Jesus, I can't recieve you today

So in the past week I went to a daily mass. While I was meditating on Jesus I’ve thought of my past sins. I am currently a serious gamer; and if anyone doesn’t know what that is, it means I get paid to play video games. I get really into it and sometimes I slip the dam with a n word (haha). I know it really isn’t that bad, but I PERSONALLY know it is a sin. To me, I felt like that day I couldn’t receive Jesus in mass because I had a mortal sin. So I ask to you, if it is the tinniest sin out there, a little cuss word, an ego going too high, or anything else; but you know it is wrong, is it a mortal sin? From what I know as of now, a mortal sin is a sin you fully know you are committing when you do that sinful action. Of course you can’t receive Jesus when you have a mortal sin. So did I do the right thing by not receiving Jesus?

The N word? I would expect the F or S words while playing video games, but I haven’t heard anyone using the N word in that context.

Ed, don’t let your scruples get the best of you. As long as you didn’t use God’s name in vain by attaching it to the cuss word, you are not in mortal sin. Sometimes, these things slip. I have a problem with the word “idiot” and I use it all the time when I’m driving because I hate driving sometimes and my pride makes me feel like these people are in MY way, and they are ruining MY schedule. Yes, it can be a problem, and I am working on it constantly.

In no way should this inhibit you from receiving the Blessed Sacrament. You did not commit a mortal sin by what you described. Receive the Eucharist and then, if it makes you feel better, confess this at your earliest convenience. At the very maximum, it was a venial sin, if that. Venial sins don’t have to be confessed in order to receive the Eucharist, but wise saints have often prescribed that you should confess venial sins to continue on the path to holiness.

May God bless you as you strive for sanctity. :smiley:

He meant the word “dam*” (add an “n” to the end of it) not the word you thought. :wink:

JPUSC: LilFranciscan25 was right when I didn’t say the N word; but you would be SO surprised at how many people actually use that. For some reason whenever I play with my fellow teammates from the south they seem to say that every other word.

LilFranciscan25: Thank you very much for the advice! It seems so easy to cuss and not think about it. Then right when I’m at mass I think to myself “How am I so blessed to receive something this magnificent?” Then I think about how I’ve cussed and I put in my mind I’m not worthy enough. But I guess you are correct; thank you :slight_smile:

Oh, in that case, the D word is no big deal. :slight_smile:

Well you to it wasnt…:shrug:

. . . It seems so easy to cuss and not think about it. Then right when I’m at mass I think to myself “How am I so blessed to receive something this magnificent?” Then I think about how I’ve cussed and I put in my mind I’m not worthy enough. . .

When we think see something utterly disgusting right before our eyes we should bear in mind that is at least how bad our sins look before God.

Yes, it is easy to cuss and not think about it if you’re in a habit of doing so. It’s good that you are realizing it at this point. If you weren’t realizing this sin you would more easily begin to fall into greater sins. But you must additionally not only realize it, you must feel sorry and absolve not to do it again.

You are correct this is only a venial sin and should not necessarily stop you from receiving Communion. One of the greatest fears of Satan is a holy reception of Communion since this works greatly to impede your damnation. Satan snares many by people by their unbelief. The remainder he tries to snare by pulling too far in the other direction via scruples. In the end, the goal is met: deprivation of receiving Communion in a state of grace. Even though two opposite actions are applied by Satan here, he is still the source. For him, the ends justify the means.

Dear fulbert4605 :

I never thought of it like that! Thanks for the information!

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.