Jesus never promised to keep the Church from error

This post was moved from a thread where it was off topic

When He prayed for unity, He made it clear that unity is based on adherance to the Truth. “Thy Word is Truth”. That means doctrinal unity. When He told the Apostles to “teach all that I have commanded” He was commanding doctrinal unity.

Jesus made this promise only to the Church. I agree that individuals are not covered, unless they are in union with the Church. That is why the Church can prevent the teaching of false doctrine, and prevent misunderstanding.

No, I think not. The reason that Jesus gives the HS to believers is to keep them in union with the Church. To the extent that believers are not, they resist the HS. The reason He gave the HS to the Church is to prevent misunderstanding.

You make my point above, that the HS does not prevent individuals from going astray. The HS does keep the Church from going astray, so the extent to which individuals remain in unity with Her, they will stay on track.:thumbsup:

Certainly not! On the contrary, authority resides in every validly ordained bishop throughout the world.

Just for clarity, there is only one Church, and all these faith communities are members of the One Church. They are all in unity with one another in faith and doctrine.

Rome developed primacy because both Peter and Paul lived, taught, and died there. It was a mecca of orthodox doctrine. This fact is attested to throughout the early fathers.

The initial policy was to receive the Teachings of Jesus as handed on by the Apostles. Later, some of those teachings were committed to writing, but there was never any thinking to separate the Sacred Writings from Sacred Traditions from whence they came. Authority belonged to the Bishops,the successors of the Apostles.

The followed the sacred traditions that were taught to them by the Apostles and their successors. The Divine Liturgy has changed very little since the last supper.

You make it sound like it has to be either/or, but it is not. The NT clearly talks about recognizing and submitting to authority, and we also see this clearly in the ECF. In the early days of the Church, the catechuminate lasted three years. I agree that there was not as much to learn as there is now, but there was plenty! It is teaching people a way of life, and it does not happen overnight.

I don’t see where you get this at all.

Kudos on your clear and very erudite explanation. This is a most excellent exposition of the information. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.