Jesus is God

Did jesus ever claim to be God or the Son of God?
(I am not including where He failed to confirm what others had said. “It is you who have said it” etc;).

[quote="Weissystems, post:1, topic:331521"]
Did jesus ever claim to be God or the Son of God?
(I am not including where He failed to confirm what others had said. "It is you who have said it" etc;).

[/quote]

In John 8 Jesus says, "Before Abraham was I AM" and the Jews picked up rocks to stone Him. They did this because He had just declared that the divine Name YHWH or I AM applied to Himself. The Jews understood perfectly this was a claim to deity and so they meant to stone Him for blasphemy.

Remember also at His trial He said, "In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." This is a reference to Daniel and the Ancient of Days giving the scroll of the Earth to the Son of Man who is divine, and even more "the clouds" are the shekinah which is the cloud that filled the Temple and The Tabernacle and was always understood to be divine. So Jesus is absolutely claiming to be divine. And again the Jews did not miss it, they declared Him a blasphemer worthy of death.

Don't miss the reaction of the people in Jesus own time to His words. We will twist words to try and make them mean anything or nothing, but those who heard the words from His mouth understood that He was claiming to be God. And that is really the only option we have. He is either a blasphemer who deserved His fate or He is the God He claimed to be. As C S Lewis said, "He has left us no other option, He did not intend to."

God Bless

In Matthew 12:6 Jesus says "I tell you something greater than the temple is here." What was the temple? The dwelling place of God on Earth, i.e. God's presence on Earth. What could be greater than the dwelling place of God on Earth? Only God himself. No angel, no prophet, no good teacher could possibly be greater than the place where man encounters God Himself.

Or

In John 14:9 Christ tells Phillip that "he who has seen me (i.e. Jesus) has seen the Father."

Or

The Sermon on the Mount (cf Matt 5 ff). Jesus says "it was said to your ancestors X but I say to you Y." X is a part of the Law of the Covenant, given by God Himself. No man had authority to change the Law - only God could have. Christ's treatment of the Law shows that He understood Himself to be the lawgiver - i.e. to be God.

Examples multiply.

Pope Benedict writes about this in JESUS OF NAZARETH, Volume 1. Pick up. It's worth your time.

God bless.

Read this article.

newadvent.org/cathen/14142b.htm

The Father-Son relationship is very clear from his own words.

John 4, Jesus meets the woman at the well and she mentions the messiah and Jesus says I am He the one who is speaking with you.

Jesus said that he is greater than the temple.

**I say to you, something greater than the temple is here.* (Matthew 12:6)*

The only thing greater than the temple is God who dwelt in the temple. Jesus said that he is Lord of the Sabbath.

**For the Son of Man is Lord of the sabbath.* (Matthew 12:8)*

The only one with lordship over the Sabbath is God himself who created the Sabbath and gave the Sabbath to man.

Jews in the first century who lived with the Law of Moses and Temple worship understood Jesus' words clearly as a claim to be divine. That is why they accused him of blasphemy and waned to kill him.

-Tim-

Both the OT and the NT, especially the Gospel of John, claim that Jesus is God.

Read the Bible. You might miss some references, like "Unless you believe that I AM you will die in your sins." (Gospel of John), because the I AM is used by God in the OT where the Lord God spoke to Moses and said, "Tell the Israelites that I AM sent you." Jesus is using the same Title in the NT, but you wouldn't know that if you don't read the Bible.

Jesus claims to forgives sins:

Mark 2:5-11 - "And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "My son, your sins are forgiven." Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, "Why does this man speak thus? It is blasphemy! Who can forgive sins but God alone?" And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, "Why do you question thus in your hearts? Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise, take up your pallet and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--he said to the paralytic--"I say to you, rise, take up your pallet and go home.""

Using the name 'Jesus' is like saying: 'Gesus / Druid Horned One'; His Name is 'Yahowaha' which means 'Yah Saves'. God's Name is Yahowah is based on the word 'hayah' which means 'I Exist' / I Was, I Am, I Will Be'. Yahowsha is 'qodesh, qodesh' which means 'set apart, set apart'; He is the 'Arm of Yahowah,' set apart from Him twice -- set apart from Yahowah, and then set apart into our 3-dimensional world to serve us . . .

“Lest (pen) I become satisfied (saba’ – comfortable with having met my own needs) and I am disowned, becoming insignificant (wa kahash – I am deceived, become unfaithful, bow in submission, and devalue the relationship, dissipating into nothingness) by saying (wa ‘amar – by wondering, thinking, boasting, avowing, asking, answering, or declaring): ‘Who is (my) Yahowah (hwhy- äéäå – Yahowah)?’ And lest (wa pen) I be disinherited (yarash – I become impoverished and dispossessed, I become destitute and destroyed), and I am caught in the act, arrested, and incarcerated for (taphas) removing without permission and carrying away by stealth (ganab – for secretly stealing and clandestinely removing) the personal and proper name (shem) of my God (‘elohym).” (Masal / Word Pictures / Proverbs 30:9

Mark 14:61But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?"

62"I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

63The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. 64"You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?" They all condemned him as worthy of death.

Contrast with:

Daniel 7:13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

Authority, sovereign power, glory, all nations worship him, everlasting dominion... If this is all meant for a mere man then Jesus and Daniel certainly were blaspheming and the Jews were right to put Him to death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.