Jesus, King of Kings. Who are the kings?

Someone suggested to me that the "'kings' that Jesus is King over is actually us Christians.

Does anyone know anything about this?

jd.

kings are anyone that you make them out to be, but there is only one King-Jesus.

I'm sure there's more than one possible interpretation.

I would look at it primarily in three ways (in no particular order).

First, He is King over all world rulers. All authority properly belongs to Christ and any earthly power cannot be but subject to Christ.

Second, He is King over all the baptized. When we are baptized, we become participants in Christ's priestly, prophetic, and kingly offices. In this sense, each Christian is a "king". underneath Christ our Sovereign King.

Third, He is King over every person -- indeed over all creation. No one is exempt from being subject to His rule.

[quote="Aussieman88, post:1, topic:331080"]
Someone suggested to me that the "'kings' that Jesus is King over is actually us Christians.

jd.

[/quote]

Here is an excellent article about what the Chirch means. When I first read this, as an American and recovering secularist, I was stunned, but then I began to understand it, and now love the concept :)

Aren’t the Kings a sports team of some sort?

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:5, topic:331080"]
Aren't the Kings a sports team of some sort?

[/quote]

:p Barely. :D

[quote="Aussieman88, post:1, topic:331080"]

jd.

[/quote]

He is king over all earthly rulers.

[quote="runningdude, post:7, topic:331080"]
He is king over all earthly rulers.

[/quote]

Does that include rulers that are 12, or 36 inches?

"King of kings" is originally this Ancient Near Eastern royal title, first used by Tukulti-Ninurta I of Assyria (šar šarrāni) was in the 13th century BC. Originally the title was literal: a šar or mlk was the title of a ruller of a city-state, and with the formation an empire in the Late Bronze Age, the Assyrian rulers installed themselves as rulers over the existing structure of rulers (kings) of city-states. Soon kings of other nations (like Persia or Babylonia) began to adopt the title and it spread. In Hebrew in particular "king of kings" could be read as a grammatical construction denoting the superlative (say, like "song of songs" - 'the greatest song' - or "holy of holies" - the most holy place).

Why not look at Revelation itself?

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

===

“Worthy are you to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation,
and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God,
and they shall reign on the earth.”

===

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.”

===

Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave, both small and great.” And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh.

Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain. And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he might not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be released for a little while.

Then I saw thrones, and seated on them were those to whom the authority to judge was committed. Also I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for the testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:8, topic:331080"]
Does that include rulers that are 12, or 36 inches?

[/quote]

What about 60 centimeter-long rulers?

[quote="patrick457, post:10, topic:331080"]

[/quote]

Those too, I would suppose.:shrug: Even Mr Obama!:eek:

Thanks Patrick, and every one.

[quote="Aussieman88, post:12, topic:331080"]
Thanks Patrick, and every one.

[/quote]

Mustn't forget Elvis , king of rock n roll or Michael Jackson, "king of pop.":rolleyes:

[quote="patrick457, post:10, topic:331080"]

[/quote]

Centimeters are the Devil's units!

;)

[quote="runningdude, post:14, topic:331080"]
Centimeters are the Devil's units!

;)

[/quote]

In my opinion inches and pounds are the devil's units. Nothing in that system makes any sense and is almost impossible to convert from one unit of measure to another. Metric system is base ten and much easier to work with once you get used to it.

To say that Jesus is the ''King of kings'' is a Hebrew way of saying that he is the greatest king. It is a superlative expression like ''song of songs,'' ''lord of lords'' (Deut 10:7), ''Vanity of vanities'' (Eccles 1:2). In Isaiah 6:3 and Rev 4:8 God is praised as being ''holy, holy, holy.'' This is another superlative expression, it means that He is the holiest of all.

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:15, topic:331080"]
In my opinion inches and pounds are the devil's units. Nothing in that system makes any sense and is almost impossible to convert from one unit of measure to another. Metric system is base ten and much easier to work with once you get used to it.

[/quote]

Blaspheme! :p

[quote="runningdude, post:17, topic:331080"]
Blaspheme! :p

[/quote]

If that's blasphemy let's make the most of it! :shrug:

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:18, topic:331080"]
If that's blasphemy let's make the most of it! :shrug: If not, then PEACE BROTHER! :D

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.