he had a mortal body.

finally, where did the matter and mass of his body go? remember, matter cannot be created nor destroyed. Yea, but matter can be changed, ie converted into energy right (like in an atomic blast)? Could the process be reversed? Jesus’ body still exists as does Mary’s as a physical body, because that would make them complete (body+soul is full human). the matter of Jesus’ body then probably was moved into heaven in the form of energy and reassembled. or maybe im an idiot and need to take physics again.

[/quote]

I have nothing against scientific iquiry and expanding knowlege but always remember that y definintion faith is above reason even though the two are harmonious in nature, coming from the same God. Do not fall into the materialisty rut that if we cant understand it it cannot be, because God knows a whole heck of a lot more about teh design and function of the universe than we do.

i saw a movie once about jesus’ DNA

the plot was that scientists somehow got a hold of Jesus’ DNA and then cloned him in the lab. And thus, this was how the Messiah made his Second Coming–through cloning!

interesting huh?

[quote=BioCatholic]so mary was his mother. God is the father. 1/2 DNA comes from mom, 1/2 from dad. So what is God’s DNA then? is god’s half of the DNA and genome PERFECT?
[/quote]

Don’t be a wise guy, God doesn’t have DNA

[quote=BioCatholic]if god created the other half of jesus’ DNA, how would you account for the fact that the 2nd law of thermodynamics explicitly prohibits random assembly of molecules into ordered structures on their own.
[/quote]

Why do people continually make a hash of the 2nd law?  The anti-evolutionist pull this stuff too.  It drives me batty.:banghead:

Less random, more orderly structures are perfectly permissible under the 2nd law provided that work is done on the system.

[quote=BioCatholic]….would God violate his own laws of physics?
[/quote]

Probably not as a matter of policy but one of the benefits of being God is that you can …play God.

By definition supernatural events can’t be explained with natural mechanisms then obviously God is not bound by physical laws

[quote=BioCatholic]…………finally, where did the matter and mass of his body go?
[/quote]

…and unto dust you shall return

[quote=BioCatholic]remember, matter cannot be created nor destroyed.
[/quote]

no? ever hear about nuclear reactions?

[quote=BioCatholic]and yes i ask the TOUGH questions. haha.
[/quote]

You do?;)

[quote=BioCatholic]finally, where did the matter and mass of his body go? remember, matter cannot be created nor destroyed.
[/quote]

Well, last time I checked, God created matter:cool: . And the matter of Jesus’ body wasn’t destroyed, it went to Heaven in a glorified state, just as the bodies of Enoch, Elijah, Moses, and Mary.:thumbsup:

This is why we call it the Mystery of the Incarnation.If he created the world out of nothing, then he can create DNA out of nothing. Remember God is all powerful and almighty. Jesus said with men it is impossible but all things are possible with God. Some things just arent meant to be understood yet.

[quote=Steve Andersen]…and unto dust you shall return

[/quote]

that is of course if you are asking about the stuff He sloughed off durring His lifetime

If you are asking about the body as a whole after the Resurrection…there’s a story to that

Well, you do not ask the tough questions but rather the ridiculous.

God can do anything, therefore one should not try and apply our known laws to the creation, life, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus Christ.

[quote=BioCatholic]so mary was his mother. God is the father. 1/2 DNA comes from mom, 1/2 from dad. So what is God’s DNA then? is god’s half of the DNA and genome PERFECT?

if jesus’ DNA was perfect, would he have developed parkinsons, cancer, gotten some disease had he not been crucified until say his late 80’s?

if he had perfect DNA, did his body have amazing abilities to heal and accept trauma? i.e. if we “somehow” got a hold of his DNA could we use it to develop genetic therapies to heal the deathly ill?

was it his wounds that killed him, or just his willingness to let his spirit (of the trinity) go from his body? i.e., could they have wounded him over and over and over and he could have remained alive until HE decided to die?

[/quote]

Have FAITH. God can and does do ANYTHING.

“Pride goeth before disaster and a haughty spirit before a fall.”

Proverbs 16:18

[quote=JimG]There would be only DNA from Mary. The Holy Spirit has no DNA.

This is not covered either by scripture or tradition. It’s probably one of those things like Jesus’ childhood, that is NOOB. (None of our business.)
[/quote]

If all of his DNA came from Mary, Jesus would be a twin/clone of Mary. He must have gotten an X chromosome from somewhere. I don’t see why half of the genetic code could not have been created ex nihilo by God. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, but we should remember that all the Persons of the Trinity are active in the Incarnation. I don’t think it a good idea to think of the Holy Spirit as the “spouse” of Mary – the miracle of the Incarnation was not at all like a normal conception.

Concervation of mass/energy is not an empirical conclusion, but a first principle for conduncting empirical investigations. We cannot possibly monitor the whole universe to observe that mass/energy is never created or destroyed, but we assume that the net mass/energy of our experiments are zero, so we can postulate where unaccounted for values go.

Most of the time, mass/energy does zero out, but exceptions can occur (if the universe is not a closed system). With God’s active role in it, it is not closed.

[quote=Genesis315]Well, have you ever read about the Eucharistic miracles (where the host not only changes substantially, but it’s appearance becomes flesh and blood too, some the Host just bleeds)? They have doen tests on them and the DNA helixes are supposedly extra tight–like no other human DNA (the DNA code is still human). Don’t know what that means, but it’s interesting. By the way, all the Blood from all these miracles (as well as that on the Shroud of Turin) is AB.

If you do a search, there were actually a couple threads about cloning Jesus.

Sorry if I wasn’t any more help.
[/quote]

In these DNA tests, were all the samples identical. … ie from the various Eucharistic miracles. Is there some web site or reports that are available online ?

Some are hundreds of years apart. I would think it would be essential to the veracity of each that all the samples have the same genetic code and properties.

God can do whatever He wills.

I would rather just stick to speculating what **will **be my own demise? Or should I? What do you think? Should you just stick to speculating on your own demise?

Have you been watching the Sci-Fi channel too much lately?

Jesus’ agony in the garden foreshadowed the pain he knew he would endure. He sacrificed all for us. We must sacrifice all for Him. He has shown us how.

Do you remember why we celebrate Ascension Thursday? So many people do not understand Ascension Thursday. :crying:

[font=Arial]St. Bernard of Clairvaux speaks well about Jesus’ Ascension into heaven in Sermon II for the Ascension.

[/font][left]Glorious and gladsome is the present solemnity which gives to Christ such special honor and to us such special joy.

It is indeed the crown and the perfection of all the other festivities of the year, and brings to a happy completion the journey of the Son of God. For He that descended is the same also that ascended above all the heavens, that He might fill all things. Now truly He has filled all things.

But now what part have I in this joyous festivity? I am assured that He shall come again. Yes, He shall come, most assuredly, and as He has ascended today; not in the way in which He descended before. For He came in humility the first time in order to save souls, but shall come in majesty and power the next time to raise up our bodies and to make them like to the Body of His glory.

Therefore, persevere so that through humility you too may attain to glory: for this is the way, and there is none other. It is humility alone that exalts, it is humility alone that leads us to Live. Learn of Me for I am meek and humble of heart.

Now Jesus fills all things!

[/left]

haha? Is that just a nervous sort laugh?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.