Jesus/Joshua son of Sirach

Many of the patriarchs and prophets of the Old Testament are commemorated on the Church's calendar as optional liturgical memorials. Does anyone know if there is, on any licit liturgical calendar of any rite, a memorial/feast for the sacred writer of the Old Testament book of Sirach? I ask because a particular passage in this book spoke to me in a very powerful and personal way and ever since I came across that passage, I've invoked the intercession of Sirach. This book has always been widely regarded in the Church - and as an inspired book, surely the author was among those righteous awaiting Christ when He opened the gates to heaven.

[quote="twf, post:1, topic:307924"]
Many of the patriarchs and prophets of the Old Testament are commemorated on the Church's calendar as optional liturgical memorials. Does anyone know if there is, on any licit liturgical calendar of any rite, a memorial/feast for the sacred writer of the Old Testament book of Sirach? I ask because a particular passage in this book spoke to me in a very powerful and personal way and ever since I came across that passage, I've invoked the intercession of Sirach. This book has always been widely regarded in the Church - and as an inspired book, surely the author was among those righteous awaiting Christ when He opened the gates to heaven.

[/quote]

I don't know of any OT Patriarch or author that is on the calendar of saints. I've looked up a few lists and searched for Moses or Abraham (the Patriarch) and got zilch. If they're not there, then the author of Sirach isn't either.

That isn't to say someone hasn't catalogued them and assigned them a date somewhere, but you're not going to find them celebrated in any modern church calendar.

Perhaps you can use the date that you found inspiration as your personal commemoration of that author?

Moriah - Thanks for the suggestion - that’s a good idea.
Actually, a number of Old Testament patriarchs/prophets are commemorated liturgically (with optional feasts). The Roman Martyrology lists Adam and Eve on Dec 24 for example. I’ve come across optional memorials for a number of the prophets. In the Carmelite Order, the feast of St. Elijah is a solemnity! I just wondered if anyone knew if there was one for Joshua ben Sirach.

[quote="twf, post:3, topic:307924"]
Moriah - Thanks for the suggestion - that's a good idea.
Actually, a number of Old Testament patriarchs/prophets are commemorated liturgically (with optional feasts). The Roman Martyrology lists Adam and Eve on Dec 24 for example. I've come across optional memorials for a number of the prophets. In the Carmelite Order, the feast of St. Elijah is a solemnity! I just wondered if anyone knew if there was one for Joshua ben Sirach.

[/quote]

I don't think any of them made it to the modern post-Vatican II universal calendar. There are thousands and thousands of saints, but only several dozen on the official universal calendar. I haven't found an Internet log of the complete list. So, it would require rummaging through some dusty tome to find the dates for OT figures! Unfortunately, I don't have one of those at my disposal. :(

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.