Jesus in black magic as a child?

Back in high school this pagen gentleman told me that Jesus was into witchcraft and all that as a child and the Catholic Church took that out of scripture to hide it from the faithful. Its been buggin me. Can anyone out there in cyberspace answer this for me?

Well that is the strangest accusation I have ever heard!:eek:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Well that is the strangest accusation I have ever heard!
[/quote]

I’ll second that! Just when you think you’ve heard everything!

I’d love to ask that gentleman to cite his source for that information!

What’s to answer? It’s a bunch of nonsense.

Read some good histories of the Catholic Church, such as this one.

That Pagan was probably talking about some of the trash that the Gnostics wrote in their “gospels”. Some of which portray Jesus as a willful brat who struck people with afflictions for simply bumping into Him. It’s trash and Christianity has never believed it or accepted it as true.

You shouldn’t either Montie…

Better off to spend time in These

Wow. Next I will hear about Jesus being a gay man with the apostles being his lovers. Ridiculous! Does this person have any sources? If he can give you some, bring them here. There’s plenty of good apologists here who can refute these sources. Or, he can come here himself and ask.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Back in high school this pagen gentleman told me that Jesus was into witchcraft and all that as a child and the Catholic Church took that out of scripture to hide it from the faithful. Its been buggin me. Can anyone out there in cyberspace answer this for me?
[/quote]

This pagan gentleman has a problem, in addition to the one that makes him a pagan. He is treating an ancient Gnostic gospel with the same weight as a true Gospel of the New Testament. I believe it is in the fraudulent Gospel of Thomas that the child Jesus allegedly made pigeons out of clay to impress all his childhood friends. This, of course, is the same text that alleges that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married.

Of course, these childhood pigeonmaking miracle stories are contrary to the Jesus of the New Testament who refused to perform signs and miracles when tempted. He did not perform signs to create faith, but performed signs in response to faith.

This pagan gentleman unsurprisingly is plagued by a lack of understanding of the oneness of the four Gospels and of Jesus’ message. Moreover, as a person without faith, he naturally treats these false gospels with the same weight as the True Gospels of the New Testament. If he read them, he might understand why making a clay pigeon is not something the child Jesus would do.

This pagan gentleman has a problem, in addition to the one that makes him a pagan. He is treating an ancient Gnostic gospel with the same weight as a true Gospel of the New Testament. I believe it is in the fraudulent Gospel of Thomas

There is another reference too, I will try to look it up and add it. It refers to Jesus creating a golem. It should be noted that it was never claimed that the child gained his powers from witchcraft, he just performed miracles of a less than pious nature. I believe the point of the story was that although divinely blessed, he was still a human with human faults to some degree (at least in his childhood). I was really surprised to see how many people here had never even heard of that…didn’t you ever get curious about Jesus after the manger, but before he was 30?

I believe you are speaking of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas. In the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, Jesus fashions twelve sparrows out of clay (not a golem). In this gospel, Jesus causes a child to wither, and strikes another child dead for banging into Jesus’ shoulder.

In the infancy gospel, Jesus aslo kills a teacher who hits Jesus on the head. Joseph tells Mary “[d]o not let him go outside the door, because anyone who angers him dies”.

Jesus also raises several people from the dead in the IG of T.

Wow. Next I will hear about Jesus being a gay man with the apostles being his lovers.

The homosexual Episcopal “bishop” made just such an accusation, at least by implication.

[quote=Wormwood] I was really surprised to see how many people here had never even heard of that…didn’t you ever get curious about Jesus after the manger, but before he was 30?
[/quote]

Most people never read the Bible, much less any Gnostic gospels or apocryphal texts. Many of the folks here regard the CCC as having more authority than the Bible. They should post a “Beware of Pharisees” sign at the entrance to Catholic.com.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Back in high school this pagen gentleman told me that Jesus was into witchcraft and all that as a child and the Catholic Church took that out of scripture to hide it from the faithful. Its been buggin me. Can anyone out there in cyberspace answer this for me?
[/quote]

Answer: :rotfl:

– Mark L. Chance.

[quote=Momofone]Wow. Next I will hear about Jesus being a gay man with the apostles being his lovers.
[/quote]

Isn’t there a play called “Corpus Christi” that does just that. And apparently it has been (or is being) made into a film.

Wormwood: Sure, we’re curious about the time period between the ages of 10 and 30, but the fact is that there are no records kept of him during those times, at least not that have survived. The Gnostic Gospels in question were written much, much later, and were universally rejected by the Apostalic Churches.

They are no different than if I were to sit down and write a story about that period of the life of Jesus today, fully out of my own head. They are worthless for information on Jesus, and dangerous insofar as people think they’re useful.

Cleopa: The fact that you believe the Pharisees believed in reincarnation, rather than resurrection seems to call into question your ability to compare them to anyone.

[/quote]

as with all such ridiculous claims, the person must be challenged to provide proof with evidence and documentation, or the allegation is not even worthy of comment or discussion or rebuttal

[quote=puzzleannie]as with all such ridiculous claims, the person must be challenged to provide proof with evidence and documentation, or the allegation is not even worthy of comment or discussion or rebuttal
[/quote]

You don’t get it. The Catholic Church destroyed ALL of the evidence and documentation! :rolleyes:

[quote=steve99]Isn’t there a play called “Corpus Christi” that does just that. And apparently it has been (or is being) made into a film.
[/quote]

There is such a play. But no film.

truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/gayjesusmovie.htm

[quote=asteroid]There is such a play. But no film.

truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/gayjesusmovie.htm
[/quote]

Interesting - I just got an email petition arrived today on this. So apparently it is circulating again.

Weren’t there certain implications along this line in later rabbinical teachings? I seem to remember this as part of a Jesus smear campaign, trying to thwart the growth of the Church.

[quote=cleopa]Most people never read the Bible, much less any Gnostic gospels or apocryphal texts. Many of the folks here regard the CCC as having more authority than the Bible. They should post a “Beware of Pharisees” sign at the entrance to Catholic.com.
[/quote]

Watch your charity levels.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.