Jesus, hope for all

For several weeks now my parish has been singing as the second “agnus dei” verse, “Jesus, hope for all”, or “Jesus, King of kings”.

Does anyone else hear this happening? I understand it should be just plain ol’ “Lamb of God”. Does anyone have any documentation for that?

The Girm 83 states: “The supplication Agnus Dei, is, as a rule, sung by the choir or cantor with the
congregation responding; or it is, at least, recited aloud. This invocation accompanies the fraction
and, for this reason, may be repeated as many times as necessary until the rite has reached its
conclusion, the last time ending with the words dona nobis pacem (grant us peace).”

Should that be taken literally? With no room for improvisation? What do YOU think?

Thanks.

This is an interesting question. Reading the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy leads me to say “NO, this is not valid.”

Unfortunately, Conferences of Catholic Bishops in Canada & the US don’t agree with me or with many posters on this board. Canada showed this by including the setting for the Mass of Creation in its national hymnal (CBWIII) and the US with the recent document on music that specifically allows tropes.

Tropes? What’s a trope?

A word or phrase interpolated as an embellishment in the sung parts of liturgy

The additional tropes kick in only when the fraction rite takes longer. However, I do believe that the GIRM reference is applicable under the normal conditions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.