Jesus' post-Resurrection appearances

During the Octave of Easter, the Gospel readings present Jesus appearing to the Apostles in Jerusalem one day, then feeding them breakfast in Galilee, then appearing with them back in Jerusalem.

Why did Jesus have the Apostles go back to Galilee and their former occupation of fishing? What is the timeline of these diferent appearance venues?

:hmmm:

=DivotDan;12900513]During the Octave of Easter, the Gospel readings present Jesus appearing to the Apostles in Jerusalem one day, then feeding them breakfast in Galilee, then appearing with them back in Jerusalem.

Why did Jesus have the Apostles go back to Galilee and their former occupation of fishing? What is the timeline of these dfiferent appearance venues?

[slight correction needed]

God did not cause them to return to the civil world; but only permitted it.

Everything that God either causes or permits, has as its foundation two things, two realities;

1. It is done for the possibility our OUR Spiritual betterment [if and when we choose correctly]

2. And FAR more importantly it is done that God WILL BE Glorified, by permitting us to choose Good or choose evil; to Love God or to hate God.

Now to answer your question.

This took place before the First Pentecost to make clear to those who have eyes and CAN see and Ears and Can hear that we NEED GOD in our lives.:thumbsup:

Isiah 43: verses 7 & 21". [7] “And every one that calleth upon my name, I have created him for my glory, I have formed him, and made him.” … 21] This people have I formed for myself , they shall shew forth my praise. "

The appearances were to further solidify in the minds and hearts of the Apostles and the disciples the REALITY of His Resurrection. But even at the time of the Pentecost, doubts remained. John 20:16-23

God Bless you,

Patrick

PJM, thank you for the theology, but I was looking for a more down-to-earth explanation for why Jesus appears to them after the Resurrection, then I find them fishing on the Sea of Galilee as if Jesus had never called them in the first place! I’m so corn-fused!!!:confused:

=DivotDan;12901573]PJM, thank you for the theology, but I was looking for a more down-to-earth explanation for why Jesus appears to them after the Resurrection, then I find them fishing on the Sea of Galilee as if Jesus had never called them in the first place! I’m so corn-fused!!!:confused:

OK:)The . men on the Road to Emmaus, did not recognize Christ until the “Breaking of the Bread”, and they returned to the Apostles and told them, bu still some disbelieved.

God can EXCLAIMED "It IS the LORD!

Shortly thereafter they OBEYED Christ [whom some still were not convinced of] to cast their nets over the right side EVEN after having fished “all night” and NOT catching anything. This was the sigh of Faith that permitted the miracle and recognition of CHRIST:)

Hope this helps you?

God Bless,

Patrick

PJM, I’m still cornfused because I read in (I think) one Gospel that post-Resurrection Jesus told the Apostles that he was going ahead of them to Galilee and that they should meet him there, but in another Gospel he told the to remain in Jerusalem until he sends the Paraclete. I’m soooo cornfused!!:blush:

Just an educated guess, but the apostle’s homes were in Gallilee, and Jesus did most of his work in Gallilee, so there would be more people in Gallilee than in Judea who knew him and accepted him. And it was safer for them there in Gallilee than in Judea.

Although we are told a few of Jesus’ appearances, there may have been many more. If I’m not mistaken, one of the evangelists said that he appeared to over or about 500 people.

Why were they told to wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit? Jerusalem was the holy city, where they had the Last Supper and the Apostles were made priests. It was also the city where Jesus was the sacrificial lamb on the cross. It would also be fitting that the apostles receive the Holy Spirit there as well.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

Does anyone know if there are any appearances by Jesus from back then up to our modern times, like anytime from 34 A.D. up to current time?

It seems like he would appear to someone, somewhere over the course of that many years…right? I know there are verified appearances of Mary, so there should be some of Jesus too imo.

After Jesus’s arrest, the apostles were at loose ends. Resurrected Jesus wasn’t visiting them all that often, and gave them no firm directions about the future. Small wonder Peter went back to fishing. It wasn’t until Pentecost that the Apostles really got with the program.

St. Faustina 1930’s.

If we look at Jesus’ appearances to His apostles: He appeared on Sunday evening for the first time; a week later on Sunday evening for the second time when Thomas was now present. Passover lasts for a week so it was not unreasonably for then to still be in Jerusalem if the weather was bad. And then the third time (John 21) after they have gone fishing in Galilee so at least a week later because of the time it takes to journey to Galilee. Judah had the money bag so they don’t have any money so, they are hungry and trying to figure out how to feed themselves, so they go back to trying to earn a living as they had before they were called.
This time there is only one boat (peter’s bark), when they were first called there were two boats. I am confident that Peter’s boat represents the Catholic church, so initially the two boats would represent the Jewish faith and the new Christian faith. At first both were reaping a bountiful catch/harvest. Now only they church is reaping a bountiful harvest. At first the nets were torn, now they are not, at first the fish were small, now they are large. A good reason to go back to Galilee was because that is where the bulk of Jesus’ disciples were so the obvious place to meet 500 at the same time. Finally they all return to Jerusalem as Pentecost approaches (and the law requires that they go to Jerusalem for Pentecost). Hopefully this explains why the visit in Jerusalem and the journey to Galilee and the return to Jerusalem.
grace and peace,
Bruce

Excellent explanation! Thanks!

I published a journal paper in 1998 in “Melita Theologica” [Journal published in Malta] which examines all the appearances and proposes an order to the appearances. Paper is 22 pages long and cannot easily discussed in this type of forum. I will say that I believe that there were a total of seven appearances. If interested in obtaining a copy, email me at dje14338@gamail.com.
Dave

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.