Jesus in Heaven

Hi guys, I have a young Catholic friend who is only 15. She is Polish and is having some problems understanding her Faith… I would really like to help answer her questions but her English isn’t 100% (it’s fine, but its a little bit of a barrier) but also, I cannot properly articulate in a simple way, an answer to her question… Maybe there are some Polish members here who could help, or … maybe there is someone who could simplify the answer… here is what she asked;

Well…what about Jesus’ and Mary’s body ? People can’t go to Heaven, just their spirits, so what about it ?

… What she wanted to know was, after Jesus and Mary finished their mission here on Earth, why do their bodies not go to heaven, and is it just their spirits?

Thanks in advance. I hope I posted this in the right place!

Tell your friend about these passages about Jesus after He had risen from the dead:

John 20:
24 Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”
**So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26 And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.” **
28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Luke 24:
36 Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, “Peace to you.” 37 But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.”
40 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41 But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, “Have you any food here?” 42 So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. 43 And He took it and ate in their presence

www.biblegateway.com

I’ll leave up to someone more knowledgeable to talk about the assumption of Mary. However, the Catechism states:

966 "Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of lords and conqueror of sin and death."508 The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin is a singular participation in her Son’s Resurrection and an anticipation of the resurrection of other Christians:

In giving birth you kept your virginity; in your Dormition you did not leave the world, O Mother of God, but were joined to the source of Life. You conceived the living God and, by your prayers, will deliver our souls from death.509

508 LG 59; cf. Pius XII, Munificentissimus Deus (1950) : DS 3903; cf. Rev 19:16.
509 Byzantine Liturgy, Troparion, Feast of the Dormition, August 15th.

Catechism quoted from here

HI¨Princess,

There seems to be a contradiction between what she says and what you say. Does she expect Jesus and Mary to be in heaven with their bodies or not?

Anyway, here’s the Catholic Doctrine :

1. Jesus said that he would resurrect after death and he did. This is the foundation of our religion. If Jesus did not resurrect then He is a fraud, and our faith is a joke. After his resurrection, he showed himself several times to his friends, and then “retired” to heaven.

2. At the end of her life, Mary was taken to heaven with her body and soul. This is a special privilege she got as the Mother of Jesus.

3. we shall all resurrect at the end of the world; we shall have our bodies back in a glorified state (no sickness, no death, etc.)

Does this answer your question?

Verbum

It actually does answer my question. I am glad for both your answers cos it clarified some things for me as well! Previously, I asked a Protestant for an answer but it was a bit of a vague response and she knew nothing about Mary…

Thank you ==))) That is perfect!!

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.