Jesus Infant of Prague

Explore Virginia Stefano

Jesus Infant of Prague
infantjesus.com/

[left]This Infant statue is a gift given to me 15 years ago. Until then I didn’t know anything about the story behind the statue. Does anyone else have and display the Infant as I do?[/left]

Yes, my family displays the Infant of Prague in our home. I had it blessed by Fr. Hardon who also kissed it. 3rd Class relic?

[quote=GoodForm]Yes, my family displays the Infant of Prague in our home. I had it blessed by Fr. Hardon who also kissed it. 3rd Class relic?
[/quote]

Sounds like a double blessing!

Hello

That statue is beautiful and you are priviledge to have it.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

My brother served the Jesuits at Regis in Denver all summer long. They gave him a choice of rewards. Mom had warned not to bring home anything large so he didn’t choose the Infant of Prague statue. That was not what mom was thinking about and when she learnded he had passed it over for a medal she returned the medal and we got the statue with the hand missing. Why is it that the hand is often missing? Anyway I found one on e-bay and bought it,hand missing, and when I went to Rome I bought another, hand there.

[quote=contemplative]http://photobucket.com/albums/y188/ginnyroc/th_IMG_4132.jpg

Jesus Infant of Prague
infantjesus.com/

[left]This Infant statue is a gift given to me 15 years ago. Until then I didn’t know anything about the story behind the statue. Does anyone else have and display the Infant as I do?[/left]

[/quote]

Aww he is soooooo beautiful!! My mom especially has devotion to this beautiful infant Jesus. I LOVE HIM!!! My mother restored one in a local church here which had been abandoned and his vestments had grown old. Well, she had new vestments made for Him, and all. The returned his to the Church (of course all with the Pastor’s permission). I feel like hugging and kissing the Infant of Prague everytime I see him, really, he just inspires me and my mom to so much devotion. By the way since someone with semi-catholic/protestant beliefes is bound to say this is sentimentalism, it is not. Rather, it is a totally approved devotion to the infancy of Christ Himself, and many saints have had this devotion to Him. The Carmelite order spreads devotion to him.

[quote=contemplative]http://photobucket.com/albums/y188/ginnyroc/th_IMG_4132.jpg

Jesus Infant of Prague
infantjesus.com/

[/quote]

Great link by the way, thank you: I will show my mom as well. I love this Jesus. Maybe you can tell me more of his devotion and we can share stories, as well as mom.

Thanks, continue this great devotion!!

You might be interested in the National Shrine to the Infant Jesus in Prague, Oklahoma.

See links below:

geocities.com/adrian74864/

infantjesusofprague.org/directory.html

[quote=Ann Cheryl]That was not what mom was thinking about and when she learnded he had passed it over for a medal she returned the medal and we got the statue with the hand missing. Why is it that the hand is often missing? Anyway I found one on e-bay and bought it,hand missing, and when I went to Rome I bought another, hand there.
[/quote]

The hands break off very easily. My late grandmother was first generation from Polish immigrants. She had three Infant of Prague statues in her house (and, of course a few icons of Our Lady of Czestachowa; forgive me for misspelling it). One Statue was huge, about three feet. I wish I could have kept it but I had no way to move it. I think two of them were missing hands, and the large one may have needed a finger. She also had different clothes for one of the smaller ones.The Carmelite monstatery near her sold clothes for Infants of Pragues.

That was part of the story about the original statue too; that it had lost its hands, and some one heard a voice asking them to restore his hands and He would bestow many favors.

The website I provided offers the most eloquent words.

The very qualities of child-like simplicity, trust, humility and dependancy that characterize children need be contemplated, accepted and eventually adopted in our own lives as we live and struggle in a world of challenges and contradictions. Not so much ‘childish’ as child-like in nature, through prayer we humbly ask the Holy Infant to wean us of our need to control our family, friends and own personal lives as He teaches us to surrender all things to His will. With trust and faith in His words: “Ask and you shall Receive, Knock and the door shall Open”, we actively place our needs in His little hands in the hope that He will continue to show us what it means to be more like Him. In this respect, as our encounter with the King of Kings and Lord of Lords deepens, the lessons taught and shown to us through this particular devotion become even more crucial to our ability to successfully navigate through a chaotic world.

For years my own children delighted in changing the Infant’s cloak and hat. I never realized how important a reminder the Infant would be to my family to be child-like at heart.

There is a story about the hands of the original statue breaking. The story goes on to say that Jesus said “Give me my hands and I will give you peace” and “the more you honor me the more I will bless you” so if you have an Infant of Prague with broken hands glue the hands back if you have them or if you are really talented sculpt hands on the statue or if you can’t replace the hands you could just leave it without the hands.Also remember to honor the Infant everyday so He will bless you.
God Bless

[quote=SnorterLuster]You might be interested in the National Shrine to the Infant Jesus in Prague, Oklahoma.

See links below:

geocities.com/adrian74864/

infantjesusofprague.org/directory.html
[/quote]

Thank you for the second link especially. I did not even know there was a National shrine here in the USA dedicated to the Infant of Prague.

My spouse and I had the privilege five years ago to go to Prague and see the original statue where the miracles occured. It amazed to find out how small it actually is in size but the significance that the Infant of Prague has made in my own life and marriage has been phenomenal. I attribute a novena I made to the Infant when I was only 13years old, to the fact that I met my wife on the final day of my novena, only I did not realize it at the time. We formally met 7 years later, but in a picture taken at a wedding ceremony where I stood as the altar server, she stood next to me as a junior bridesmaid. I thank the Infant always for this great blessing in my life and ours. medjugorjecenter.org/prague/

I know this is a really old thread, but I was wondering if anybody had any more information about this. I can remember when I was little asking my parents about this. I didn’t know the statue was supposed to represent Jesus. I thought it was a girl in a dress. :o :blushing: My parents told me it was supposed to represent Jesus. I know people dress up their Infant of Prague statue in the liturgical colours. How did the Czechs start this custom? Do any other nationalities follow it? I know that it is definitely a Czech custom, since a man from my parish had his funeral at the Czech parish that he grew up in. The funeral parlour was also Czech. The prayer cards at the funeral parlour had an Infant of Prague picture on them. I am part Czech, but I do not really know anything about the customs of the nationality.

Bit of history on the Infant of Prague for you here

Thanks, LilyM! That was very interesting. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.