Jesus' Miracles

Some time ago I asked a question about why God doesn't resore missing limbs, fingers or toes these days.
What about in Biblical times? Did Jesus restore missing body parts other than the severed ear?

Also, are there any saints besides St. Anthony of Padua who restored missing body parts?

I apologize that I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure the stories about Saint Anthony restoring missing limbs is a myth. I could be wrong though.

That said, I'll see if I can find an answer to your question.

As for showing proof I cannot, for I don't even know of accounts of what you're asking, though there are plenty of miracle healing accounts from history and modern within the Church. But that is an excellent question that I think was originally asked by someone who thought they were proving against Christianity. Unfortunately people assume that the only Christian claim to miracle healing that is done these days is the phony televangelists like Benny Hinn and some of those Pentecostal groups, but that is not where the healings happen. The real stuff happens where money and fame is not being made from it. I have no doubts that there are healings of missing limbs. I know there are numerous modern accounts of people being brought back from the dead, and terminal illnesses that have been turned into perfect health, so I would not be surprised if there are amputees being restored.

[quote="COPLAND_3, post:4, topic:341217"]
As for showing proof I cannot, for I don't even know of accounts of what you're asking, though there are plenty of miracle healing accounts from history and modern within the Church. But that is an excellent question that I think was originally asked by someone who thought they were proving against Christianity. Unfortunately people assume that the only Christian claim to miracle healing that is done these days is the phony televangelists like Benny Hinn and some of those Pentecostal groups, but that is not where the healings happen. The real stuff happens where money and fame is not being made from it. I have no doubts that there are healings of missing limbs. I know there are numerous modern accounts of people being brought back from the dead, and terminal illnesses that have been turned into perfect health, so I would not be surprised if there are amputees being restored.

[/quote]

You know what? Miracles happen everyday before our eyes but we don't notice them. So far I haven't seen news reports about bread and wine becoming the body and blood of Jesus on an almost daily basis, and that's probably the biggest miracle of all.

[quote="patrick457, post:5, topic:341217"]
You know what? Miracles happen everyday before our eyes but we don't notice them. So far I haven't seen news reports about bread and wine becoming the body and blood of Jesus on an almost daily basis, and that's probably the biggest miracle of all.

[/quote]

True!:thumbsup: But what about the miracles of Jesus or the saints?

[quote="patrick457, post:5, topic:341217"]

[/quote]

There is a frequent poster on CAF who had lymphoma and received the sacrament of anointing at the hospital. He was seriously ill but had a sudden recovery immediately after receiving the sacrament. The doctor's couldn't explain it.

He said it was very humbling because he knew that his soul wasn't ready for heaven and that God was giving him more time, that his physical healing was God giving him a second chance to amend his life.

-Tim-

He cured lepers, and I think we can assume that at least some of them had missing parts.

I think Jesus did restore body parts that were missing. Remember when He healed the leper? If you've ever seen photos of lepers, they lose their toes, fingers, and noses & sometimes ears and lips. Occasionally feet as well or at least in leprosy the feet become black and die. So depending on how severe the leprosy was in this case, He probably did restore some body parts, since He told the leper to show himself to the priest to show he was clean. Actually, he healed several lepers on that occasion, but only one returned to thank Him.:)

[quote="Ad_Orientem, post:8, topic:341217"]
He cured lepers, and I think we can assume that at least some of them had missing parts.

[/quote]

When its said in some Biblical translations that Jesus made the maimed whole, doesn't that also mean he restored their body parts?

In addition John concludes the Gospel reminding us that not all miracles were written in the Gospels:

How about today? Wouldn't exist people that were blessed with outstanding miracles, but have chosen to keep them in secret?

Yes, "maimed" can be a twisted limb, a paralyzed limb or a missing limb, so these would be replacing body parts, in effect. Could also be a missing ear, finger(s) or hand or arm.:) It could also be a twisted or broken spine!

Even the Risen Jesus retained the wounds in his hands and feet.

I'm sure there are such miracles today as well, since Jesus is the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow. There have also been some really miraculous healings, especially at Lourdes. I'm sure there are some people healed through prayer who do not want to be known, or put on TV or in the newspapers, so they just keep quiet about it.

to KKOLWITZ -- (hope I spelled that right!) Yes, Jesus retained the marks of the nails and the spear when he appeared to the Apostles, in order to prove to them that He had Arisen.. However, St. Francis is said to have had the marks of the Crucifixion until his death, when they disappeared. So did St. Padre Pio, I believe.

[quote="judynurse, post:12, topic:341217"]
Yes, "maimed" can be a twisted limb, a paralyzed limb or a missing limb, so these would be replacing body parts, in effect. Could also be a missing ear, finger(s) or hand or arm.:) It could also be a twisted or broken spine!

[/quote]

God is good!

Sehttp://www.faithandfamily.org.uk/publications/jack_traynor.htme
Jack's atrophied limbs were renewed; his useless arm renewed and the hole in his head grew new bone. Adore our Christ in His love for His Blessed Mother.

[quote="Petaro, post:17, topic:341217"]
Sehttp://www.faithandfamily.org.uk/publications/jack_traynor.htme
Jack's atrophied limbs were renewed; his useless arm renewed and the hole in his head grew new bone. Adore our Christ in His love for His Blessed Mother.

[/quote]

Could you link us some other way? It won't come up.

Not originally shared by me, but I guess this is correct:

faithandfamily.org.uk/publications/jack_traynor.htm

[quote="Cartesian, post:19, topic:341217"]
Not originally shared by me, but I guess this is correct:

faithandfamily.org.uk/publications/jack_traynor.htm

[/quote]

Thanks, I just found it myself, too. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.