Jesus' "failed" apocalyptic prediction?

I took this from a post from another thread and wanted to give it its own thread. This has always bothered me a bit and I’ve never really known what to make of it. What do we make of Jesus’ apparent failed apocalyptic predictions during His ministry?

Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. --Mark 13:30

When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.
–Matt. 24:34

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
–Matt 16:28

And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”
–Mark 9:1

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God.” --Luke 9:27

He hasnt failed, people just dont understand what it means and interpert it the wrong way.

Can you explain?

I’m definently not an expert, and this is being tossed out in a bit of ignorance, but I’ll toss out a theroy.

The kingdom of God came into power the moment he resurrected.

Maybe.

It does SEEM rather obvious that He was speaking of the end times though. Although I too am far from being an expert.

He was also speaking of the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD, the 911 of its day. Which was in the lifetimes of those who were listening.

it means that when we read scripture and we dont have clear understanding from God we misinterperete words. Thats where we need clear understanding from God and to guide use to the right meaning and to make sure it is backed up by other scripture in the bible.

right…so can you please explain the phrases in question in light of this. The thread is about what our understanding of those words should be. You don’t explain what a passage means by saying “we need a clear understanding.” That goes without saying. Thanks!

Mk 13:30 is about the fall of the city in AD 70 at least. Some people think it has connotations of events further ahead as well.

The rest are like Mystrx says, either from when He resurrected, or when The Holy Spirit came.

Solid Protestants will be in agreement with Catholics on these points I believe.

All of Jesus predictions are true and are an expanded fortelling of the things and events that are to come before He returns.

Luke 17:21

You won’t be able to say, ‘Here it is!’ or ‘It’s over there!’ For the Kingdom of God is already among you."

I took this from a post from another thread and wanted to give it its own thread. This has always bothered me a bit and I’ve never really known what to make of it. What do we make of Jesus’ apparent failed apocalyptic predictions during His ministry?

The kingdom of God came into being at the point of Christ’s death and resurrection. That kingdom - a spiritual kingdom - continues to exist today in the form of the Church.

Mark 13:30 explanation seems to make sense. Explanations of the other verses in question which I have heard seem like a stretch and an attempt to nullify something that is difficult to explain (explain away).

I mean, I am a serious Christian, and it would take a lot more than a few questionable verses in the NT to overtake the mountain of reasons which cause me to believe. So this isn’t a challenge to my Faith, at the same time, I don’t understand what to make of it.

The some that are standing here that will not taste death untill the Son returns is predating a time when Jesus will actually come back to judge everybody and seperate the sheep and goats for all the people that are born in that time, he is speaking to the deciples of this time and for future generations to come. God will not raise up somebody for the first resurection and put him to eternal death. Once you have been raised up on the first resurection you have eternal life. Man is to live life once then Judgement.

Just a curious note, this sounds like what the church is saying about the Pope and the media these days.

MY theory is John “saw” the kingdom in the spirit on that isle he was banished to… and wrote it down in Revelations…

:smiley: Yes it sure does doesn’t it?

Ah now that’s an interesting idea to contemplate I think. :thumbsup:

The Pope just needs to stay away from the lying media and the rest of the lying dogs.

sorry for misdirection of thread,
now stay on topic or i call mods :D.

I agree with this, and this is my understanding as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.