Jesus does not know the exact hour that he will come, only the Father?

This passage in Mark 13:32 has puzzled me. How was he speaking? Was it from his human nature, was it from his divine nature? How is this passage meant to be taken? If he is one with the Father, how is it he does not know the time of his coming? I am not looking for a debate, but a general rule or consensus of how this passage is to be taken.

As I understand it, the authority to reveal this information belongs to the Father and not the Son. Though, Jesus did give us some things to look for.

So then it looks like it was a issue of authority, not actual knowledge? This would make sense then.

I always took that answer to be hidden in the following. Jesus says this agout Himself. And He does this perfectly

*Jn 5:19 the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. *

*Jn 6:37,38 “I have come from heaven not to do my own Will, but the Will of the One who sent Me.” *

*Jn 12:49 For I did not speak of my own accord, but the Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to say it. *

*Jn 12:50 whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say." *

*Jn 14:10 The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. *

*Jn 14:31 I do exactly what my Father has commanded me. *

Lk 22:42 Not my will but yours be done

Therefore, the Father doesn’t want us to know that answer. Which makes sense, given the way humans can play games with life until they **know **they have no more time left. It’s better then to keep us humans on our toes so to speak regarding the answer to “time” in that question.

This subject is discussed in Haydock’s Commentary on Mark 13:32 and Matthew 24:36.

And in A Commentary on the New Testament published in 1942 by the Catholic Biblical Association on Matthew 24:36.

Never had a problem with this, and I don’t quite buy the explanation some of the Fathers say that it’s just that it wasn’t Jesus’ place to reveal. I would rather take the Lord’s words at face value: the Son does not know.

But there’s a simple explanation enough.

Through the Beatific Vision, he DOES know. It’s the only reasonable conclusion since he is God. There nothing that God does not know.

Through his infused knowledge, he DOES know because his human soul was intimately united with the divine nature through the Hypostatic Union.

Through his experimental knowledge he DOES NOT know, because this is the limited knowledge, one that can learn and grow, as the Gospels tell us.

The most straightforward answer is simply that in his experimental knowledge, the Son does not know these things.

He chose not to know. He willed it.

SteveB’s post is excellent.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.