Jesus, Fully Human?

Was Jesus aware of his divinity? Would it matter if he was not aware of his divinity?

The church has no official teaching on whether Jesus knew he was God: This is up for theological debate.

It can be argued that it does not matter if he knew, but that is part of the above listed debate :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally think he always knew. I mean, if you look at yourself and realize at around 16 that you’ve never sinned, and you haven’t given birth to a God, well, then you probably are a God :smiley:

Josh

Scripture tells us that Jesus grew in grace and stature, speaking of his human nature. As for knowing about his divinity, he certainly knew before the age of 16, threej_lc. Remember that at age 12 he told Mary and Joseph when they found him in the Temple: “I must be about my father’s business.” He wasn’t talking about taking up carpentry.

The certain age Christ knew He was God, is not known, maybe you can ask Him when you get there but; it must of been at 12 or earlier since we have the temple scene.

Mary must have known it too. Why else her request at Cana? This was just at the change from His private life to His public life.

Hello Ruh,

I think we can be assured that Jesus knew the answer to the question on the Messiah’s divinity when He presented the question to the Pharisees.

Please visit Jesus Loves God

**NAB MAT 22:41 The Son of David.**In turn Jesus put a question to the assembled Pharisees, “What is your opinion about the Messiah? Whose son is he?” “David’s,” they answered. He said to them, "Then how is it that David under the Spirit’s influence calls him ‘lord,’ as he does:

‘The Lord said to my lord, Sit at my right hand, until I humble your enemies beneath your feet’?
If David calls him ‘lord,’ how can he be his son?" No one could give him an answer; therefore no one dared, from that day on, to ask him any questions.
**NAB JOH 10:36 **

I said, ‘I am God’s Son’ **NAB REV 22:16 **

“It is I, Jesus, who have sent my angel to give you this testimony about the churches. I am the Root and Offspring of David, the Morning Star shining bright.”

[quote=threej_lc]The church has no official teaching on whether Jesus knew he was God: This is up for theological debate.

It can be argued that it does not matter if he knew, but that is part of the above listed debate :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally think he always knew. I mean, if you look at yourself and realize at around 16 that you’ve never sinned, and you haven’t given birth to a God, well, then you probably are a God :smiley:

Josh
[/quote]

Here are the Dogmas:

The Attributes of Christ’s Human Nature

The Prerogatives of Christ’s Human Nature

1. Christ’s soul possessed the immediate vision of God from the first moment of its existence. (Sent. certa.)
  2. Christ’s human knowledge was free from positive ignorance and from error. (Sent. certa.) D2184 et seq.
  3. From the beginning of Christ’s life, His soul possessed infused knowledge (scientia infusa). (Senta. communis.)
  4. Christ’s soul possessed also an acquired knowledge or experimental knowledge (scientia acquisita, sc. experimentalis). (Sent. communis.)
  5. Christ was free from all sin, from original sin as well as from all personal sin. (De fide.)
  6. Christ has not merely not actually sinned, but also could not sin. (Sent. fidei proxima.)
  7. By reason of the Hypostatic Union, Christ’s human nature, through the Uncreated Holiness of the Word, is substantially Holy. (Sent. communis.) Cf. Luke 1,35.
  8. By reason of His endowment with the fullness of created habitual grace, Christ’s soul is also accidentally holy. (Sent. certa.)
  9. Sanctifying Grace overflows from Christ, the Head, to the members of His mystical Body. (Sent. communis.)
  10. Christ’s humanity, as instrument of the Logos, possesses the power of producing supernatural effects. (Sent. certa.)

Since Jesus the person was the 2nd Person of the Trinity, I think he must have been aware of His divine nature. He was not a human person but a divine person with both a human and a divine nature.

In his human nature he could grow in (human) knowledge. In his divine nature he was omniscient.

[quote=Della]Scripture tells us that Jesus grew in grace and stature, speaking of his human nature. As for knowing about his divinity, he certainly knew before the age of 16, threej_lc. Remember that at age 12 he told Mary and Joseph when they found him in the Temple: “I must be about my father’s business.” He wasn’t talking about taking up carpentry.
[/quote]

Whereas I personally agree with you that this is a sign that Christ knew he was God, the church still has not definitively taught this, and as such, is still up for theological debate. Thx to whoever already listed the church’s definitive teachings on the person of Christ.

I’ve heard a theologian who believed Christ didn’t know he was God explain such actions as above as “Christ was acting in his divinity, as was in his nature to do so, although he wasn’t aware of why he did so.” I could argue it further, but I don’t agree with it, so I won’t.

Of course, I’ve heard the same theologian say that Jesus’s question to the apostles of “Who do you say that I am?” was an honest question: Christ was having a personal identity crisis and wanted the apostles to help him out. :rolleyes:

[quote=threej_lc]ould argue it further, but I don’t agree with it, so I won’t.

Of course, I’ve heard the same theologian say that Jesus’s question to the apostles of “Who do you say that I am?” was an honest question: Christ was having a personal identity crisis and wanted the apostles to help him out. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

They had those back then? :rolleyes:

[quote=Ruh]Was Jesus aware of his divinity? Would it matter if he was not aware of his divinity?
[/quote]

These articles will help you in this matter:

catholic.net/RCC/Periodicals/Faith/0304-97/christo2.html

ewtn.com/library/CHRIST/DOUBLE.TXT

ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/CHRISK.TXT

newadvent.org/cathen/08675a.htm

ewtn.com/library/CHRIST/HUMAN.TXT

catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=6538

One can only wonder at the motivations of those who would deny Christ’s self-knowledge.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.