Jesus Rejected A Man who wanted to become His Disciple - Mark 5:18-19 (About Who Are Qualified to become Clergy)

I think the church is a place for sinners, and all people is called to be baptized and attend Mass. This include people with SSA.

However, the bible passage below shows that, not all people are qualified to become clergy, because Jesus didnot allow the man who had been possessed by legion-- despite he had been delivered & was in his right mind-- to follow Jesus to become one of His disciples.

Mark 5
18 When Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been possessed begged to stay with him.
19 Jesus would not let him and said, “Go home to your people and tell them how much the Lord has done for you and how he has had mercy on you”

This verse has nothing to do with becoming clergy. Jesus wanted the man to demonstrate the glory of God to his family

its meant to read the Glory of God

Jesus didn’t say “You can’t be my disciple”.
Jesus said “Don’t travel with me. Instead go home and evangelize your family and your neighbors.”

You are right, Jesus didn’t say “you can’t be my diciple”. All people are called to dicipleship. I used the word “diciple” in the title wrongly. My apology.

I interpreted “following Jesus around” as being “a clergy”, or a certain position in His Ministry different than the rest of his audience, I guess. :thinking:

continue

and the fact that many people wanted to follow Him around, but Jesus only allow 12 of them to really follow Him physically everywhere and talk openly to them.

So Jesus did have some “standard” in mind.

@Roseeurekacross

It may seem that it has nothing to do with it. but the book of leviticus say that homosexual act is an abomination, a form of worshipping other god/ gods.

Who are these people? :sunglasses:

I’m goofy over God.
Crazy for Christ.
Jumpin’ for joy over Jesus.

lol thats the funniest auto spell check ever.

we christians are all goofy for God!
Pliny said these christians sing hymns to their God and seem quite non dangerous, he was charged with killing us out.
Porphery said we were all quite mad

Jesus had thousands following him. Read the Gospels, the poor guy couldn’t even eat in peace, they were lowering their sick and injured through the roof for him, because they couldn’t get through the gate due to crowds.

all goofy for God! :slight_smile:

I am not following how the homosexual debate relates to the exorcism of one very blessed man who was then told to go home and show his family the Glory of God in his healing

I don’t think that passage refers to Jesus “rejecting” him, I think it refers more to the fact that everyone has a role in this life. Jesus told him to go and tell other people, for the glory of God. That was his assignment. The apostles had other assignments. And a lot of the disciples that followed Jesus around weren’t even given tasks.

I think it was an honor to this man that he was given a specific task by Jesus. :blush:

Your OP appears to be all over the place.

The church is a place for sinners, yes.

Not all people are ‘qualified’ to become clergy (women cannot be priests), yes, but anyone can become a disciple, as long as one wants to.

Mark 5:18-19 does not support your assertion as it was something else altogether. Actually Jesus accepted him as His disciple when he ‘commissions’ him to go back to tell his people what the Lord had done for him. Today, it can mean to proclaim the Good News, to evangelize, and to be witnesses. And one is a disciple in order to do the work of the Lord.

God bless.

Where did you ever get the idea Christ was rejecting him? Rather he was commissioned by Christ to serve as an Evangelist to testify to the Good News!

You all are right: Jesus allow all people to follow Him. Jesus didn’t reject sinners to follow Him.
And even the 12 disciples, it seemed like He didn’t really qualify them: they were uneducated, one of them was a tax collector, and they eat without washing their hands!

However,
He spoke openly only to the 12, whereas, to the rest of the people, He spoke in parables (Mat13:10-11). The 12 also go wherever Jesus go almost at all times, while the rest of the people not as much. So, based on these facts, I suppose, the 12 enjoyed somewhat “clergy” role (beside dicipleship role).

And in Mark5 it is said that “Jesus would not let the man” (verse19) despite “he begged that he could stay with Him” (verse18)

So my point is, the above passage somewhat give us a clue that Jesus somewhat has some criteria for such position to whom He would speak openly to, otherwise the passage would have recorded “He let him stay with Him” after the man begged Him to.

more bible quotes

Leviticus 18:
22 You shall not lie with male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
30 Keep my laws and do not follow any of these abominable customs which were practiced before you, so as not to defile yourselves by them; I am Yahweh.

Many years ago editorialist Ann Landers formed it a different way. She said the Church was a hospital for sinners.

As to your quotes, I feel it could be that Jesus saw this man’s gifts obtained from the Holy Spirit(made alight from his cure). It would seem Jesus headed him in the right direction where he would find it and put it in practice. He becomes an apostle but not one of the 12.

I would love that Jesus physically appeared to me and sent me on such a personal mission. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Jesus healed the man who was possessed. So, yes. the church is a hospital for sinners.And after healed, we are called to evangelize to our own family and the people around us. Just like the demoniac at Gerasa in Mat5 above.

Jesus had not been gloified at the time, hence the Holyspirit had not come.
I would love to receive such mission too.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

So, as The book of Leviticus 18:22 mentions that homosexual act is an abomination,

Jesus also warn that those who are not vigilant after being delivered from evil spirits (abomination spirits), they may end up worse because as long as a person still entertain homosexual thoughts (if the person accept the idea that homosexuality is a form of sex just similiar to heterosexuality), the spirits that was driven out of him, would comeback bringing with them more evil spirits.

Luke 11
23 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me, scatters.
24 When the evil spirit goes out of a person, it wanders through dry lands, looking for a resting place;
and finding none, it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’
25 When it comes, it finds the house swept and everything in order.
26 Then it goes to fetch seven other spirits, even worse than itself. They move in and settle there, so that the last state of that person is worse then the first.

And I suppose, the above passage is the reason why Jesus rejected the Demoniac man at Gerasa. That man was possessed by so many spirits that killed so many swines when Jesus delivered the man from it.

And this generation keep entertaining an idea of homosexuality as a sexual orientation, instead of an abomination. I think its time for this generation to repent from such idea. Such idea is an entrance for evil spirits to enter a person, and we will find that we are more and more “tolerant” towards the idea of homosexuality.

Paul’s letter to the Romans warned that “they applaud those who commit the act”

Roman 1
26 … their women exchanged natural sex for unnatural ones
27 Similarly the men…
32 … not only do they do all these things, they even applaud anyone who does the same.

This passage has nothing to do with clergy or clerical requirements. And if you examine the passage you will see that Jesus tells him to be an “apostle” of sorts to the Gentiles.

This passage indicates Jesus had/ has a standard for clergy/ clerical position. Not just anybody/ any sinners can become a clergy, according to Him:

Jesus say

Luke 6
39 “A blind man cannot guide a blind men, can he?” Will not they both fall into the pit?
40 "A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.

The above is other reason why a clergy cannot be just anybody. If they don’t believe that homosexuality is a form of abomination, they should not teach and mislead those who hear them.

Side note here.

Remember that Magdalene was possessed by seven demons and followed all the way to the cross.

The demoniac was not excluded from what Christ instructed him to do. He told him to go home.

She became a saint. so most probably the evil spirits didn’t comeback to her.

however, there are cases where the evil spirits comeback with their many firends: that is, if the person maintain an open gate for them to come in (and this is my main point here)

a clergy who thinks that homosexuality is somewhat benign, maintains an open gate for the abomination being taught in the church. in turn, it becomes an open gate for the whole church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.