Jesus' Resurrected Body: Superfluous? Functioning? Facade?

One thing that distinguishes Christianity from other ideas of the afterlife is that Jesus didn’t just become a god when he died, like Roman Emperors. He came back to life in the flesh, in a human body, the same one that was lying in the tomb (transformed but still human). That’s why the tomb was empty.

But I’ve never quite understood this concept. I see two main problems with it: (1) It seems superfluous to me. (2) It’s either functioning or it’s a facade.

1. Superfluous

What would a god need with a physical human body? When you pray to Jesus, does he hear you with his human ears? Could he hear you without his human ears? Obviously he could. So why does he need them? When you pray for Jesus to intervene in your life, such as keep your family safe on vacation, does he use his human arms or strength? Obviously not.

What can Jesus do with a human body that he can’t do without it?

1. Functioning or facade?

If Jesus has a physical body then does that mean he breaths? If not, then it’s not a human body. It’s just a shell, a facade. If he breaths, then he has lungs. If he doesn’t have lungs, it’s just a facade. If he has lungs, then does he have all his internal organs. This, to me, seems problematic if taken to it’s logical conclusion.

Thoughts on either, or both?

My guess would be Jesus’ body is in its glorified state, the way all human bodies started out as. But, because of original sin we have to deal with the pains of an imperfect world: sickness, disease, death, eating, breathing, etc. All these things we were not originally made to experience.

So you’re saying he doesn’t breath? He doesn’t have any internal organs? Then wouldn’t that make him just a shell, a facade?

Jesus didn’t have a body for himself. He had one for us. He came as one of us to be more present to us. God doesn’t HAVE to do anything, because he is God. He does all that he does for his creatures.

[quote=travisbeloved] Jesus didn’t have a body for himself. He had one for us. He came as one of us to be more present to us. God doesn’t HAVE to do anything, because he is God. He does all that he does for his creatures.
[/quote]

With all due respect, you haven’t answered any of the questions I posed in the OP

Yes I did, God does not need a human body, he chose to have one to relate to his creatures and for his Son to give His life for us. This renders all your other questions answered. He doesn’t need ears or organs or any such things, he chose them for himself.
Jesus breathed when he was humanly alive on earth but he doesn’t need his body in order to breath. He chose that. He has everything that humans have because he chose it not because he needs it.

If Jesus does not have a body then the resurrection of the dead and everlasting life we profess in the creed at Mass is a lie and that the Eucharist is not Jesus.

The body and soul are separated when someone dies. Jesus died once for all and his soul was separated from his body, but his body and soul were reunited in the resurrection. For him to not have a body now means that he died a second time, that his body and soul were separated again after the resurrection. That would mean that Jesus is dead and that the resurrection of the dead and life everlasting is not true. Did Jesus die once or twice? Have you forgotten about the resurrection of the dead and life everlasting or do you not believe it?

The Eucharist is the entire substance of Jesus’ body, blood, soul and divinity. How could we receive the entire substance of Jesus’ body and soul in the Eucharist if Jesus’ soul is separated from his body? What we receive is the resurrected Jesus - united body and soul. We do not receive the dead Jesus - one who’s who’s soul is separated from his body.

His body and soul must be united or the Eucharist is a sham and we will not inherit eternal life.

-Tim-

[quote=travisbeloved]Yes I did, God does not need a human body, he chose to have one to relate to his creatures and for his Son to give His life for us.He doesn’t need ears or organs or any such things, he chose them for himself.
[/quote]

Interesting. Since we haven’t physically seen or heard or touched him for 2 thousand years, then he hasn’t needed it to “relate” to us. So, when will he start using it to “relate” to us?

[quote=travisbeloved] Jesus breathed when he was humanly alive on earth but he doesn’t need his body in order to breath.
[/quote]

Does he have lungs?

[quote=TimH] If Jesus does not have a body then the resurrection of the dead and everlasting life we profess in the creed at Mass is a lie and that the Eucharist is not Jesus.

-Tim-
[/quote]

So what do you think, Tim? Does Jesus breath?

Jesus is God and all power in heaven and earth is his so he can do whatever, wherever, however, to whoever he wants. If he wants you to understand the what, who, how, when, where etc. you will know in due time. Ask him in faith and perhaps you will get an answer if it is in his will.

[quote=gmanlq] Ask him in faith and perhaps you will get an answer if it is in his will.
[/quote]

Well you could ask him in faith and, once he let’s you know, you can tell us both the answers to the questions posed in the OP. Start by asking Jesus in faith if he breathes and has lungs. Keep my posted.

I’m sure he does.

Sorry my answer above ended up in your quote somehow.

[quote=travisbeloved] Probably at the 2nd coming, he gave us everything we needed for earthly life when he came the first time…Peter the Rock and the succession of the Popes.
[/quote]

So if the only reason he has a human body is to “relate” to us physically and he hasn’t been using it for 2,000 years, it’s been superfluous for all that time. Right? And, will continue to be superfluous for the foreseeable future. Interesting. Well, really, he may as well just have put his body aside for a few thousand years till he was ready to use it. Certainly hasn’t needed it up to now.

[quote=travisbeloved] I’m sure he does.
[/quote]

Oh ok. Does he use his lungs? Does he breath so you think?

I dont think Jesus needs to breathe, no. He’s also not a shell or a facade, but a glorified body that serves as an example of what we can expect to occur at the Resurrection of the Dead and the way our existence will be in Heaven; an existence where eating, drinking, sleeping, worrying, etc will not be needed or relevant anymore.

1. He chose to have a body then to come to us a baby and be among us as one of us. We consume his body every Sunday at mass and often on the weekdays as well so that would be a use for his body right now. He will come again in his body at the 2nd coming. It seems to me he has gotten a lot of use out of it. But he doesn’t necessarily even need to use it for any reason. Because he’s God he can have a body if he so chooses. This is just a strange question all around to me.

2. I’m sure he used his lungs when he was on earth…does he use his lungs in Heaven? I don’t know, I’m not there…hope to be someday, God willing.

This is a good point. At the second coming we will walk through walls and be invincible so we probably won’t need to breathe and therefore Jesus probably doesn’t either…but he still has his body.

Whence comes all the emotion in the questions and in the reply to the answers? What is your belief as to Jesus and His current existence?

[quote=TheHolyGhost] I dont think Jesus needs to breathe, no.
[/quote]

Then he wouldn’t breath, unless it’s just for show, which would be strange. So, my question then would be why does he have lungs if he doesn’t need them or even use them?

Scripture tells us clearly that the resurrected Jesus breathed before the ascension.

And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. (John 20:22)

Jesus’ breath is the Holy Spirit. The word spirit comes from the Latin word spiritus which means breath.

But is there air in heaven? Or does the resurrected and glorified Jesus need to breathe actual air? Consider that the resurrected and glorified Jesus was able to walk through walls (upper room) and appear and disappear at will (road to Emmaus). The resurrected and glorified Jesus was able to transcend the laws of physics, time and space. He even did that before he was resurrected and glorified when he walked on water. So does Jesus need to breathe? I guess not if he doesn’t want to. Maybe he only breathes on Tuesdays when he feels like it. :shrug:

I like to breathe, especially at the end of a good, hard run. :wink:

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.