Jesus on the Cross -- Hungry and Thirsty

In general, it is easier to notice things that are visible rather than things that are present but hidden from view. The human conditions of natural or physical hunger and thirst are sometimes not visible. The spiritual condition of lacking True Sustenance is often not visible to those who suffer the most.

Perhaps it is also true with our understanding of Jesus dying on the cross. When Jesus was dying on the cross, it seems that every detail was according to God’s eternal plan.

Question 1: Why was it that Jesus was hungry and thirsty? He was hungry because He had not eaten perhaps since the Last Supper. Nevertheless, why was He hungry? Moreover, He was thirsty. We know that because He said “I thirst”.

Question 2: Why did this happen? – Matthew 27:34 "…they gave Jesus wine to drink mixed with gall. But when he had tasted it, he refused to drink."
Why?

I will look back at the answers, so please reply if you have ideas.
= = = = =
My thoughts:
**Q1: **Matthew 5:6Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.” Could it be that Jesus suffered natural hunger and thirst so that those who suffer spiritual hunger and thirst (for righteousness) would be satisfied?

Yet with Q1 I have heard other points of view.

Q2: Isaiah 64:4-6 “Would that you might meet us doing right, that we were mindful of you in our ways! Behold, you are angry, and we are sinful; all of us have become like unclean men, all our good deeds are like polluted rags; We have all withered like leaves, and our guilt carries us away like the wind. There is none who calls upon your name, who rouses himself to cling to you; For you have hidden your face from us and have delivered us up to our guilt.”

Jesus was offered something and He refused. Could the reason be that the best works or deeds of even the very best men are not acceptable in God’s sight? Apart from Christ, there is no righteousness.

[quote=jmm08]Jesus was offered something and He refused. Could the reason be that the best works or deeds of even the very best men are not acceptable in God’s sight? Apart from Christ, there is no righteousness.
[/quote]

I am a little confused. How does Jesus not accepting wine on the cross have anything to do with works or deeds? Maybe you could explain further.

Didn’t Jesus refuse the Wine because it had some kind of drug in it?

Jesus may have been thirsty but the statement is also fulfilling the scriptures.
Psalm 22:16 My throat is dried up like baked clay, my tongue cleaves to my jaws: to the dust of death you have brought me down.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.