Jesus Only the Son of God

My husband keeps on arguing that Jesus is only a man and the Son of Man, Son of God. That Jesus had no power, that only God gave Jesus power. Jesus wouldn’t have any power without God.

I cannot argue with my husband anymore about where he is wrong in the translation of the Bible because of my children and we get into heated arguements.

He is listening to the Bible on CD. Should I stop him from doing this? He has not be raised in any religion as a child. This is all new to him. He hates any type of authority. He doesn’t like the Church, reading or studying.

What can I do?

pray that your husband’s study will lead him to more understanding…
eventually he’ll get to John chapter 1…

oh, and don’t argue… :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Here are some questions that you might want to ask him:

If you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God than how is He not also God? When human beings have sons are not their sons of the same nature as their parents (humans)? Has a human being even given birth to a son of a different nature (for example a woman giving birth to a chimp)? Would not God the Father’s Son also be of the same nature as God the Father (Divine)?

I believe the difficulty your husband is having is based in the fact that when the Son of God came among us he did not use his divine powers but rather worked his miracles through the Holy Spirit to show us that we too can do works for God even though we are not divine as he was. He called himself the Son of Man because that was the title of the long waited Messiah, so he was identifying himself as the Messiah by using that title.

Reading the Bible is a fine thing to do, but if we don’t understand what the terms in it mean we can’t understand what is being said or what the passage means. The reason the Church has the right to determine what the Bible means is that, essentially, the Church is the author of the Bible in the prophets of the OT who looked forward to the Messiah and in the fact that Jesus gave the Church, in the Apostles and their successors the authority to decide matters of faith and morals, and it was they who wrote the NT.

It’s just about who knows what the Bible says and why, not about the Church imposing its will on anyone. Ask him if he sent you a letter who would be able to explain some unclear word or passage to you, him or a stranger off the street? He would, of course. It’s the same for the Church. The Bible is its books, so it has the right to tell us what it means.

Jesus says in John 10:30 that he and the Father are one. What else can that mean?

-ACEGC

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Jn 20:28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (the Word is the Divine Logos, the 2nd Person of the Most Holy Trinity, Jesus Christ)

Also, print this out and give it to him to read:

scripturecatholic.com/jesus_christ_divinity.html

God bless,

We must understand that Jesus, although God, submits wholly to the will of the father, thus, he and the father are one. In fact, it couldnt be any other way.

Thus, when he says, I do only the will of the father, he is not demeaning Himself, but rather glorifying God the Father all the more.

Christ was fully man aswell and thus could not claim equalness to God. However, it doesnt not make Him God.

In Christ.

Andre.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.