Jesus 'may have visited England', says Scottish academic

Jesus Christ could have come to Britain to further his education, according to a Scottish academic.

Church of Scotland minister Dr Gordon Strachan makes the claim in a new film entitled And Did Those Feet.

The film examines the story of Jesus' supposed visit, which survives in the popular hymn Jerusalem.

Dr Strachan believes it is "plausible" Jesus came to England for his studies, as it was the forefront of learning 2,000 years ago.

"Coming this far wasn't in fact that far in the olden days," Dr Strachan told BBC Radio 4's The World At One. "The Romans came here at the same time and they found it quite easy."

Dr Strachan added that Jesus had "plenty of time" to do the journey, as little was known about his life before the age of 30.

The legend that Jesus Christ came to Britain was popularised in a poem written by William Blake in the early 19th Century and made famous as a hymn 100 years later.

Read more: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8380511.stm

The story goes that he came with Joseph of Arimiathea, who was thought to be the uncle of Christ, and a tin trader, to England. I don't see as it contradicts any of our beliefs, so why not?

There is a legend that after the death of St. Joseph the Betrothed, St. Joseph of Arimathea was the nearest male relative of the Theotokos, and took her and young Yeshua to the British Isles.

It could have happened.

There’s also a legend that Jesus at some time went to India. There was trade between the West and India since the time of Alexander the Great, if not earlier.

It could have happened.

And it’s also entirely possible the Jesus just stayed home in Nazareth.

I’m putting my money on this one.

"He needed to go around to learn bits and pieces about ancient wisdom, and the druids in Britain went back hundreds if not thousands of years. He probably came here to meet the druids, to share his wisdom and gain theirs."

C'mon... He was visiting us Native Americans during this time.:rolleyes:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's too ridiculous for me to believe. Greece, Turkey, Eastern Europe, Saudi Arabia, sure. But no way England. Come on:)

Was it even a center of learning at that time? I believe that would have been Rome...

"He needed to go around to learn bits and pieces about ancient wisdom, and the druids in Britain went back hundreds if not thousands of years. He probably came here to meet the druids, to share his wisdom and gain theirs."

I don't think Jesus needed to gain wisdom from anybody else. He was God after all.

Dr Strachan believes it is “plausible” Jesus came to England for his studies, as it was the forefront of learning 2,000 years ago. …

“He needed to go around to learn bits and pieces about ancient wisdom, and the druids in Britain went back hundreds if not thousands of years. He probably came here to meet the druids, to share his wisdom and gain theirs.”

“St Augustine wrote to the Pope to say he’d discovered a church in Glastonbury built by followers of Jesus. But St Gildas (a 6th-Century British cleric) said it was built by Jesus himself. It’s a very very ancient church which went back perhaps to AD37.”

We don’t even know if Druids were in Glastonbury during the 1st century.

Anyway, Druids were being suppressed by Emperor Tiberius in the 1st century and I don’t think they were considered in the “forefront of learning” at the time. Romans tended to think of 1st century Druids as barbarians who believed in human sacrifice.

If Joseph of Arimathea was indeed a wise and rich merchant (he would have to be to travel as far as Saxony), he probably wouldn’t risk alienating Rome by fraternizing with Druids.

be that as it may but He did according to the Bible and disappeared during the ages 13 to 30 and on return was asked to pay “the stranger’s tax” - twinc

It was a temple tax, not a stranger’s tax.

see Matt 17:

24 20 When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the temple tax 21 approached Peter and said, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the temple tax?”

25 “Yes,” he said. 22 When he came into the house, before he had time to speak, Jesus asked him, “What is your opinion, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take tolls or census tax? From their subjects or from foreigners?”

26 23 When he said, “From foreigners,” Jesus said to him, "Then the subjects are exempt.

27 But that we may not offend them, 24 go to the sea, drop in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up. Open its mouth and you will find a coin worth twice the temple tax. Give that to them for me and for you."

footnotes:

20 [24-27] Like Matthew 14:28-31 and Matthew 16:16b-19, this episode comes from Matthew’s special material on Peter. Although the question of the collectors concerns Jesus’ payment of the temple tax, it is put to Peter. It is he who receives instruction from Jesus about freedom from the obligation of payment and yet why it should be made. The means of doing so is provided miraculously. The pericope deals with a problem of Matthew’s church, whether its members should pay the temple tax, and the answer is given through a word of Jesus conveyed to Peter. Some scholars see here an example of the teaching authority of Peter exercised in the name of Jesus (see Matthew 16:19). The specific problem was a Jewish Christian one and may have arisen when the Matthean church was composed largely of that group.

21 [24] The temple tax: before the destruction of the Jerusalem temple in A.D. 70 every male Jew above nineteen years of age was obliged to make an annual contribution to its upkeep (cf Exodus 30:11-16; Nehemiah 10:33). After the destruction the Romans imposed upon Jews the obligation of paying that tax for the temple of Jupiter Capitolinus. There is disagreement about which period the story deals with.
22 [25] From their subjects or from foreigners?: the Greek word here translated subjects literally means "sons."
23 [26] Then the subjects are exempt: just as subjects are not bound by laws applying to foreigners, neither are Jesus and his disciples, who belong to the kingdom of heaven, bound by the duty of paying the temple tax imposed on those who are not of the kingdom. If the Greek is translated “sons,” the freedom of Jesus, the Son of God, and of his disciples, children (“sons”) of the kingdom (cf Matthew 13:38), is even more clear.
24 [27] That we may not offend them: though they are exempt (Matthew 17:26), Jesus and his disciples are to avoid giving offense; therefore the tax is to be paid. A coin worth twice the temple tax: literally, “a stater,” a Greek coin worth two double drachmas. Two double drachmas were equal to the Jewish shekel and the tax was a half-shekel. For me and for you: not only Jesus but Peter pays the tax, and this example serves as a standard for the conduct of all the disciples.

usccb.org/nab/bible/matthew/matthew17.htm#foot23

Of course He could not bi-locate now could He?

I think he is reaching......I have never heard of this in tradition nor in scripture...legends abound about what Christ might have done

Christ is available for us all to visit any time in the Blessed Sacrament, and that is what should really matter

[quote="redrosetea, post:12, topic:177632"]
I think he is reaching......I have never heard of this in tradition nor in scripture...legends abound about what Christ might have done

Christ is available for us all to visit any time in the Blessed Sacrament, and that is what should really matter

[/quote]

It is tied into the Grail legion and King Arther with a little bit of inflation of the importance of Druids thrown in for good measure.

[quote="gilliam, post:13, topic:177632"]
It is tied into the Grail legion and King Arther with a little bit of inflation of the importance of Druids thrown in for good measure.

[/quote]

Yes I know, and from what I am given to understand , the New Agers have really, taken over the Shrine at Glastonbury....i

[quote="lemonbeam, post:1, topic:177632"]
Read more: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8380511.stm

[/quote]

England as the "forefront of learning" 2000 years ago?
LOL

That's just....funny :D
England was a backwater barbarian hole in the ground during ALL of Christ's lifetime. The Roman conquest, and following "civilizing", of "Britannia" wasn't BEGUN until 43 AD about a decade after the Ascencion.

I think the idea that Jesus went to India is more plausible than this (not that I believe that either, mind you!)

I think I’ve seen this thread before…

:compcoff::yup:

“Jesus lived in India”

Arian Catholics believe Jesus went to England

Jesus played Cricket, manuscript suggests

The Lamb of God in Engalnd!?

I think we can all agree He went neither to England to play cricket or learn from the Druids, nor to India to learn from the Buddhists. But on the other hand, there is a dark period in His life, and some legends do say that He visited England with Joseph of Arimiathea. Whether He did or not, we will never know, and in the end it doesn’t matter much. But it is an interesting idea, I think.

[quote="praise_Jesus, post:7, topic:177632"]
I don't think Jesus needed to gain wisdom from anybody else. He was God after all.

[/quote]

according to the Bible He grew in wisdom - twinc

He knew scripture so it would appear he was a student of Jewish Law…he stunned the rabbis at age 12

I think everyone wants to get into the action and claim Christ…well they can by worshiping only him

Britain was populated by nomadic people who painted themselves blue until the coming of the Romans, at which point they probably started living in towns and taking advantage of Roman technology. I seriously doubt they had any “centers of learning” - the English language didn’t even get its own alphabet until the 700s AD.

The Emperor Hadrian took one look at my ancestors and thought he was seeing demons from Hell - that’s why he built that wall - he thought it was the edge of the world, and he didn’t want people accidentally falling into Hell (aka Scotland).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.