Jesus/Moses parallels?

I’ve been asked a question on another board. It relates to my associating the walk of the Hebrews through the desert with our walk through the desert of life. I know that there are parallel’s between Jesus and Moses, especially as I recall in John’s Gospel. Anyone have an article or a source or some input? Thanks. (Yes, John 6 is full of them).

Here’s a start:

From catholic.com/thisrock/2001/0109fea2.asp
MOSES

1. Evil king tried to kill him as a baby (Ex. 1:22)
  2. He was hidden from this evil king (Ex. 2:2)
  3. He was saved by women: his mother (Ex. 2:3); Miriam, his sister (2:4, 7–8); and Pharaoh’s daughter (2:5–10)
  4. Pharaoh’s daughter, the princess, adopted him (Ex. 2:10)
  5. Therefore Moses was a prince (Ex. 2:10)
  6. Long period of silence from youth to adulthood
  7. He had a secret identity (Ex. 2:11–12)
  8. He saved Hebrews (Ex. 2:11–12)
  9. Went from prince to pauper (Ex. 2:15–19)
  10. Saved women at a well (Ex. 2:16–19)
  11. Saved gentile (Ex. 2:16–19)
  12. Became a shepherd (Ex. 3:1)
    General Observations:
  1. Moses was a prophet
  2. Often rejected by his own people
  3. Led God’s people from bondage
  4. Led to the Promised Land
  5. Gave a law to live by from a mountain
  6. Knew God better than anybody else

CHRIST

1. Herod tried to kill baby Jesus (Matt. 2:16)
  2. An angel said to hide the child (Matt. 2:13)
  3. Mary saved and helped Jesus (Matt. 2:14, Luke 2:48), and other women help Jesus (Luke 8:1–3)
  4. Joseph adopted him (Matt. 1:25)
  5. Was the Prince of Peace
  6. Long period of silence from youth to adulthood
  7. The Messianic secret—Jesus healed and asked that it remain secret (Matt. 8:4)
  8. Of course he did!
  9. Went from owning the universe to being a common workman (John 1:1–3, Mark 6:3)
  10. Saved a Samaritan woman at the well (John 4:6–7, 25–26)
  11. Saved *all *gentiles (Luke 2:29–32)
  12. Is the Good Shepherd (John 10:11)
    General Observations:
  1. Jesus is *the *Prophet
  2. His own people rejected him
  3. Leads us from bondage of sin
  4. Leads into the Kingdom of God
  5. Gave us the Gospels and the New Testament
  6. Of course he does!

Also:

Num.11:25
When the Lord took of the Spirit which
was upon Moses and gave it to the seventy elders, they
’prophesied, and did not cease’

Luke 10:1
After these things the LORD appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.

I’m really considering writing a small book on Typology for Catholic Beginners that has things like this in it. What do you think? Would you buy it?

RyanL

Ya, that helps alot. Thx dude.

[quote=RyanL]Here’s a start:

Also:

I’m really considering writing a small book on Typology for Catholic Beginners that has things like this in it. What do you think? Would you buy it?

RyanL
[/quote]

I think it’s a great idea. There’s a couple of books out there that address it from a Catholic view (most notably Making Senses Out of Scripture, by Mark Shea), but there’s still room for lots more, especially if you restrict the discussion to types. Go for it.

As a side note, I was listening to a Protestant preacher the other day and he was talking about OT/NT parallels. It struck me how he kept referring to it as “prophecy.” That’s where a lot of them get into trouble, I think, that when they define prophecy in such broad terms that it starts meaning just about anything that touches on a future reality.

On the book, yes. Good idea. My faith is so strengthed by typology and most Catholics don’t understand it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.