Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI

Has there been a discussion on this book yet?

I don’t know, but it is an awesome book. A bit of a dry read, but you learn a lot!

Excellent book.

My impression reading this was that I could be blown away with simply reading two or three sentences in a row, so dense and articulate was it. But the drawback was, given my peabrain, that if I read another two or three sentences, I would have totally forgotten the first impression. So I could not appreciate any overall coherence.

Reminded of the Far Side cartoon, where the kid in class raises his hand and asks, “Excuse me, may I go now? My brain is full.”

I hope that my commentary is more one of the intellect of Benedict, and not one of my intellect. But oh well.

It was very deep and rewarding, inspirational, but difficult. And maybe just a sign that, I need to read it again.

I’m about half-way through it! I think Obama should read the chapters on the “Temptation of Jesus” and the “Kingdom of God.” Benedict clearly condemns a society that shoves God aside, and then establishes social programs to save the little people.
(If you have a copy of the Doubleday hardcover book, check out the bottom of p. 42 through 44, and also the bottom of 53 through 54.)

i agree.

**What a beautiful work with incredible insights and depth!

It is so rich and deep that i have taken to reading only 1 or 2 pages at a time and then rereading and reflecting.

Highly recommend this book to all Christians, not just Catholics!!**

Sacta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

I agree that it is thick and a bit dry, but I always hear father Groeschel praise the book, and other people talk so much about how good the book is that I will have to start to read it again.

I will take my time and not try to read to finish it, but, rather, read to fully comprehend what the Pope says.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.